Changing the Currency I sell in

So I sell cables - not very exciting but what we do, the issue I have is all our competitors price in USD while our products  come up displayed as AUD.  So a customer has a quick look sees our competition as 210USD and our price 254AUD and if they even notice two different currencies assume we are more expensive or more of a hassle to deal with.       I would rather sell all my products in USD or even better have it converted to whatever the local currency is.   Finding it impossible to get any help sorting this out anyone got a solution?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You are registered in Australia so your prices will always be Australian dollars

If other sellers are listed in US dollars, they are registered in US

I am not sure how many buyers in OZ would rather buy from US , especially something like cables, and with the added fees and taxes for doing so

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Who are you marketing to?

If Australians, being one of the few located in Aus, with prices in AUD, is a marketing advantage, not disadvantage. Aussies would be seeing the converted USD prices from your competitors, with added GST, on items located outside of Australia. 

If Americans, they would also be seeing your prices in USD anyway, with the amount it was converted from shown underneath, but there can be advantages to listing in USD if that is your primary market.

To list in USD, generally you just have to log into the US site and create listings there - just make sure you list the item location correctly. (Note: managed payments sellers may or may not be able to list on other sites, if you are on MP, check the TOS here, and also for the site you intend to list on, because payments are apparently handled by multiple providers: https://pages.ebay.com.au/payment/2.0/terms.html ). 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

So my main market is the USA  and my sales went from 1 sale every day or 2 to zero not long after signing up for multiplatform payments - ebay now handle all payments and offer after pay, c/card etc etc.   Which would be awesome - but suddenly nothing  ( actually one sale this month ).  So I had played around with a couple of options so asked a few people to check my listing.   It appears as AUD which at a glance appears as more expensive.   

I get hold of ebay - easy solution list in ebay.com instead of ebay.com.au super easy.  I try but when entering the template i am blocked from entering the payment policy because   EBay does not support multiplatform payments to international sellers at this time - explains no sales.     So I contact Ebay    they say yes not available at this time.   I say not good enough and they say "why both answers are correct".

So to sell in USD you have to list in ebay.com but you can not because of a payment option we asked you to adopt - I am still clapping.   They literally killed my sales overnight and just do not care I was doing just fine with paypal only payments.  It is now like i am trying to sell gold but everyone else is buying/selling in USD and I want to sell in Yen.    So now i am focused on sorting out google ads and getting an Amazon account up and running until ebay sort themselves out - i will know wehn becuae i will suddnely be selling 1 every day or 2 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

One other little diamond hidden away in the managed payments T's & C's. Ebay managed payments will charge the seller an extra fee of around 3.3% ( from memory ) to do any currency conversions. So your selling costs will be significantly higher if you list in another currency to that which your bank account is operating in.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I thought paypal did that as well ?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yes I think you are right Kats. Just thought it was worth mentioning as the OP was giving consideration to selling in another currency.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply