Can I list Digital Items On eBay, Mainly Workshop Manuals

Hi was wondering if I am allowed to list Digital Download Items on eBay? Australia, UK or Usa. I have seen them but not sure which site they were listed in. I remember a few years ago eBay AU change some policies about listing Digital Items. Can anyone enlighting me Please.

Thank You

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Can I list Digital Items On eBay, Mainly Workshop Manuals

I'm totally confused by Ebay Australia's policy.

1) Ebay.com.au has the section "Information Downloads" where sellers have advertised their ebooks and other digital material.

2) Digital downloads are available through other sites such as Ebay.com and Ebay.co.uk.

3) However, under the Ebay.com.au policies it says:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/downloadable.html

So which one is it? The sites are completely inconsistent.

Maybe one way to get around it is to just list your pdf/ebook or whatever on Ebay.com or Ebay.co.uk in the "Information Download/Product" category.

Here are 89 PDF listings from Ebay.com:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Information-Products-/47103/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pdf

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Looks like the seller reads the boards or somebody has contacted them as they have ended the listing.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

I've clarified this with eBay Customer Service.

Items like 151924317346 are permitted and allowed to be sold on eBay Australia.  Specifically, the creation of a personalised image file and it being emailed to the buyer after payment as the delivery method - this is PERMITTED.

However, digital books and manuals, even if they are original works by the seller, sold and emailed to a buyer are NOT PERMITTED.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Pj, unfortunately I think someone reported this listing even though that one is allowed as clarified by transport.

That is why I pointed out the reasons (shown in eBays rules) for certain digital items to be not permitted and the rule not being B&W as some members appear to think.

image host
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Digital goods - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/downloadable.html

However as stated in why eBay has this policy, it may get over looked by eBay as it doesn't breach the reasons for this policy.

Afterall, rules are not set in stone and should be on a case by case approach.

eBay does not allow the sale of digital goods on its website

This is the first thing you read when you visit this link. A Digital Download is what it is, you pay and you receive a link via email or an instant download. Personlised or not it is still a Digital Download. If I was to list a Manual and the buyer asked for it to have his Name On the Front Cover, you are saying it is allowed???

Transport-Posters

I've clarified this with eBay Customer Service.

Items like 151924317346 are permitted and allowed to be sold on eBay Australia.  Specifically, the creation of a personalised image file and it being emailed to the buyer after payment as the delivery method - this is PERMITTED.

However, digital books and manuals, even if they are original works by the seller, sold and emailed to a buyer are NOT PERMITTED.

What is the difference if the item has the personalise image or not it is still a digital download.

Paddy

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Perhaps look at Ebay.com. and Ebay.co.uk - I think their requirements may be different.

If so, maybe just list on one of those sites.

From Ebay.com:

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr

Certainly seems to be possible there.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@moonandstarsshop wrote:

Perhaps look at Ebay.com. and Ebay.co.uk - I think their requirements may be different.

If so, maybe just list on one of those sites.

From Ebay.com:

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr

Certainly seems to be possible there.

I honestly do not wish to list on the above sites but your reply does not answer or solve the problem. eBay Australia state you are not allowed digital downloads See Above and read the link. If I list a Workshop Manual and insert an image at the buyers request and offer a link so the buyer has no postage to pay it is the same as item 151924317346 that was listed before I reported it so where do eBay policies stand. Either you can list or you cannot. In all honestly I do not think anyone here or Ebay can give a simple answer.

Thank You

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Hi buddy, re: eBay's weird policy concerning personalised image vs. digital book, it's best you have a live chat with eBay Customer Support to get to the bottom of it.  You can start the live chat from here:

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1705&levelHierarchy=2a3a1

Please share with us what you find out, as I'd be interested to know why this difference exists.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

This is from eBay's rules - 

eBay does not allow the sale of digital goods on its website.

This policy helps protect buyers from purchasing unauthorised or counterfeit merchandise, and helps intellectual property rights owners protect their rights.

So something that is not possible within the above, is permissible.

(Also keep in mind many of these rules were written in the earlier days of eBay , hence the simplification and slant towards the safe side to protect the site and it's members).

image host
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

A large number of PDF style workshop manuals are illegally scanned from original factory or after market manuals in breach of copyright rules. This is basically theft from the companies that originally produced the works.

The ironic thing is that other counterfieters are purchasing and then reproducing the already stolen scans. Reading some of the listings, the original thieves get very upset when thier stolen works are reproduced and onsold by other scammers    Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply