Click and Send being canned in a few months. Next best thing?

mcbaj
Community Member

Please excuse me if its been said already. I tried searching but couldn't really find the answer I am looking for.

I have been using click and send on my store for quite a few years now. Its easy and simple to use. I print out the shipping labels, 4 each to an A4 paper, sign them, cut them, and pack the bags, take them to my local PO, lodge them and I'm done. I probably do maybe around 100 each week, maybe more.

So. I get a call last month from Aust post saying that C&S is being dropped in a few months and they want me to open up an account with them. I don't like having accounts, I pay as I go. It stops me from forgetting to pay the accounts, plus I am the type if I don't have the money for something, I wont use credit, I just wait or go without. 

Anyhow, they then said I can use a My Post account? I then asked if it works the same as C & S where when I log in, all the buyers details come up in the account. They couldn't answer this. Huh?

So. Here I am. What are others using as an alternative? Does My Post work like C&S?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@mcbaj wrote:

eBay labels are a whole 5c cheaper, and you can only print one label per A4. Plus I had no 500g express option when I tred it (eBay label) this morning. Doesn't seem to good.

I find eBay labels are +\-10% cheaper than C&S or PO for parcels over 500gms.  Agreed there is probably little difference on 500gm parcels/satchels.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Digi how hard was it to open a B250 account? Did you have to have an ABN?

Thinking about it for a while just haven't made the jump yet. Appreciate any advice.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

You can apply online via your C&S account (I still get the link to apply on the home page after logging in, so you might find it there). 

You do have to have an ABN though, I already had one so that wasn't an issue for me, but they really only require some basic info - from memory I provided my details, my ABN and ticked a box to say that I would be sending international mail. It took a few days to get the approval but the discounts on domestic products were applied immediately. This is especially good for express, as it means I can charge pretty close to normal price for it and allow the discount to cover the cost of FVF. 

They'll also send you a barcode to be used at the PO for any products that you can't pay for online, which is all the international parcels (I used to have it printed out on  a piece of paper, but often forgot it, so now I just kept a copy in an image file on my phone, as the scanner has no trouble reading it). The barcode needs to be scanned to get the discount applied, and the package has to be processed in a specific way to ensure the tracking number generated is the same as the one on the labels you printed at home - I have the process down to a T so quite often I have to talk the staff through it Smiley LOL (Apparently I'm the only one at my PO with the discount, and I think the extra step throws them off, no matter how many times they do it - but in case it's ever of any help to anyone, the correct procedure is: scan parcel barcode, select lodgement, not paid for, then press F3 for customer number, scan B250 barcode and confirm the details that come up [customer name] are correct, then proceed as normal. If it's not done this way, the parcel can still be lodged but the system will generate a new tracking number which eliminates proof of post to the specific address. 

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

These links might help you until Digi gets here glen.

https://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/parcel-shipping-couriers/volume-delivery-discounts/busines...

https://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/parcel-shipping-couriers/volume-delivery-discounts/busines...

Edit.     G'day Digi !!!!

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Cheers Padi and Digi, thanks very much for the info and tips will be checking out.

Just didn't want to jump in till had some info, so now it might be worthwhile. Always looking for an edge. 

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Sorry there mate. I was thinking the C250 was an actual monthly account. I dont have the C250 account but have just applied. Smiley Very Happy We'll see what happens. 

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Nobody has mentioned it yet but there is one very significant advantage to C&S.

If you are sending a large parcel (over 500g) within your local zone, you can get a flat rate of $10.05 for 501g to 22kg.

Just choose "Own Packaging" then give weight and dimensions.

I don't know what the cost would be to non-business 250 accounts but it would still be flat up to the 22kg limit.

I suspect it would also be cheaper than a 3kg satchel.

If I'm sending a heavy parcel interzone up to 50km away I still have to go to the PO though and ask for it.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Digi, just got our B250 account set up and of course couldn't use it the first time I tried at the PO. Blank looks and shrugs, "oh this is done all online"....well duh, I think I know that! phone calls on hold to someone so in the end I gave up and paid normal price. The man behind the counter scanned my B250 barcode and then didn't know what to do after that.

I had a parcel with a label that I had printed out onto my own plain white label as it was a sale via Etsy, so no auto loading of details like what happens for an Ebay sale. But thought that I could then just take that parcel to the PO and they would process, and apply the discount to the normal charge once they had weighed and got the details on their screen.

Have I done something wrong? Have tried to contact AP myself but of course pretty hard and still waiting to get reply.  

Why don't they train their staff for the products that they release?

Have read what you do, but surely there is a way to do this without me having to show them what to do? Any advice?

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

hi! :]

just thought i'd reply - not sure if it's relevant - but as far as i'm aware, the B250 discounts only apply to satchels. 

i looked into this as well - but i send a lot of parcels and these aren't applicable for discounts if you use your own packaging. own packaging is even classed as the AP boxes (Bx1 etc). i figured it was all too hard - especially considering i also send most express items using 1kg satchels and they aren't included in the B250 discounts either.

hope this helps (have attached the price chart). 

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Thanks for checking in, B250 should work for us as 98% of our deliveries are via satchells. Sorry, just re-read my original post and wasn't clear there that we use satchells, understand that you would have read as a box. Always use C&S as so easy to use, and great system. Just want to get the service that they promise with the 250 account applied to our post. 

My astonishment at the PO was profound when the guy just looked at me blankly, and was completely befuddled as to what he was supposed to do with the bar code and how to apply it to my satchell. 

It really does astound me how Aust Post can have products that their staff obviously are not trained on. Why don't they either have online training or go around the major PO's and do in house training? After all, AP constantly tell us that on-line sales, ie parcels, are the expanding side of their business, one has to ask....then why don't they keep up! Feel sorry for the staff behind the counter, who are out of their depth, but their situation doesn't help me.

Have now sent a fairly strong mess to AP so hopefully will get some help on Monday.

Cheers and thanks, will come back when get some info.

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply