Changes to Email Address Visibility on eBay

"To protect all our customers’ privacy and combat spam and phishing attacks, we’ll show most buyers and sellers an alias email address for each other on eBay orders. This is a global change that will apply to a majority of eBay’s sites. Starting in mid-September, you’ll still be able to send messages to your buyers both directly and via eBay, but instead of their actual email address, you’ll see an alias email address. Your email address will also be shown as an alias address to your buyers. "

Does that mean we have no access to the buyer's email address?

As a seller, I need to enter email address in courier's system, so buyers can receive delivery notification such as if the parcel is onboard to be delivered today, if the parcel is at the collection centre to be picked up or the parcel has been left at the premises. 

If I can't get the email, how can they be notified? 

I need some clarification please.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@little.ripple wrote:

"To protect all our customers’ privacy and combat spam and phishing attacks, we’ll show most buyers and sellers an alias email address for each other on eBay orders. This is a global change that will apply to a majority of eBay’s sites. Starting in mid-September, you’ll still be able to send messages to your buyers both directly and via eBay, but instead of their actual email address, you’ll see an alias email address. Your email address will also be shown as an alias address to your buyers. "

Does that mean we have no access to the buyer's email address?

As a seller, I need to enter email address in courier's system, so buyers can receive delivery notification such as if the parcel is onboard to be delivered today, if the parcel is at the collection centre to be picked up or the parcel has been left at the premises. 

If I can't get the email, how can they be notified? 

I need some clarification please.

It would appear so.

You would have to ask eBay, and they don't visit the boards.

I suspect it is to push sellers to use the eBay label system. Currently that imports email addresses and phone numbers into the postage. As it does for MyPost Business.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks. I use Mypost and Fastway. I'll contact eBay.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

We all know why they're doing it but I am not happy about it, not because of your problem, OP, but because I block non-payers and troublemakers via email address so that they can't make a duplicate account and buy again. When I used to simply block their username, they'd often turn up a few weeks later with a new account, but blocking emails has seemed more effective.

And before anyone tells me to require immediate payment - 80% of my orders are multiple items, so that doesn't work for me.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

"combat spam and phishing" hahahaah
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

How does blocking by email address work any better than blocking by ID.....they have to have a different email address to open a new ID?

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

The answer to this is simply bottom line. They simply don't want buyers and sellers communicating directly and cutting deals as eBay loses it's cut.
So forcing communication through eBay Messaging gives them the ability to catch sellers out by using the 'Big Fat text script robot' to scan message content and raise the alarm.

We currently use the PayPal email notification to automatically send back a return email to confirm the customers order, so will lose this automated function soon.
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Yeah paypal API always works but if you are on MP I wonder if the ebay api still imports the email?
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

I just go this from customer service: "You dont need to add your buyer's email address if your going to deliver a parcel.
As long as you have put the tracking number on your sold items the buyer can track the item" hahaha

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Ha ha, indeed.

If a buyer uses a parcel locker or parcel collect, AP REQUIRES an email address. I guess eBay missed that bit in their rush to squeeze as much as they can from a failing business model.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply