Buyer wants to cancel only 1 of 2 combined invoice items

I had a buyer early this afternoon message me and ask me to cancel one of two DVDs that he purchased from me because he already bought it somewhere else (he had not yet paid for either item). I told him that I would see what I could do.

The big difficulty is that I had already sent him a combined postage invoice.

How to fix this? I thought that I would just send him a separate invoice for the DVD that he wanted and then send through a cancellation for the one that he didn't want. All that seemed to go succesfully. The two items that were group together in my Sold list became ungrouped after I sent the separate invoice. Then I went to the 'Cancel' option and selected the "buyer doesn't want item" reason and it all seemed to go fine and dandy...

...until I received a 'success' message that my request to cancel BOTH items had gone through.

So, my question is, is it actually possible to partially cancel a transaction? Where should I go from here? I suggested to the buyer that perhaps he could just pay for the one DVD. I'm not sure what else to do. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer wants to cancel only 1 of 2 combined invoice items

@justajunk wrote:

So, my question is, is it actually possible to partially cancel a transaction? Where should I go from here? I suggested to the buyer that perhaps he could just pay for the one DVD. I'm not sure what else to do. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer when items haven't been paid for yet - I have been able to cancel an item after multiple purchases, but only because the buyer had paid for all the rest, so that might be the best way to handle it in the future. That is, ungroup the items, get the buyer to pay for the ones they want, then cancel any remaining items - when I did that recently, though, eBay seemed to think the buyer had paid for everything and they asked the buyer to confirm they'd received a refund (which they didn't - confirm that is, though I explained that eBay may ask this even though they never paid for it - so it took 10 days for it to close out).

Alternatively, it may work better if you re-invoice each item, then get the buyer to pay, then use the message system to send an official request for cancalleation on the item they don't want (it's just a normal message, but it goes on record with eBay). 

I have heard buyers can still pay for a cancelled item, but I can't guarantee it - I'd suggest they try to click the "pay now" button next to the item they want, if it's still there, to see if it works, and if not, you could generate an independent invoice through PayPal. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Just wanted to let you know that unless the buyer cancels both threw the resolution center you will get hit with a 1% mark against you so make sure you get them to request the cancel sale first just thought you needed to know this as they don't tell you.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Hi Digital Ghost. Thanks for the response. A few thoughts that spring to mind:

eBay seemed to think the buyer had paid for everything and they asked the buyer to confirm they'd received a refund (which they didn't - confirm that is, though I explained that eBay may ask this even though they never paid for it - so it took 10 days for it to close out)

Well, in my Sold list at the moment it now has the message: "eBay note: We're just waiting for the buyer to confirm they received a refund for this order" next to both items, which might well confuse my buyer since he hadn't paid for either. Not quite sure what to do about this. I mean, what happens if he tells them that he hasn't received a refund?

Alternatively, it may work better if you re-invoice each item, then get the buyer to use the message system to send an official request for cancalleation (it's just a normal message, but it goes on record with eBay). 

I was thinking of doing that... but can I actually send another invoice after I have already asked to cancel a transaction?!

I think in future, I'll just tell buyers to pay for what they want and forget about the rest. I can afford to wear 10% FVF on one or two items that go unsold because the buyer wants to cancel.

I'm also unsure what to do with Unpaid Item Assistant for this transaction, whether I should be turning it off for one or both items, or whether it is indeed possible to turn it off for only one of the items.

All very confusing. Seems I can't go through any sales period without a few hiccups like this...

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Are you sure, lovedvds? I selected the reason "buyer wants to cancel" as opposed to "out of stock". Surely that should prevent me from copping a defect from the transaction.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Yes it is possible. I did one the other day where the buyer purchased three items but only wanted two.

I did the same as you - sent an invoice for the items they wanted and a cancellation request for the item no longer required and it all seemed to go through fine.

The buyer had no trouble paying for the two items they wanted and ebay cancelled the third item as payment hadn't been received.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

Are you sure, lovedvds? I selected the reason "buyer wants to cancel" as opposed to "out of stock". Surely that should prevent me from copping a defect from the transaction.

If the buyer has messaged through the ebay system and requested you cancel one item you won't get a defect.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Although you can certainly send new invoices after uncombining the items there is nothing to provent the buyer uncombining themselves then paying for the item they want and requesting to cancel the other.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply