Buyer is making an untrue return request!

angoo007
Community Member

Hi there,

I have a US-based buyer here that is requesting a return and full refund of his expensive sneaker purchase because apparently, he received it "not as described".

Now, I thought his address was a bit suspicious before shipping out (I know, hindsight sucks) so I took the liberty of taking several photos and a video of the shoes showing all sides etc etc before shipping just in case he tried to pull exactly what he is doing now...

His original request comment stated that the "soles were dirty, the shoes had creasing, the laces were untied, and that they are worn", however, the pictures and video that I took the SAME day I shipped the item out disproves all 3 of those claims, and the extra lace bag was even still attached to the shoes so how can they be worn?! I responded by saying exactly that and sent him those photos and videos however he still insists on keeping the return request open until eBay intervenes and refuses to provide any pictures of what is wrong... I might add here that the buyer has ZERO feedback and I have 100% positive feedback.

I spoke to eBay live chat and they essentially told me that once it's escalated to eBay they will not require the buyer to provide any photos of what's wrong (which is ridiculous because he is obviously lying) and will pretty much definitely grant his return request and give him a full refund disregarding all the photos and videos I've sent and the fact that he doesn't have to show anything because there's a money-back guarantee or something... Furthermore, apparently I will have to pay for the return postage???!! How is this even allowed at all...

I am worried that eBay will refund him straight away and I will be sent a fake pair of shoes back, not the pair that I sent him which is exactly how this scam works. Even if I do get sent the correct pair back, he will have probably tried them on or whatever, and I will be out ~$100 from the cost of shipping to him, and then the return postage cost...

I have already reported the buyer to eBay but I don't think that is going to get me anywhere so what can I do to prevent eBay from accepting his return request? I have already given all the proof I have in the back-and-forth with the buyer but from what it sounded like when I spoke to the live chat guy, eBay wont even care to look at any proof and will just grant the return straight away...

What can I do?? Any help will be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I'm really sorry to say but I think the buyer has played you well on this and knows his word against yours will prevail given eBay's bias towards buyers. It's the dark side of online selling and some people know how to take advantage of it.

Zero feedback probably means they have done it to a number of buyers prior to you with other accounts, so there's no visible history of any feedback left by disgruntled sellers.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@angoo007 wrote:

Hi there,

I have a US-based buyer here that is requesting a return and full refund of his expensive sneaker purchase because apparently, he received it "not as described".

Now, I thought his address was a bit suspicious before shipping out (I know, hindsight sucks) so I took the liberty of taking several photos and a video of the shoes showing all sides etc etc before shipping just in case he tried to pull exactly what he is doing now...

His original request comment stated that the "soles were dirty, the shoes had creasing, the laces were untied, and that they are worn", however, the pictures and video that I took the SAME day I shipped the item out disproves all 3 of those claims, and the extra lace bag was even still attached to the shoes so how can they be worn?! I responded by saying exactly that and sent him those photos and videos however he still insists on keeping the return request open until eBay intervenes and refuses to provide any pictures of what is wrong... I might add here that the buyer has ZERO feedback and I have 100% positive feedback.

I spoke to eBay live chat and they essentially told me that once it's escalated to eBay they will not require the buyer to provide any photos of what's wrong (which is ridiculous because he is obviously lying) and will pretty much definitely grant his return request and give him a full refund disregarding all the photos and videos I've sent and the fact that he doesn't have to show anything because there's a money-back guarantee or something... Furthermore, apparently I will have to pay for the return postage???!! How is this even allowed at all...

I am worried that eBay will refund him straight away and I will be sent a fake pair of shoes back, not the pair that I sent him which is exactly how this scam works. Even if I do get sent the correct pair back, he will have probably tried them on or whatever, and I will be out ~$100 from the cost of shipping to him, and then the return postage cost...

I have already reported the buyer to eBay but I don't think that is going to get me anywhere so what can I do to prevent eBay from accepting his return request? I have already given all the proof I have in the back-and-forth with the buyer but from what it sounded like when I spoke to the live chat guy, eBay wont even care to look at any proof and will just grant the return straight away...

What can I do?? Any help will be appreciated! 

I have been in a similar but a little diff. situation with a few international sales of VHS video tapes where the buyer claimed the tape did not work, however the tape DID WORK as I played all tapes work from start to finish. The video was a PAL video and not NTSC (which was listed in the description). These sold to ebay US... and their customer service is horrible and they do not respond to your messages and phone calls. Both times I explained in detail, and showed a video of how a PAL tape does not work in US and they still gave a refund saying the tape was defective. I went to ebay australia on chat about 5 times and eventually found someone who refunded me half of the sale price. (go to the invoice section to speak directly with a client - although this will probably change). 

So... talk to ebay aus and you'll probably get a refund, but it won't come from the buyer from my experience. If you want a refund from the buyer, you need to ask for the SHOES BACK. Ebay will then maybe give you a refund from buyer if your policy states that you want the shoes back - before refunding it's rule that buyer has to give the item back before refunding. Give a sob story about your shoes meant so much to you and you want to keep/wear them and really want them back. Then if the buyer refuses to send them back, i think ebay may get them to refund you. 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can do win this dispute. In these situations, eBay will always side with the buyer regardless. All you can do is accept the return and wait for the shoes to arrive. If you don't accept the return, eBay will close in the buyers favour and they will get a full refund and get to keep the shoes. 

Even if the buyer sends back a different pair, there is nothing you can do about it.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Unfortunately, the items you're selling are a magnet for scammers.

Not much you can do other than to request a return. Since the buyer is overseas, you cannot send a return postage label, and the buyer will have to pay something out of their own pocket to send whatever it is they plan on sending back - this may be enough to stop them proceeding. Fingers crossed.

Only refund once you have the item back (buyer will have to send with tracking) and let us know if they send anything other than the original item.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I know it is probably a pointless exercise, but would it be worth making a report to the United States Postal Inspection Service?

If they are serial scammers there might be some other reports.

Just a thought.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I think what all the others have said holds true. You are probably best to accept this return & at least the buyer will need to return something and initially they will have to pay out of their own pocket (this may be enough to turn them off a return, though don't count on it) although that postage cost will be refunded too.

This is just a thought. If you're selling something that is expensive and it is something such as clothes or shoes, where fit is a major factor, you've got a whole lot more risk going on than you would have with some other products. When a customer gets something that maybe doesn't fit perfectly or doesn't look quite right on, there is going to be the temptation to try to claw their money back somehow and the easiest way for them is a 'not as described' claim. 

In most change of mind returns (where they are allowed by a seller), a buyer usually pays return postage. Even that won't suit some buyers as they won't want to be eg $50 out of pocket with postage. So you're still at risk of an item not as described claim.

Given that sneakers are in what I'd call the high risk category, you might like to tweak your ads for those sorts of items and block international buyers from bidding. I know that cuts down on the number of possible customers but what it also does is dramatically cuts down on the postage costs. It won't necessarily stop some buyers from making a dodgy not as described claim but you won't lose anywhere near as much on the deal. Plus I think it would be easier & faster to get your items back, you could just issue a postage label.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

angoo007
Community Member

Ridiculous guys! eBay just chose his side and refunded him entirely. About to chargeback with my bank now. The buyer opened a case and literally 1 minute later got an email saying he got refunded so they didn't even look at any evidence I provided.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@angoo007 wrote:

Ridiculous guys! eBay just chose his side and refunded him entirely. About to chargeback with my bank now. The buyer opened a case and literally 1 minute later got an email saying he got refunded so they didn't even look at any evidence I provided.

If ebay have closed out.   Did the buyer pay with via PAY PAL if so rise a case with them under seller protection.    They will be forced to return the item or pay pal will  refund you if they do not return item.

If NOT paid by pay pal this is why ebays MP are screwed as it stops the second line of protection that sellers had with pay pal....   For these very cases...

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah he paid with PayPal and I've already opened a case with them. If that fails then I'll just chargeback with my bank. This guy has scammed the wrong buyer trust me I will not stop until I've gotten my money back!
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply