Changes to Email Address Visibility on eBay

"To protect all our customers’ privacy and combat spam and phishing attacks, we’ll show most buyers and sellers an alias email address for each other on eBay orders. This is a global change that will apply to a majority of eBay’s sites. Starting in mid-September, you’ll still be able to send messages to your buyers both directly and via eBay, but instead of their actual email address, you’ll see an alias email address. Your email address will also be shown as an alias address to your buyers. "

Does that mean we have no access to the buyer's email address?

As a seller, I need to enter email address in courier's system, so buyers can receive delivery notification such as if the parcel is onboard to be delivered today, if the parcel is at the collection centre to be picked up or the parcel has been left at the premises. 

If I can't get the email, how can they be notified? 

I need some clarification please.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Yeah exactly I know AP is optional for normal delivery, but fastway and sendle actually require it to send any parcel. What about other couriers? DHL, FedEX, UPS, ??

Anyway the amount of people contact outside ebay imo is not from email, mainly phone but also lot of high volume business sellers will use their email address to sign up for newsletters

As you said not really thought through.
Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

I'd say the "alias" email address will be like a relay system.  If you email them at the alias, eBay will relay it out to their actual email address, and vice versa, like Gumtree does.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

So does this mean the end of My Post Business labels? Are they slowing shutting the door to them as well as Paypal?

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

The email addresses are not actually shown on the Aust Post label,  so it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

After all the buyer can still see the tracking number in his purchases screen.

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

The email addresses are not actually shown on the Aust Post label,  so it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

After all the buyer can still see the tracking number in his purchases screen.

Except, as I noted yesterday, if the recipient uses parcel locker/collect. AP require an email address for those.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
Yeah exactly I know AP is optional for normal delivery, but fastway and sendle actually require it to send any parcel. What about other couriers? DHL, FedEX, UPS, ??

Anyway the amount of people contact outside ebay imo is not from email, mainly phone but also lot of high volume business sellers will use their email address to sign up for newsletters

As you said not really thought through.

no, that is not correct Fastway and sendle do not require the email address and even if they do, it will be a system generated email that does not exist.Does not have to be a valid email

All Marketplaces like Amazon, Catch, Kogan and so on , do not give sellers acces to buyer email and they all ship millions of parcels just fine 

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Interesting points. MyPost eBay import, includes the buyer's email address for Australia Post to send the notifications. eBay will have to anomalise that feature as well and then Australia Post will need to re-engineer their interface for tracking updates via eBay. Imagine the extra traffic that will create with a minimum of 4 emails per order:

Send tracking notifications to this recipient (optional)

If selected, delivery notifications keep the recipient updated when the parcel is:
1. Being prepared by Australia Post
2. Onboard with the driver for delivery
3. Had an attempted delivery
4. Delivered
Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

I just checked in our booking system and except eBay all the emails from buyers look like this :
AU-CUSTOMER@NOTSPECIFIED.COM.AU or no-reply@xxxx.com.au

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

How does blocking by email address work any better than blocking by ID.....they have to have a different email address to open a new ID?

Correct, but because the block list isn't dynamic (or, at least, it never used to be) if they changed their username, they could buy from you again.

For example if I block lollipopbubblegumgirl15, and she changes her username to lollipopbubblegumgirl16, she would be able to buy from me. So blocking emails is more effective, because unless she also changed her email (which is more trouble, but still possible, of course) she wouldn't be able to buy.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

If the buyer opened another ID by changing the 15 to 16 they would still need a new email address to do so.

Only if they change their ID do they use the same email address and as far as I am aware the system cross references the old and new IDs and blocks both.....at least it used to be that way.

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply