Buyer purchased and received item then claims chargeback reversal

Am experiencing a ridiculous buyer who purchased and received the item and then claim chargeback reversal over the basis of unauthorized payment! I have every single proof possible from shipment to tracking item being sent safely to her and just awaiting PayPal's investigation. Anyone having experience such a customer before? Can't believe there are such dishonest buyers lurking in eBay!
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you have all the right documentation as it sounds, you should qualify for seller protection, which means that even if the buyer does get a refund for the payment, you'll keep the funds. 

While fraudulent chargebacks can and do happen, the thing to remember is that it's not whether the buyer purchased and received an item that's under dispute, but whether they were authorised to use the credit card to pay for it - which means that even if the eBay / PayPal name and address match, they may have used someone else's credit card without their permission, which is in itself dishonest, but the cardholder who initiates the chargeback may not be. 

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

If the chargeback is for unauthorised use you should contact the buyer and tell them that if Paypal return the funds then they must return the item to you in the same condition it was sent in or make payment some other way or they will be reported to the police for obtaining goods unlawfully.

If it is because the item is not as described then proof of delivery is meaningless and the buyer should have to return the item in order to get a refund regardeless of if it is a Paypal claim or a bank chargeback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Great point. So just out of curiosity, the credit card company should be looking at the person/ criminal who received the item and the address where item was shipped to catch the culprit. Thanks for letting me know about the seller protection bit, as this is the first time I came across this issue with a buyer. For once I am actually glad that I used eBay click and send to post items lol.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Chargeback was for unauthorized used but I should be qualified for seller protection with all the proof I have. The credit card company should really look closely at the address item was posted to because when I send out the item I actually double checked on whitepages and the address has the exact same surname with buyer. Unless you are telling me daughter took mum's credit card and mum now claims for unauthorized use....hahahahaha
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for all the help guys. Just waiting for review by Paypal. I understand that this can happen in many ways but I do hope whoever is in the wrong - person who stole the credit card or person who just claims unauthorized payment to try and get out of paying will have their karma!
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Unless you are telling me daughter took mum's credit card and mum now claims for unauthorized use....hahahahaha

That could very well be the case but as long as you used a qualifying delivery method, that is red satchel or regular parcel with signature required, click & send or registered large letter and the tracking shows as delivered then you are covered by seller protection and if Paypal find against you then you should get straight on the phone to them.

If you only had the limited tracking provided by parcels without signature on delivery then if it shows as delivered to the nearest delivery centre you are in a different position unless you have a PO receipt which shows the postcode and that is the same as the delivery centre's.

The claim and dispute are between you and Paypal, it is not up to the card provider to investigate, Paypal can but will not if you do not have proof of delivery to the actual  address. As an investigation costs money they usually just pay the buyer back and either take the money from the seller if there is iinsuffiient proof of delivery or they cover the refund if there is and the bank will not back down.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Once you provide paypal with proof of post, you still may need to get on the phone and get them to unfreeze the funds, whilst they fight it out with the banks.

I have found that in these situations paypal may hold funds for unacceptable periods of time if you don't contact them to confirm the proof of post is satisfactory for seller protection and that you would like your funds back, thanks very much !!

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice. Will give them a ring tomorrow. Pity ebay doesn't let me leave a negative buyer feedback on her account. At least I can warn other sellers.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@nicolegallery wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Will give them a ring tomorrow. Pity ebay doesn't let me leave a negative buyer feedback on her account. At least I can warn other sellers.

You couldn't warn me. I sell at BIN and don't look at feedback anyway.

Another possible scenario is the buyer maxed out their card. That can result in an unauthorised use chargeback, I believe.

I would go with pj's suggestion - hit them up for the $$. The proof of postage/seller protection route still lets them get the item and the money. Even if it isn't yours, it still impacts on seller Paypal fees in the long run.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply