Buyer wanting to return an item before even receiving it...best way to handle?

Hi there,

I'm a casual seller, and a few days ago sold a brand name SD card to an interstate buyer.  It's a brand new item, still sealed in the manufacturers packaging, and I posted it via registered mail on Tuesday.

On Wednesday afternoon (yesterday), the seller messaged me saying, "If this card doesn't fit a GoPro, don't bother sending it - I'll be returning it".  They've obviously realised they've ordered the wrong item (they need a microSD card, not an SD card) so want to back out of the purchase.

I replied that it had already been posted so was too late for me to "not send".  Didn't say anything else as I wanted to check out my options.

Now, I don't have a returns policy in the listing other than "No reutrns accepted", and haven't had to process a return before, so just wanted to know the best way to handle this?

Obvsiouly I want the item back, unopened and in new condition still.  The selling price included free shipping, but as the buyer is simply changing their mind on the sale, is it resonable to request that I refund them the sale amount less the cost of shipping it to them to begin with (~$5)?  And if so, how do this properly through the eBay refund process?

Looking through the buyer's eBay history, they seem to regularly leave petty feedback comments, and I'd like to avoid having my feedback history marred by an seemingly unreasonable buyer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyer wanting to return an item before even receiving it...best way to handle?

Thanks, digital*ghost, very helpful to know.

I actually ended up just following through with the return/refund request as is - my buyer cliams to only have access to eBay via the mobile app so everything is all too hard for them (apparently they had to call eBay CS on the phone get a return request initiated and that took 30 minues).  They've now complained that the return process in taking too long, despite they fact that each step of the way my prompt message replies or actions don't receive a reply from the buyer for a good 24 to 36 hours - kinda hard for me to speed things up when the buyer is dragging their feet.

I've written off the buyer as an idiot and added them to my blocked list, and just have my fingers crossed they avoid being a complete **bleep**hole by leaving negative feedback for their change-of-mind when I would have been within my rights to refuse the return.

Also, it turns out I have a defect notice already recorded on my account I didn't know about.  It was from listing a few months ago when an overseas buyer with a new account and 0 feedback score tried to purchase an item from me, even though I'm set up to only sell within Australia.  Somehow in getting that cancelled I've picked up an "item out of stock" defect!

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Buyer wanting to return an item before even receiving it...best way to handle?

Just a follow up...all resolved happily in the the end, and the buyer even left positive feedback for me, acknowledging their mistake in the comment.

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply