Buyer's child bid on item....

Hello all,

I have a situation where the buyer's child bid on an item and won the auction.The buyer has messaged that " you can raise a resolution if you wish as I do not wish for my daughter to have this "item" - pretty or not. I hope that we can resolve this like two adults and avoid any resolution action however I am prepared to stand my ground on this. " after I sent the invoice.

What are my options? On one hand, I sympathize with the buyer's situation where the child inappropriately bidded.On the other hand, I am irked by the fact that there is an irresponsible ebayer who has let the child access the ebay account and has made no apology for it.

I am also a newcomer to ebay and hence feedback would be important to me.Is this buyer able to leave negative feedback is things do not progress their way?What are my rights?

Thank you

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

There are two things as a seller you will hear over and over again.

The first is "my child (particularly high rate of over-intelligent 2 year olds out there at the moment) bid on the item".

The second occurs only after strikes are issued for non-payment "was in hospital, pls remove strike".

And I suspect they'll be around as long as ebay exists.

It is very frustrating, and at times you will think "they should pay, out of principle", but the bottom line is that the buyer holds the cards. Are you prepared to risk having your feedback and DSRs trashed if they do pay for the item?

At least this buyer got back to you, which is better than the ones that you never hear from again. In these situations I usually mutter under my breathe, then send them an email quoting ebay policy, along with a "but this one time I'm prepared to cancel", and then cancel the transaction.

It's less of a headache in the long run.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I can not see anything that you have sold recently that would appeal to a child so suspect that this is a simple change of mind.

It is very poor form on the part of the buyer...if a child had really won the auction, at the very least you would expect the mother to be apologetic, not aggressive as she is.

In order to protect your own feedback I suggest just offering a Mutual Cancellation....that buyer certainly sounds like she would not hesitate to trash your feeback and DSRs.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

This happened to me last night my 7year old did some best offers, now he has never done it before and has been looking on eBay for years. Now this is my fault because I didn't explain the best offer to him and the other day he had found a couple things he liked and had asked me and I put in best offers, he asked me what that was and I seyeing if I could get a better price. I didn't explain to him that if they accept it's an automatic purchase.

I would just cancel, it's not worth the heart ache. I am going to purchase the things my son won, he will just have themfron his birthday or under the tree for Christmas, but I know my boy will never do that again. 

Just remember if my kids didn't look on eBay I wouldn't buy half the stuff that I do. Because I wouldn't even look, but they always ask and in m case this is a one off he won't do it again. Give her the benefit of doubt the last thing you need is adisgruntled customer. And you will can do a mutual cancellation and move on.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

I wonder if the incidences of children buying things would be reduced if more people opened disputes?

Regardless if the child bought it or not, the mother should be held responsible for anything their child buys.. It's their own fault for leaving their eBay logged in or letting their child use eBay when the mother obviously isn't paying attention

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Well I am going to go against the grain and suggest opening a dispute.

If they had apologised and been nice about the whole thing then I would happily cancel for them, but if they want to get all cranky for something that is their responisibility then I would follow the ebay proceedure and nothing else.

If they don't pay then they can't leave feedback.

If they do pay and leave a neg, then I would simply start a new ID (that is one of the advantages of starting out, you don't have a lot to lose :))

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

calsof
Community Member

I'm sure there are real cases of genius 5-year-olds who make successful bids on eBay... but there are also dogs who eat homework, aren't there? 

Sorry,back on topic-I have no comment
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

I'm with thekazbar on this one, I'd open an unpaid item dispute. This mother was aggressive from the start, she is responsible for her child's behaviour and hence her own behaviour.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I'm with thekazbar on this one, I'd open an unpaid item dispute.

Me too.  If people are apologetic, then I would be nice, but when they are aggressive and in a way threatening; no way.  🙂

But the very first thing; put her on your BBL.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

I don't like the comment about she is going to stand her ground on this one so I would go the path of the dispute.

I think the email shows a dreadful attitude towards the OP and it would appear the problem was not created by the OP.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply