Cancel item vs Unpaid item

I know there is a few similar questions on this board, but coming from a different viewpoint.

I sold an item on eBay and have not received payment. I have sent an invoice, a follow up message, and an offer to cancel if they have changed their mind, but no response for over a week.

The winning bid was very low and I would rather keep the item than sell it.

What is the best way to cancel the sale without receiving bad feedback? I don't even care about paying sell fees, as they will be minimal.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

after 4 days from end of auction you can open an Unpaid Item Dispute. If the seller doesnt pay within 4 days (8 days total) you can close the case and get your FVF back, and the buyer gets an unpaid item strike

once you open the Dispute they cannot leave feedback

Go to your resolution centre and take it from there

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

NPB dispute. I am not cancelling for anyone anymore if I can help it, why should I cop a defect for being helpful.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

What I do if a buyer does not pay and does not make any contact with me to organise a longer time period to pay, is open an unpaid dispute.

I allow the required 4 days to pass, and close the dispute on the start of the 5th day, which is the point when I can have my final value fees for the sale returned by ebay.

I have opened and closed many, many unpaid disputes in my time on eBay and I have never received negative feedback for doing so. 

Some of my buyers have paid, a few have contacted me seeking extra time to pay, BUT most I have never heard from again and I added their IDs to my blocked buyers list.

If a buyer receives an unpaid strike for a transaction then any feedback they might leave can be removed by eBay, either automatically or by request.

If you send a cancellation and a buyer refuses it, you cannot then open an unpaid dispute.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

I don't mess around, I send an invoice with a polite but firm request for details of payment having been made on day 3 and open the dispute asap at the end of day 4. I would never offer a mutual cancellation unless it is because I have made an error in the listing and I would be expecting the buyer to refuse it but no harm in asking. If it is feedback you are worrying about (and that does not enter the equation as far as I am concerned) then remember after a mutual cancellation they can still leave you a neg, if an UID is closed and they get a strike then they cannot.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

PJ, can a buyer leave feedback whilst the UID is open?

I know that neither party can once it is closed and I know that a seller can still leave feedback whilst the UID is open (must be true, I read it here) so I always assumed that a buyer could also leave feedback whilst an UID was open, but I read on the boards today that once an UID is opened a buyer cannot leave feedback.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

A buyer can leave feedback up until the dispute is closed, and there are some instances of a buyer being able to leave FB after it's closed, but it still should be removable if it's a neg (not sure if it's a pos with low DSRs, one would hope so considering the seller defects thing).

If the seller is a Power seller, a buyer can't leave a neg or neut no matter what until after 7 days, so if the UPI process is followed at the minimum time-frame of 8 days, they buyer has around a 24 hour window to (temporarily) leave something other than pos.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

PJ, can a buyer leave feedback whilst the UID is open?

I know that neither party can once it is closed and I know that a seller can still leave feedback whilst the UID is open (must be true, I read it here) so I always assumed that a buyer could also leave feedback whilst an UID was open, but I read on the boards today that once an UID is opened a buyer cannot leave feedback.

No, they can't. As soon as it opens, the rights have gone until the buyer pays. I have 2 open at the moment, from a seller I regularly buy from, that has an automatic system in place to open after 5 days. I email him and let him know I'm still buying so he leaves them open until I pay......because he knows I always pay! As he's a US seller, I buy enough to fill a box. Even though he's a large scale seller, he will sometimes send me a message saying I have filled a box, so any more will go up to the next postage rate.

You can see by the photo that there is the little blue line across the feeback icon. You will also notice the 'leave feedback' link is gone.

unpaid.jpg

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@ilovemychooks wrote:

No, they can't. As soon as it opens, the rights have gone until the buyer pays. I have 2 open at the moment, from a seller I regularly buy from, that has an automatic system in place to open after 5 days. 

Just looked it up in the help pages - if a seller is using the Unpaid Item Assistant, feedback is blocked as soon as the case opens. If they're not, feedback is open until the case closes without payment.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks all for your responses. The trick to this question is: At this point, I don't really want to buyer to pay. If I open an unpaid dispute, it will encourage them to pay to avoid bad feedback.

I just had a look at their feedback. Even though it's mostly positive, a lot of the "positive" comments are actually negative! ie. listed as positive, but comments like "Did not pay, bad for eBay, do not deal with!!" etc. What gives? Why would people leave these comments under postive feedback?

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply