China has the largest online population in the world

China has the largest online population in the world: 538 million users by the end of 2012, versus 141 million in the USA.

China has the largest online population in the world 538 million users vs 141 million in the USA.jpg

Reentering Asian Markets, eBay Rolls with New Strategy

"the new strategy of eBay is... to deliver differentiated global solutions by utilizing eBay’s international trading network; one of its global competitive advantages."

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I could walk around my town and count on one hand how many folk use the internet (or have a mobile phone or even own a computer).

The smaller farming and fishing communities in very rural areas don't keep up with technology.

I.E - great excitement when the National Broadband tent went up in town with a lonely chap sitting beside his table with information brochures.

First question asked: When will our town be getting it?

Answer: l'm sorry, your town isn't on the list.

Hey ? Then why are your sitting here?????

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

I have a friend in the US, who divorced when she was quite young, reared child on part time work and a small amount of child support, did not remarry and worked minimum wage jobs all her life (now, in 2014, she is working for $7 an hour) consequently, her social security payments were minimum too. Not near enough to even feed her, let alone pay rent.

She is now 68 years old, and is working as a waitress.

She is eligible for food stamps though. I just don't know what will happen to her when she can no longer work.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I imagine folk in rural areas of China would be even less likely to even understand what broadband is.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

I am not sure about that. In my extensive travels in Asia, often in out of the way places, the poorest of dwellings had bigger and better TVs than I have ever had. There is no reason for me to believe that they have not taken to the Internet with the same fervour.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

The absolute poverty experienced in China by rural province dwellers is something that you missed on your travels then.

Their human rights record is also disturbing to say the least 😞
Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. This thread is getting a bit heated and interpersonal.

Could we please bring the discussion back to a less heated and interpersonal state.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

NO, we only have have 22/3 million people and not all of them are on line.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

In 2010 eBay collaborated with China Postal and the U.S. Postal Service to create a service which allows international buyers to track products sold by Chinese sellers and Chinese sellers to provide free transportation to international buyers.

http://www.thunderbird.edu/blog/faculty/washburn/2011/08/08/ebay-china

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Really ?

Please post the link that provides those buyers with tracking of the $2 free post item.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply