Buyer wants refund

I recently sold a few items to be picked up.  Buyer told me they paid through ebay and I told them to cancel the payment and pay with cash when they pick the items up.  All went smoothly until they are now claiming I have their electronic payment plus their cash payment.  They say they didn't pay using paypal but they would 've had to as I didn't give them my banking details.  I have no record of their payment in my paypal or my bank account.  How can I prove I am not double dipping?  BTW this is all over $5.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer wants refund

Many years ago I sold an item for $40 and the buyer paid using paypal.  They picked the item up and left and promptly cancelled their payment.  Hey presto they got the item for free as when I asked ebay to help with the situation the buyer claimed he paid cash.  And that was that!  I guess things have changed since then.  I didn't sign up to be verified for Managed Payments, I've never heard of that.  If somehow I have their payment I wish I knew where it was so I can give it back to them.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyer wants refund

It would'nt be in your PayPal since Paypal has'nt been a thing for sellers in almost four years

Did you sign up for and be verified for Managed Payments before you sold?

Even if you did, there would be a 30 day hold on funds since you have not sold in so long 

Why did you tell the buyer to cancel after they had already paid ? (which buyers can't cancel in any case) ?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

Many years ago I sold an item for $40 and the buyer paid using paypal.  They picked the item up and left and promptly cancelled their payment.  Hey presto they got the item for free as when I asked ebay to help with the situation the buyer claimed he paid cash.  And that was that!  I guess things have changed since then.  I didn't sign up to be verified for Managed Payments, I've never heard of that.  If somehow I have their payment I wish I knew where it was so I can give it back to them.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

eBay has been informing every member (buyer and/or seller) about Managed Payments for years – well before it was implemented. As a buyer only, I was informed. I still have the emails.

You cannot possibly claim that you have never heard of Managed Payments unless you ignore all communication from eBay and haven’t ever checked the Seller Hub. That would mean you have a laissez-faire approach and don’t keep yourself informed of the necessary changes to T&Cs. Everything has changed … I strongly suggest you read the eBay Help pages on selling (esp the one titled “Registering as a seller”) as a matter of urgency. Under MP (and as a result of the current anti-money-laundering laws affecting fee disbursement in Australia), you are now regarded as a new seller and you MUST be registered for MP and verified with both your ID and your bank account.

Refunding

Here's how to issue a refund:

1. Locate the order in Seller Hub or My eBay Sold.
  2. From the drop-down menu, select Send refund.
  3. Choose a reason for the refund.
  4. Specify a refund amount for the item or for the order.
  5. Enter the desired refund amount, and select Send refund.

You'll get an email confirming that the refund has been initiated, and another email once the refund is complete. The refunded amount will appear in your order details. You can refund up to 100% of the transaction.

If you're issuing a partial refund for an order, the amount will be split proportionally across each item in the order.

— https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/refunding-buyers?id=5182

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

There is no use marking your own reply as the solution

If you want to sell on ebay, you have to be signed up for Managed Payments and be verified before you list anything

You don't have their payment because you failed to meet your obligations as a seller

Managed Payments has been in place for almost two years, and was announced/being phased in two years prior to that

As in the box you ticked you had 'read and understood' when you listed

How to you plan to pay the eBay fees you owe for this sale?

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

The OP will have a few problems.

Firstly they according to the OP he/she has been paid in cash - on pick up.

Secondly the buyer is saying they also paid through PP - but also paid cash on pick up.

eBay will want their fees. ??

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

If you're issuing a partial refund for an order, the amount will be split proportionally across each item in the order.

The seller has the option of making it item specific. I do it often when buyers don't bother to contact me prior to purchase and pay too much postage.

Other than that, spot on. Just another example of eBay not knowing what eBay does.

It doesn't arrogate the seller's responsibility to actually know the rules of the site nor how to manage issues. Seems the OP fails on many fronts.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

Why mark your own reply as the solution, especially given that it has absolutely no relevance to the current ebay payment system.

Never heard of managed payments, you should not be selling.

Does your ebay page have a payments tab, that is a good place to look, and if so then you have signed up to managed payments.

Just to add, if the buyer has opened an official case, you have 72hrs to resolve the matter, or ebay will automatically refund the buyer.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

The buyer isn't necessarily lying to you when they say they didn't use PP.

These days, buyers are offered a few different ways to pay and as far as I know, the seller has not a clue how they paid as that information isn't shown to them. 

The payment goes straight to ebay, not straight to the seller.

That's what managed payment is all about.

Then, if you as seller want your money, you have to arrange it so ebay transfers the money across.

As a new seller, there would be a 30 hold on funds.

Why on earth you had a buyer who paid cash after already paying, I do not know. They should have checked beforehand that the money had been refunded. But it is what it is. It might only be $5 but for the buyer, it may the principle of the thing.

Even when a person is picking up an item, you are not safe to just take the money. These days, ebay has a special pick up scan that should be done. It proves that the person has in fact taken the item. That way, you shouldn't end up with a dishonest buyer claiming they never got it.

You say you've sold a few items, presumably mostly for cash.

You'll need to get into the help pages & get yourself properly verified for managed payments. ASAP.

That way you will eventually have access to the money. Plus ebay can get its fees.

Try to refund through ebay  (following countess's guide) and see how you go. That needs to be done immediately.

And don't list anything else on ebay till you sort yourself out.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer wants refund

mtgrwr
Community Member

I am requesting a refund on a part that has not arrived

item number 185707781976

Order  11-11121-65332

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply