Buyer open defective item case for a change of mind return..

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice.

A buyer opened a defective item case against me, but after reading the reason it was just "I didn't like it". The item is as described and not at all defective. Of course, I shouldn't be obligated to pay for return postage (or even accept the return at all) for a change of mind return, but because he's opened a defective item case it doesn't seem I'm given a choice. I've contacted the seller and recieved no response. I feel like eBay need to enforce some kind of punishment for buyers that do this sort of thing...

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer open defective item case for a change of mind return..

@wholesale-ninja,

Some of the experienced sellers might have a better answer, but I'd suggest that you get in touch with eBay right away. eBay's "Have us call you" option is by far the best way. You need to explain this in person.

eBay say:

We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

Point out that the buyer actually stated in the case that the reason was "I didn't like it", and that this is the very definition of a change of mind return. Ask that the case be closed immediately on that basis.

Be very polite, no matter what happens.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Unfortunately some buyers know how to work the system.

I had a buyer in the past who did exactly the same thing - opened a NAD case but said she didn't like it as she wanted me to pay the return postage.

Accept the return - many times they don't realise they have to send it with tracking within a certain time frame or the case times out in your favour.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I only looked at a couple of your listings, so obviously I don't know if you have different return policies on different items, but the ones I looked at offered 30-day returns, buyer pays return postage, so technically you wouldn't be able to reject a change of mind return had that reason been selected (I'm just mentioning this because you stated you shouldn't be obligated to accept a COM return at all, but you are if you offer them on that particular item, and when you speak to an eBay rep about this case, they may advise that you need to accept the return, but aren't obliged to pay return postage - if you offered returns on that item, that is...and it was within the return timeframe, as well).

That aside, countess is correct; if the buyer has incorrectly and provably opened a case for not as described, you need to get in touch with someone by phone, as the automated steps on eBay are invariably going to work against you - the response from the eBay rep will vary, but (anecdotally) sometimes they will close a case if you didn't offer COM returns, other times they will say what I mentioned above - accept the return, don't provide postage. If they advise the latter, ask them directly what options you have if the buyer leaves a neg for not supplying return postage (the goal there is to get the rep to say that it can be eligible for removal, and then get them to send you that in an email). 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I find ebay quite fair in this sort of matter. When a buyer opens a SNAD or defective case for an obvious change of mind, ebay has always sided with me. Well, by "sided with me" I meant ebay refunded the buyer but let me keep my money, every single time. So as long as you can prove that there is nothing wrong with the item, just reply to the case with your proof. You can ask the buyer to provide pictures of the damage if they claim any. Otherwise, just tell them that you are sorry that they do not like the product but it does have a 30-day money back guarantee and they can return it at their own cost for a full refund (minus any original postage, if your item is free postage then tough luck you have to pay for the original postage).

Whatever you do, do not accept the defective case return without talking to ebay first. I had never accepted any of mine and just gone all the way to escalation (by the buyers).

And put the buyer on your block list. You don't want him to buy again.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Quick follow-up:

It's well worth having this particular help page (Home > Help > Buying > Resolving Issues > Return an item for a refund) to hand when you speak to the eBay rep. Politely quote this, and point out that this is what has happened in this case.

Misuse of returns or eBay Money Back Guarantee

eBay Money Back Guarantee is designed to protect both buyers and sellers. If we decide that a member is misusing returns on eBay, or eBay Money Back Guarantee, they may be subject to a range of actions, including limits on buying and selling privileges and account suspension. Examples of misuse include:

• Selecting an inaccurate reason for returns
  • Disregarding item conditions required for returns
  • Requesting an excessive number of returns.

(The first point is the relevant one in this instance. The buyer has actually misused the MBG.)

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply