Can anyone predict the outcome of this scenario

1150b
Community Member

I sold a pair of speakers here on ebay to be freighted from Canberra to Perth. After I posted them and before the buyer received them he tried to cancel the transaction through ebay. I explained to him that they are not retrievable as they are on a truck to you. The listing stated no returns. Around a week later he contacted me to say he had a "sorry we missed you" card in the mail box and rattled off many excuses why he cant organise a redelivery. Even though I sent the tracking numbers and phone number of the courier he has not contacted them and properly never will . The couriers hold items for a few days then send them back to the sender. I'm just waiting for the "items not received" email  in the days to come. Will I be expected to refund? Postage was $140.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

From eBay's info page about the Money Back Guarantee (applicable if the buyer opens an INR request): "Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee."

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

A delivery attempt is (by and large) akin to 'delivered' by eBay, and not accepting the delivery or refusing to arrange collection or re-delivery should disqualify the buyer from being able to make a successful claim - however, if they do open a request, do not allow it to be handled by the automated system, rather, use eBay's call me back function (through help & contact) and explain the situation in full, highlighting that point about the buyer being responsible for accepting delivery and not doing so (which I assume can be confirmed through ebay messages) means they are not eligible for an MBG claim.

Even though you state no returns, you will still need to determine how to handle the return, so at this point you may be able to resolve the situation before any requests are open by clarifying to the buyer that you don't actually accept returns but as a goodwill gesture you're willing to provide a refund of the item price once you receive it back (keep in mind if you have to contact ebay about this buyer, they will look at your message history, so I recommend being firm but fair, polite and professional, and approach it with the sense that you're helping the customer as much as possible, just without their change of mind costing you unrecoverable money). 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Keep all the messages, and if they open a case, upload them.

Theye should lose the case if they haven't made an effort to pick them up, or arranged another delivery.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@1150b wrote:

I sold a pair of speakers here on ebay to be freighted from Canberra to Perth. After I posted them and before the buyer received them he tried to cancel the transaction through ebay. I explained to him that they are not retrievable as they are on a truck to you. The listing stated no returns. Around a week later he contacted me to say he had a "sorry we missed you" card in the mail box and rattled off many excuses why he cant organise a redelivery. Even though I sent the tracking numbers and phone number of the courier he has not contacted them and properly never will . The couriers hold items for a few days then send them back to the sender. I'm just waiting for the "items not received" email  in the days to come. Will I be expected to refund? Postage was $140.

Postage was $140....is that right?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

A pair of, presumably decent, speakers to the other side of the country? Sounds right.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Good grief...maybe that's the problem??
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Could well be. Buyer remorse.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote: 

Buyer remorse.

The buyer will certainly be remorseful if they lose any case they may open, and lose any shipping cost - which could possibly be any return postage costs to the seller as well.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Request a โ€œcall backโ€ from eBay and just get a heads up. They can add notes so that if the buyer does open a dispute they have all the info.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Nice joke.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply