Changes to the boards.

I think everyone here needs to be aware of what eBay is planning for the boards, and also have a look at what they've done to the US and UK boards.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Updates-coming-to-eBay-com-au-Discussion-Boards/m...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Changes to the boards.

I certain circumstances it can be useful. Like when someone starts their post with "I'm new to eBay" and they have a feedback score of 3200. 

Message 21 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree about the feedback and/or number of posts being necessary. The number of posts is no indication of how accurate the information in a person's post is, any more than their feedback number is an indication of how well they know how ebay works.

True, but it can instill confidence in the member one is conversing with.

I have asked some questions on other forums and when I see a long time poster answer my querie, I feel there is no need to investigate further as I have probably been given the correct answer.

Perhaps tippy, we could put the year we started in community as our sig.Smiley Wink

-Community Poster since 2008-

image host
Message 22 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

I'm personally not too fussed about whether FB and / or post count appears in threads - the info is on a poster's profile if it really needs to be known, but I think a lot of the time they're pretty basic stats that sometimes allow the presumptions or impressions without any genuine basis, much like the effect of the badges, which just summarises and visually represents board activity, anyway - clearly I'm not inexperienced as an eBay buyer, and I have a pretty high post count, but I don't want that to encourage people to feel like my word is gospel, as I get things wrong often enough (I've posted outdated, and therefore incorrect, info, misunderstood policies, and when it comes to advice and opinion, I primarily intend for those things to be taken into consideration rather than anything else).

The things I wanted most for the boards appears to be the opposite of the way it's going, which is genuinely disappointing (to me). Those things are accessibility, and appeal to a wider range of new posters, through greater prominence of the link(s) leading here, and simplified boards / sections. Navigating the US boards is frustrating, the front page is kind of ok, seems relatively simple enough, but when you get to all of the sub-categories, things take a turn for the worse, IMHO. 

One of the reasons I only post on the buying and selling boards is I genuinely don't have time to scatter my attention over other sub-boards. Clicking through and checking / reading 2 boards sometimes takes way longer than I intend, especially if I feel like I have something to say, so I doubt I'll be expanding my activity much (not suggesting that's a loss for anyone Smiley Very Happy just that I wouldn't be alone, and that both those seeking help, and those attempting to provide it, may sometimes become ships passing in the night, further disconnecting eBay members from the sense of community that I genuinely feel is important). 

sigh

Message 23 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

@tippy and @kopes

(don't believe I am going to post this, but . . . . .)

on the USA boards you can see this info by clicking on the poster ID on a post.  This opens a popup that displays the info.  The screengrab below shows this for one of the posters on a badges thread I posted on a couple of weeks ago.  You can click on the view all link to be taken to a more detailed page showing the poster info.

IMG_0536.JPG

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/quot-Badges-We-don-t-need-no-stinkin-badges...

It is about the the only good thing I can see about badges on that site, the fact that they appear in the popup window when clicking on a poster ID.

Message 24 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Perhaps tippy, we could put the year we started in community as our sig.Smiley Wink

-Community Poster since 2008-

Nope - not a good idea at all.

Makes me 2 years older than you.

Not on.

Robot Frustrated

Message 25 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

Well at least that sounds ok, Slr   But maybe newbies won't know to click on the id.

As for Kopes' idea - I have siggies turned off.     They drive me nuts.

Message 26 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

I don't get that pop up. I have to click on the ID to get that same info. I'm currently open in Opera (used to use IE for the forums, but eBay has completely turned off IE by the looks of it). Even with pop up blocker turned off I don't get it. Weird!

Message 27 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

Yeah, but Tippy, you've complained about 'Message Listing' at the botttom of each thread.

I use that instead of the back button, and have no problems with it.

Soooo..................???

Just sayin'

Message 28 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree about the feedback and/or number of posts being necessary. The number of posts is no indication of how accurate the information in a person's post is, any more than their feedback number is an indication of how well they know how ebay works.

I can see where you are coming from, but I tend to give comments from a poster with a feedback score in the thousands a little more credence than a new member with only a few feedbacks. The reason being the highly experienced ebayer with thousands of feedbacks has, over time, probably experienced most of the problems the system throws up and if they are still in business with near 100% feedback, must have worked out solutions to many of these problems.

A new member with little experience and feedback score may have some great ideas and comments to contribute, but may not know their way around the system.

Number of posts can be similar in that regular posters are learning all of the time, trying different things suggested and probably have a better understanding of how the system works, simply from being exposed to the ideas and solutions given in the forums.

Of course with posting id,s ( like mine     Smiley Very Happy    ) we dont really know who we are talking too or what their real experience is. Could be lots, could be little. Then it simply comes down to consistency over time and how accurate and helpful their posts are.

Message 29 of 59
Latest reply

Changes to the boards.

I get taken all over the place with that link, like some sort of time warp vortex. round,spiral,abstract,desktop,bright,color,wallpaper,pattern

I just clicked it then and got taken to page 123. Clicked it again and got teleported to page 88. Beam me up Scotty! more_travel_img

Message 30 of 59
Latest reply