Buyer is claiming she wants free postage or she wont pay even though postage was clearly stated.

A buyer bid on and won an auction .She then messaged me saying she only bid with the condition of free postge ( even though the postage cost was clearly stataed). She is saying that if I accept free postage she'll buy it but if I dont she wont. Basically trying the blackmail / bargaining! 

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Buyer is claiming she wants free postage or she wont pay even though postage was clearly stated.

Seriously, you think it is to do with the messages here that I do not wish to buy from some sellers. That is really a pathetic and childish way to think. It was a genuine question  from a "neocyte" I think it was that I was called.
Some of you really have way too much time to hold grudges against someone you do not even know.

I call things as I see it, if that is a problem for you, then that is what it is.... your problem not mine.
Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Re: Buyer is claiming she wants free postage or she wont pay even though postage was clearly stated.

"Pathetic and childish"   That is rich coming from someone who withdrew a Cudo because they thought the poster was rude.

I believe the word you are looking for is neophyte which is what you have been calling yourself ever since you came to the boards.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

Thank you!thats great advice. I have sent her a message to agree to cancel the sale. I wanted to go through with it just out of principle but they are obviously a tad troubled and its not worth my energy. Good luck to the next poor seller!

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

If it was a genuine question you would have simply followed the link padi gave, rather than having another shot at people who provide factual answers on the boards.

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

How much was postage? If they have to save up to pay $10 or so, then they are definitely not worth the risk or the trouble of following through with a sale.

Personally, even though it could well send them complaining to the boards, I would have cancelled using the 'buyer address' or 'buyer requested' option*. Any other and you are dependant on her agreeing to cancel.

* It's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure what the current options are.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

@mani_aus wrote:

Thank you!thats great advice. I have sent her a message to agree to cancel the sale. I wanted to go through with it just out of principle but they are obviously a tad troubled and its not worth my energy. Good luck to the next poor seller!

The only probem with going down that route is that the buyer can still leave feedback, and may decide to give less than satisfactory feedback.

With an unpaid item case neither party can leave feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

It was a $24.00 sale =$8.95 postage. Ive just started regularly selling so Im not sure of all the options yet. Learning fast though , Ive already had a few issues to solve...I had someone win a bid then immedietly cancel and other annoyances. I guess you get it dealing with customers whether its face to face or not.

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

@mani_aus wrote:

It was a $24.00 sale =$8.95 postage. Ive just started regularly selling so Im not sure of all the options yet. Learning fast though , Ive already had a few issues to solve...I had someone win a bid then immedietly cancel and other annoyances. I guess you get it dealing with customers whether its face to face or not.

It can be a minefield.

If in doubt, ask here.

There are centuries of eBay selling experience on the boards and there will almost certainly be somebody who's had the same issue.

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

@mani_aus,

The buyer's behaviour is as out of order as the lift in the building where Sheldon Cooper lives.

It falls under behaviour described in eBay's Abusive buyer policy, and as such, it should be reported.

Behaviours we don't allow

Don't demand something not offered in the original listing

Not allowedNot allowed
  • Requesting a postage service not offered by the seller
  • [...]
  • Requesting additional items or services not included in the original listing or asking for a discount
  • [...]

A buyer wanting you to send by free postage could aptly come under either of those two points.

There is also the implicit threat when your buyer messaged you with "It better be goid [sic] quality or she'd return it".

Don't make false claims

Not allowedNot allowed

• [...]
  • Claiming an item was not as described in order to return the item when the seller did not offer free returns

Not to mention that your buyer was misusing the message system to coerce you into agreeing to something you didn't offer:

Don't misuse eBay messaging or bidding

Not allowedNot allowed
  • [...]
  • Sending messages to force or intimidate the other member into something outside of the original agreement

The link to report the buyer is --->. PoliceWoman

(Just click onto the policewoman.)

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

The only probem with going down that route is that the buyer can still leave feedback, and may decide to give less than satisfactory feedback.

With an unpaid item case neither party can leave feedback.

Hence why you want to get a buyer to agree via message, if you can - if they can leave FB after a cancellation (many actually can't, though), it should be a quick conversation with eBay to get it removed on the following grounds:

A) the buyer attempted to re-negotiate terms of sale after purchasing (breach of policies)

B) the buyer indicated intention to return after their attempts at re-negotiation were unsuccessful, which can be taken as a tacit pre-dispatch COM request, when the seller doesn't accept COM returns, thus was interpreted as a cancellation request (conspiracy)

or C) the buyer expressly agreed to a cancellation

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply