COD - Cash on Delivery

Please - don't yell at me..I know how we all feel about polls, but I just had to try one to say I have done it once.

COD - cash on delivery - just mosey thru ebay sellers and see how many are listing that as a form of delivery, especially newbies. Now we all know it is an AP service, an expensive one, and not one that I would use given all the problems that could arrise. I imagine (only my opinion) a good 95% of all listings offering COD are meant to be offering Cash on Pick Up.

To save confusion, should it be removed as a choice of delivery?

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

COD - Cash on Delivery

Its only made confusing when people on the boards point out that its an AP service and the sky will fall in if you use it on your listing. Considering its mostly on pick up items, you'd have to be a bit of an idiot to think they meant anything other than cash on pick up.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

go-tazz
Community Member

IMO they only need to make a little change to stop any angst.

It should just read: COD,(cash on delivery).

That should make it clear as to what sort of service it is,:-D

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Cash on Delivery means the seller is going to deliver it to the buyer, by whatever means. It may be by Australia Post, taxi, courier or shank's pony but the buyer just waits for the item to arrive and then pays for it.

Cash on PickUp means the seller just sits and waits for the buyer to rock up with the cash in exchange for the item.

Definitely not the same thing!!!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

I think the most confusing thing for people going through the Sell Your Item form is that Cash On Delivery is a default option under the postage/payments tab, but Cash on Pick-up often only appears if you click to show more options (a small link many miss), therefore for most, by simple logical deduction, COD sounds like the one and only option applicable for what is actually COPU...if that makes sense.

To solve this, Cash On Pick Up should be displayed as an option by default, right next to COD, with defining terms so that there is no risk of confusion for buyers/sellers alike.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

I agree, because just think - Scenario: a new seller - lists COD, buyer lives in NSW seller lives in SA - as soon as the seller realises the error they have made, they approach buyer to explain. Buyer not happy and can legally request offer of COD as advertised, seller has to cancel sale, buyer can neg seller for 'not honoring transaction' - new seller ends up with red dot before they have really started. I don't think the seller would have any recourse via ebay in this, as I think by the terms of ebays rules, the seller has indeed renegued on the stated deal. All I am saying is, I truly believe it is a service that would be so seldom used on here, it would not be missed, removal of option - removal of confusion. ?:|

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

It has always amazed me that anyone could confuse COD and pay on pick up.

There isn't a D anywhere in pay/cash on pick up never mind as an initial letter.

I was well aware of what COD meant long before ebay was invented!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

I think it should be removed, not because it is confusing, but because it is not a service that people should be using.  It is expensive (normal postage + $9 for the service) , and can be very expensive for the seller if the buyer fails to pick it up and it is sent back, then the seller is  liable for double the postage plus $18.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

You are right, most mean cash on pick up. But don't forget that COD can also mean that I am selling the item and offer delivery, picking up cash on delivery.

image host
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

COD - Cash on Delivery

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are right, most mean cash on pick up. But don't forget that COD can also mean that I am selling the item and offer delivery, picking up cash on delivery.

Which is exactly what I said in post # 3.

The seller is delivering the item and picking up cash..which means that the seller is doing the delivering by whatever method.

Cash on PickUp means that the buyer is doing the picking up and will hand over the cash.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply