Buyers repeadetly not paying for offers

I've been selling some products to get rid of them, and I've had offers enabled to hopefully get quicker sales. But about 3 times I've received a reasonable offer and accepted it, but around 1-2 days later the buyer contacts me and says something like "I bought it by mistake" or "I didn't know I have to pay when I make an offer". Most of these accounts are old ones that have bought and sold with positive feedback. Is it possible they've been hacked? Next time I'm turning offers off, but is there anything I can do if anything like this happens again? I'll post some of my messages with these buyers. 

Many Thanks

jess9251_0-1708211852598.pngjess9251_1-1708211899654.png

jess9251_2-1708211916589.png 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Your mind works in a strange way

Not as strange as yours.

Where it seems that a buyer offer is an ambit offer, rather than a real one.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

So you think that offering a buyer less than they have already tendered is in any way a sound business policy?

Not sure how this is your take on what I wrote but my bad. I counter offers for the simple reason you have 3 to use and leaving any money on the table adds up over the year.

As an example last week item priced $110 buyer offers $80, quick google search shows on sale for $96 at another business. I counter with $90 item sells. I would have taken $80, I would have taken $50 as the item owed me next to nothing as I buy in bulk. Repco sells the item for $200. So buyer would have paid the $80 as they needed the part, I countered and got an extra $10. 

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

I am not the one saying buyers are not going to pay for the offers they make. In fact I rarely get an offer that is  not paid. I just counter as that is what I have learnt works for what I sell and maximises my sale price

Having done this for near 20 years I can say there is not much I have not tried. 

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

For me I find ebay the easiest way to make money for the least amount of effort. As you know this does not happen overnight and without many mistakes. But I see every sale as a potential to use that money to reinvest and make more but then I will admit I don't have any cash reserves handy or other liquid income streams to fall back on.

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

I think counter offers from the seller work if the buyer is fully engaged and wanting the item. I've bought from a counter offer before.

In the example you gave, the buyer would still be getting it at $20 under the original advertised price so he'd feel okay about the deal.

A person who made an offer but had changed their mind in the meantime would probably ignore your counter offer so it may weed out some problem buyers.

Mind you, the offers I prefer are still the ones where I get an instant reply or extremely quick reply. I can remember (years ago) feeling quite frustrated with a seller who didn't get back to me for about 2 days.  That was in the time when I think offers lasted about 3 days. I made an offer recently and noticed it was for only 24 hours.

As a buyer, I love ads that have the option to 'make an offer' but have no idea if it attracts more tyre kickers than a straight BIN ad. From what I have heard on the boards though, you do get some non payers in both categories & your best bet is to just let the 4 days time out and put in your non payment claim.

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

I am a buyer as well and expect a quick reply on an offer, plus I always expect a counter so allow for this in my first offer. If a seller does not counter I just move on to the next seller.

So as a seller I always have my phone handy so can reply within minutes hopefully keeping the buyer engaged to get a sale. This is why I do come across the odd one where I will counter and never hear back, My thought is like mentioned by others a buyer sends out multiple offers and just pays the lowest. This would be 25% of offers where I never get a counter and in the past had I accepted the first offer the buyer sometimes did not pay. The item is no longer for sale until I cancel 4 days later. 

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

I am a buyer as well and expect a quick reply on an offer, plus I always expect a counter so allow for this in my first offer. If a seller does not counter I just move on to the next seller.

See and I rarely would send a counter offer,  and would consider yours as a low ball offer.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

So as a seller I always have my phone handy so can reply within minutes hopefully keeping the buyer engaged to get a sale. 

Hopefully you are not in current employment. 

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Not with a lung function capacity of 44%. Funny thing is I am the happiest I've ever been. Although that could be attributed to one of the many listed side effects of the medication.๐Ÿ˜

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Depending on what you sell if you know buyers are coming in slightly lower then you can counter with good results. It won't work for all items but I try everything give it 6 months and adjust to see if you get better results.

Plus you have 3 offers may as well use them if needed.

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply