Changes to posting parcels to the United States

Has anyone posted parcels to USA recently? What new procedures did you have to follow?

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/international-mail-updates/parcels-to-t...

New US legislation requires customs information to be digitally captured

Date: 31 January 2019
Expected delays: None

Australia Post is committed to ensuring our continued ability to successfully deliver International parcels without delay or disruption.

Due to recent legislation introduced by the US government under the Synthetics Trafficking and Overdose Prevention (STOP) Act 2018, all postal organisations must meet increased compliance levels on capture and supply of advance information on the type and contents of parcels entering the country, which needs to be electronically transmitted to the US (known as Electronic Advanced Data or EAD).

What this means for customers

From Monday 4 February 2019, Australia Post retail staff will be obliged to enter information that a customer includes on their paper customs form into a digital form at the retail counter.

The customer will be issued with a receipt when their parcel is lodged.

At this stage, Australia Post is only digitally capturing customs information for parcels destined to the United States. There are no impacts to parcels destined for other countries, although we are aware other countries are looking to introduce similar EAD regulations.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5788/summary

The American government website mentions a $1 fee - who is paying that?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

None I sent a parcel to the UK and one to the US and both required the same amount of work which was minimal. As far as $1 did not notice any charge.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I have had a number of parcels and large letters to the U.S in the last week or so.

For parcels the seller is required to weigh each individual item in the parcel and advise AP counter staff of the nett weight & type of items ( minus packaging ) .If you dont know the weight the counter staff just guess.  AP staff then have to log all of this info, along with senders & recievers address manually into the computer. IT TAKES FOREVER AND IS A NIGHTMARE !!!

The system has only required this info for parcels at this stage. My large letters have not been affected. I have heard that some other large letters have also been caught up in the system, but hasnt happened to me yet. ( all documents, not hard merchandise )

I wouldnt be just dropping U.S mail in your post box at the moment. It looks like it all has to go over the counter, at least until some systems are sorted out regards individual contents weight.

No $1 fee, but AP will have to push the price of U.S postage up to cover the extra work. No other countries affected by the system at this stage.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If you can create and print your labels through My Post, it takes about 30 seconds at the counter since you enter all the required info online already.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

What do you use for the tariff code as I cannot get past without entering a number

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

You don't need to enter one, just select the non-commercial option and then under reason for export, select sale of goods. (Commercial shipments are something a bit different ).
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks, thats where I went wrong.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

It is visibly annoying the staff.  (The lady who serviced me this morning was sighing and blowing air all through it and when it was all done let out a big "finally!"  (Please don't make jokes about that sentence.)

Feel sorry for the workers.  They don't seem to be able to even copy the prior sender details to the next parcel on their system.

So far I haven't been asked to provide a separate weight for the items inside at all.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Had a parcel for US yesterday - the PO lady said thank goodness you have used mypost and printed and paid for the label before lodging, otherwise I would have to do it manually.

So printing your labels at home pays off.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Had a parcel for US yesterday - the PO lady said thank goodness you have used mypost and printed and paid for the label before lodging, otherwise I would have to do it manually.

So printing your labels at home pays off.

Totally agree with this sentiment. I do whatever I can to make my mail carrier's jobs easier. Because then they might do you favours.

For example, I told the Postie a few weeks ago that he can just ride his bike right up to my front door across the grass. On monday he left not 1, but 2 registered post letters on my doorstep without a signature because I was not home. I was very glad about this, because it contained international stamps that I was completely out of.

Conversely, I also don't want to have to worry about them tossing my parcels around because I annoyed them.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply