Buyer wants to return jacket after 6 weeks

jvdv
Community Member

Hi,

I sold a used Gore-tex rain jacket on 29 May. The the jacket was in good condition and generally clean apart from some minor marks from usage.

Today - after more than 6 weeks - I get a message  from the buyer wanting to return the jacket for a full refund. He claims after washing the jacket the seam sealing tape disintergrated. Says he didn't notify me earlier as he has been overseas.

So how long is it acceptable for buyers of used clothing to decide whether or not they can use and then return an item - and how are we to know that any damage wasn't caused by their carelessness?

Should I accept his claim and give him a full refund, offer him a partial refund or tell him he's too late?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

maybe they dont have computers overseas ,mmmmmmmmmm  i wonder how they checked there email 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

How did you advertise it? Did you offer returns at all?

In my view, 6 weeks later is too late to be making a claim on a used item.

If you offer returns in the ads, especially for used items, maybe it would be a good idea in future to put a time frame on it or attach some conditions.

Has the buyer already given positive feedback? If so, maybe that could go in your favour if they did try to make a claim.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I would be concerned the cleaning has not been done to the suggested label requirements.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@jvdv wrote:

Hi,

I sold a used Gore-tex rain jacket on 29 May. The the jacket was in good condition and generally clean apart from some minor marks from usage.

Today - after more than 6 weeks - I get a message  from the buyer wanting to return the jacket for a full refund. He claims after washing the jacket the seam sealing tape disintergrated. Says he didn't notify me earlier as he has been overseas.

So how long is it acceptable for buyers of used clothing to decide whether or not they can use and then return an item - and how are we to know that any damage wasn't caused by their carelessness?

Should I accept his claim and give him a full refund, offer him a partial refund or tell him he's too late?

Thanks

This is of particular interest to me because I sell new and used skiwear and with eBay's new "customer is always right" - type policies, have become concerned about the possibility of people buying used ski gear, going on their trip, then coming back, washing the garments and then claiming a refund for whatever. 

I know this doesn't help you now, but I have taken to tagging my used items with my own tags, so that a garment can be tried on but not worn, and I state that no returns will be given unless items are returned with my tags intact, and still attached. So far, so good.

Ebay, and Paypal seem to have different and quite long return limits (and a person can now claim through either or both apparantly!).

It might be worth PHONING (not email or live chat) eBay and asking their advice before you deal with the customer. As far as I understood, second hand items carry no warranty aside from them being "as described", but I might just be thinking like a seller.

Good luck,

Marina.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

and how are we to know that any damage wasn't caused by their carelessness?

How do you know it was properly cared for? 

Maybe the label said ' cold water- delicate'

and they've thrown it in 'hot water  - heavy duty'

And there it is.     They can't return it in the condition it was purchased.

No refund IMO

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

If you do have to refund I would be trying to do an update to your feedback left stating something like "buyer demanded refund after 6 weeks of receiving, claims faulty". So that if they try it on again with another seller, the seller will know they are playing games.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Does the 180 day new ebay rule apply to 2nd hand goods?

I think the Aussie Retail rules do not apply to purchased pre loved merchandise. But ebay rules are there own!

Firstly I would ask buyer to send photo of jacket. I would politely ask how was his holiday and where did he go.

I suspect your buyer bought the jacket for his holiday and no longer needs it.

I would decline the refund and fight the case should he decide to lodge an ebay claim.

Has he left feedback?? This could help with your case.

The jacket is second hand and if your description of jacket was correctly described, I feel you should have a good case.

How much was the jacket worth and cost to send?  Is it worth the angst?

I agree with Sass, definately leave follow up feedback to let other sellers know should this buyer be a regular FREEBIE ebay buyer.

Wishing you luck... let us know how you get on.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Ebay MGB is only 30 days. if it's 6 weeks later it should be past the time that a case can be opened.

If the buyer opens a not as described case with Paypal, then you can make a case that the buyer has damaged the item given the email exchange.  Paypal only provides coverage that the item is described at the point of delivery.  It's not a warranty service.

I agree re: feedback.  If the buyer leaves a neg then do a careful calm follow-up comment to say buyer didn't follow care instructions or something.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply