Buyer paid but has not picked up item

sarmal77
Community Member
I would like some advice.
I had a listing end on 7 January for pick up only. My rules stated contact is to occur within 2 days, and pick up is to occur within 7 days of auction finishing.
I sent invoice after auction ended and sent message requesting they contact regarding day and time to pick up.
Didn't hear back so on day 3 I sent message advising if i didn't hear by midday the following day, i would presume she didnt want it and relist. Within a short time, I received notification that she paid me via paypal and i finally got a message saying they would be here on Sunday evening (13th).
Sunday came and went and they didn't show and I didn't hear back.
I messaged on Monday and finally heard back later asking me to call to organise a pick up time. I have called repeatedly over the last few days, left voice messages and ebay messages. I still have not heard back.
I understand if they had not paid, I can mark them as unpaid and relist, but as they have paid, I am really unsure what I should do.
I have made multiple attempts to contact, with no success and I just want the item picked up. But as I have their money, what action should I take?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Phorum, I am not sure which bank you personally bank with but my experience of a bank chargeback is not at all what you describe. Yes the initial "launching" of the chargeback is a telephone call. Then they send you out a 5 page document, which you have to fill out with heaps of questions, and then have it certified at the police station or whatever. Then you post it off. Then they give the other side a month or so to respond. Then they make a decision. If you are going to go to all of that trouble for $30 well you're pretty darn hard up that's all I can say. And it doesn't (with my bank) cost anything if you lose.

If you ring the bank and say "I have this transaction on my credit card which I didn't make", then they look back at the charges and ring you back and tell you what it was (for example my husband did this when he used my credit card at a restaurant instead of his own, and I disputed it, not knowing it was him, lol. When they rang me back and gave me his signature I realised what had happened and that cost me $5 for the investigation) But paypal is a third-party to this transaction so this scenario would not apply.

I don't know anyone who would do a chargeback for a pick up item for $30. All the seller would have to do to satisfy the bank is to send them a copy of the listing with the *pick up only* highlighted.

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

I don't think any assumptions should be made. I live in NSW & have driven to Melbourne twice to collect a lot of things to renovate my house, it's 9-10 hr drive, but worth it.. I also go to Sydney regularly to get things, it's 4 hrs... In regards to the price of petrol, depends on the car, I get 1250 km out of a tank in my Diesel Citroen...

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

Lol ABR i have only ever done one bank chargeback and that was in the UK and not ebay related, I certainly didn't have to go through all that, I just received one page the next day which I had to sign and send back, a week later the funds were returned to may card.

I do know a couple of the regular posters here in Aus who have done a couple of chargebacks and didn't have to go through all you describe either.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

As the buyer has not abided by your terms of sale that are included  in your listing that pick up was to occur within 7 days of auction finishing based on experience IMO the requirement to hold these goods is highly unlikely to be an avenue for a small claim in the future if payment is refunded.

I would refund their paypal payment asap and send a message via ebay that as item has not been collected within 7 days of auction as outlined in your listing, that you are seeking a cancellation of the sale. Open a request to cancel the transaction via the dispute resolution console.  This option provides them a further 7 days to show up and pay (again).

If you do not hear anything from them and they do not respond to your cancellation request, exactly to the minute 7 dates later the mutual cancellation closes in your favour and your ebay final value fees are refunded and you can relist.

If they decline the cancellation without making suitable arrangements, ring ebay and advise them of situation and that whilst the buyer has refused the cancellation, they have not met the terms of sale regarding pickup and you are seeking for ebay to cancel the transaction. 

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

I dont know how much you sell OP, or whether ebay is going to become or is a serious income source for you.

But i would probably go down a different road.

Unless the item is huge and bulky, taking up space, or you just seriously need to get rid of it urgently. I would possibly hang onto it for a little while, the buyer has already paid.

And as others have mentioned there are a lot of other possibilities like the bush fires, the 7 hour drive, the cost of petrol etc etc.

If you can hang onto it for a little longer without it causing you any drama, i would consider sending them an email. But give them a list of options they can choose from, not demands that they have to meet.

For example, offer to hang onto it a little longer if that will help them out and ask how long before they think they will be able to collect.

Tell them that you know it is a long drive to pick up something and ask if they would like you to get a quote to have the item shipped as it might be quicker and cheaper than driving and the cost of petrol. 

Ask them if they would like to mutually cancel the transaction and get a refund.

I always find it is much easier dealing with someone with a problem, if you have already come up with solutions to the problem for them and offer them a choice and not give them demands.

Who knows, if you are a full time seller, you may find yourself a very appreciative return customer. ( if you are lucky )

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

I understand if they had not paid, I can mark them as unpaid and relist, .

Actually, NO you cannot just mark it as not paid and re-list.  You would have to open NPB case, wait for 4 days, close it and only then you can re-list.

But as they paid, I cannot see the drama; I have looked and as all other items have now FB left, it is the kids table, still flat in its box, so not at all that difficult to store. 

You have your money, so why stress?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

boomct
Community Member

[

You have your money, so why stress?

OP doesn't seem to be unduly stressed about it, but it is annoying.  If s buyer does specify pick up within 7 days it is for a good reason, and if the buyer isn't respectful of that by communicating or negotiating a time after that (and the OP sounds reasonable enough to be accommodating) the seller has every right to be a little irked.    Paypal payment in this case tends to indicate a message that the item should be held until buyer is good and ready to pick it up, for an unspecified period.  

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

anstau0
Community Member
Unit has been picked it buy customer
Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

anstau0
Community Member

Message 29 of 37