Buyer wants a refund on graphics card, disassembled item

I sold a graphics card and now the buyer wants a refund as he notice an liquid substance on the card. However, i cannot know if it is the same card i had sold him as he disassembled the fans and backplate from the graphics cards board. Is he still entitled to a refund?
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If they have disassembled the item, it might mean they have voided their protection as items have to be returned unmodified in any way at all. Is there a message via eBay confiming they've done this? As that should help you in an eBay case.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

This kinda thing is an old rort with this kind of item.
He likely has an old card that he has tried unsuccessfully to repair and wants to return it to get a refund.
Hopefully, you have kept a record of the serial number you sent out so it's easy to tell. I'd even have a pic of the serial number plate as a part of the listing.
You are in a precarious position as eBay tend to side with the buyer.
As DG has said it's supposed to be returned in the same condition as you sent it out. So if this buyer has admitted in messages that he has pulled it apart then these admissions are your best bet at getting it resolved in your favour.
Good luck with it.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@a.onemelc_4

@a.onemelc_4 wrote:
I sold a graphics card and now the buyer wants a refund as he notice an liquid substance on the card. However, i cannot know if it is the same card i had sold him as he disassembled the fans and backplate from the graphics cards board. Is he still entitled to a refund?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763#...

As he's taken it apart he's altered the condition and shouldn't be entitled to any refund.

Did he state why he took it apart?

There is no way that a liquid would stay on a card when sent via the post.

By taking it apart he could've damamaged it or changed it,(common tactic used to try and get free stuff).

If for any reason he does send it back make certain you tell them that it will be tested by an independent

computer store and if found to be a faulty/different card action will be taken.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

He sent a video, it shows the card with no fan cover nor the backplate on it.

Sadly i didnt get a photo of the serial number, However, the ad has a photo of the card but it looks like the serial number is too small to see.

Disassembled card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTu_GV-LRBE&feature=youtu.be

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

He sent a video, it shows the card with no fan cover nor the backplate on it.

Sadly i didnt get a photo of the serial number, However, the ad has a photo of the card but it looks like the serial number is too small to see.

Disassembled card:

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

He sent a video, it shows the card with no fan cover nor the backplate on it.

Disassembled card:

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Ring eBay and explain what the buyer has done as a heads up in case he opens a dispute. Ask eBay to confirm that if the item has been tampered with the buyer is not entitled to a refund.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

You only need to post once as everyone can see each post,(no need to reply to each poster).

If he starts a dispute show eBay what you sold him and the video and let them know that he had no reason to

take it apart,(it was working and complete when you sent it to him and whatever he's showing you is most likely

not liquid but possibly a glue or something similar that's used when setting up the card or even smudges).

You can not get back what you sold him as he tampered with it,(so there is no reason to refund).

This is what he's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89KB3UQlbQ

The other option may be that he's tried to liquid cool his previous card and it may have leaked.

He could then take yours apart and only show his old card as having liquid on it,(which could then be anti freeze

that's dried up which is what is used for liquid cooling).

Most of what he's showing you could be achieved by using a brush and wiping up a bit of dust and then putting

it on the card.

In my opinion he thinks you are a newbie who doesn't know much and that you will just refund him,(he's just trying

to get a free item by attemped to pass of his old card as yours,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

He did mention that he was planning on liquid cooling the card but is concerned about the "liquid" on the card so he wants a refund now Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply