Cancelling store to get more promos?

I have a featured store which means I get very few listing promo offers. I see that most people on these boards who don't have stores are saying they get free listings every weekend. So I'm considering closing my store to take advantage of that offer while it still lasts, if they decide to end it I can always re-subscribe to a store again.

Has anyone done this? Did you start getting the promos or are you forever marked as a 'store owner' and therefore ineligible even when the store is gone?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Be careful, firstly there is no gaurantee that you will get the promo, but more importantly you will have to change your items to auction format, or they will be listed as good till cancelled and you could get hit with a $1.65 listing fee  every time they relist, once your 40 free listings per month have been used up

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Sooooo, if you do that, what will you do with the 1,912 listings you can't use?

You'll only have 40 free listings.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

To add, the free relists have gone and promo's are becoming scarcer.

I wouldn't be surprised if listing promo's reduce to random accounts with little activity like they started out as.

I suggest opening another eBay account and see if you get promos on that one.

You will be restricted to start with but may prove useful in the longer term.

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

The plan was to use the free listing weekends promo for as long as it lasted and then switch back to a store, thereby saving me the insertion fees I am paying on the 500 odd items I have above my 1500 featured store allocation. I had a chat with ebay staff thugh on the live chat and found out that even if I close my store I won't be eligible for the weekend promo anyway as it is only given to those with a lower volume of sales than I have. So that was good to know before I cancelled, thought I'd post back here in case any one in future does a post search for a similar plan.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@activeentertainment wrote:

The plan was to use the free listing weekends promo for as long as it lasted and then switch back to a store, thereby saving me the insertion fees I am paying on the 500 odd items I have above my 1500 featured store allocation. I had a chat with ebay staff thugh on the live chat and found out that even if I close my store I won't be eligible for the weekend promo anyway as it is only given to those with a lower volume of sales than I have. So that was good to know before I cancelled, thought I'd post back here in case any one in future does a post search for a similar plan.

I think you have been fobbed off by CS.  My sales for the last 12 months, has topped yours by 16, yet I get the promo every weekend and have done so for the last 15 months.  Excepting 2 months, after having a run in with The international resolution centre, some truths they just dont like hearing.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The reps wouldn't really know why particular sellers get the promos but it does seem to be hit and miss.  If you closed your store I wouldn't rely on getting them but I'm not saying you wouldn't.  You could always re-open the store if you didn't get them but I'd probably try closing the store just after you list everything so you've got two or three weeks to see if any promos kick in before you need to relist everything.

If you have any multiple listings you wouldn't be able to list those with the promos because they're always for single item listings.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I have never received the weekend promos on this account.  I got one of the 'list as much as you can with no insertion fees' promos about a month before Christmas and that is the only promo I ever got here, even though my sales here are minimal.  I also didn't get any free re-lists in the past year or so.  I always assumed that it was because I also have a store (just the basic one, sales have been ok at times but not great), but from reading other posts many other sellers also have a store and got the promos and relists on their non store accounts, so it seems the offers are random indeed and can't be counted on.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

@activeentertainment wrote:

I think you have been fobbed off by CS.  My sales for the last 12 months, has topped yours by 16, yet I get the promo every weekend and have done so for the last 15 months.  Excepting 2 months, after having a run in with The international resolution centre, some truths they just dont like hearing.

Hmm that is interesting. I did have a feeling they would say no just to get me to keep the store. The actual words said were, "the promotion qualifies the accounts with low sales and way below your seller performance status". I'm not sure what they mean by seller performance status though. How can you see my 12 month sale volume by the way? How many sales ($ / amount of items) have you had in the past 12 months, if you don't mind sharing that info of course (I understand if you do not).

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

We have a store on this account, and sometimes get unlimited free listings promotions (usually near the beginning of the month).

Our non-store accounts generally get an unlimited free listings promotion each month.

However, only one,  which is the one with the most listings and highest sales, gets the weekend promotion.

So it appears to be quite random, but also doesn't appear to change on a regular basis - ie. once you have a promotion, you generally keep it, and if you don't have it, don't count on getting it any time soon.

As others have said, why not try starting a new id as it will probably get the promotions.  You just have to have a bit of patience while the low limits are in place.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply