Cheapest/easiest way for a buyer to return a duplicate item?

Hi everyone,

I've actually never been in this situation before, despite selling on eBay for a very long time, so some advice would be appreciated.

I posted an order to a buyer last Friday (18th) in an eBay satchel. We're both in the same city. Checked yesterday (23rd), no scanning events at all, and no delivery.

Buyer needed the item for Christmas so I messaged her and checked that it hadn't been received. I offered to send another one out Express Post so that she'd have it in time for Christmas. She said she'd send one back if they both ended up arriving.

Well, guess what? Today, Australia Post have finally decided to scan the satchel that was sent on the 18th, and it's going to be delivered to her today - along with the Express Post parcel I sent yesterday.

So my question is: what is the cheapest and easiest way for the buyer to return one of the items to me? I think (?) there is a way to print return labels on eBay, but I don't want to receive a defect for doing so, because it's not a return because the item was unsatisfactory.

She's a repeat buyer whom I've traded with for many years, so trusting that she'll return it is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

I would just get her to write on it "return to sender, not at this address" and drop it back in the red box. I've never had any problems doing that before. Just make sure she doesn't open it first.

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

mmmm  i hope aust post dont read these threads,  you would think they had enough to do instead of redelivering parcel for nothing, mmmm

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

Joe, there is nothing wrong with returning an unopened parcel using Return to Sender.

Read the Australia Post website.

I have had items, both parcels and letters returned when they have arrived after the person has moved etc.

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

read what was said      nobody has moved    , it was when the 2 parcels come send 1 back and put not at this address. 

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

No, nobody moved....Australia Post just held the parcel up so it may not have been delivered in time for Christmas....that is a perfectly acceptable reason for using RTS.

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

please  aus post dont guarentee a delivery time on a plain satchel,  what next  aus post reinbursing the sender for the postage cost because it arrived in about a week , mmmm   so what you are saying if you put not at this address  thats fine .   maybe aus post should take the other parcel back addressed to the buyer mmmmmm

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

Joe, I am not going to keep arguing with you.

The advice to use RTS to return the UNOPENED parcel is sound.

If you don't want to believe me ask at your post office.

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

Joe,

I was in a similar situation a few months back with an express post item that was lost and ended up arriving 6-weeks later.

I asked my local PO about how to get it back and this is exactly what they told me and they are a corporate office.

They also said make sure the recipient does not open it first. Just RTS it and it would come back to me by express.

As it turned out my buyer forgot my instructions and did open it first so the plan failed.

But nonetheless, this exact method was given to me by the PO.

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

images (70).jpg

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply