Closed My Store And

Hi All

I just closed my Feature Store which I have had for some mine. $49.99 per month I should also state for the past 6 months it has been Free. One of eBays Promos.. anyway I closed it as it was completely dead I have over 300 listings there and nothing was happening for about 6 weeks. I closed it and eBay wanted to know why so I told them. Nothing in 6 weeks where as I was selling at least 1 or 2 a day but fot 6 weeks Nothing. I told them turn the lights back on.. Now it the past 2 Days I have had 6  sales. So as far as I am concerned eBay DO Control the sellers buy limiting what they sell.

Paddy

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Closed My Store And

saarzi
Community Member

I always find this "belief" thing in regard to Ebays throttling / lights out controlling sales thing really bizarre. Its like someone saying "the grass is green", and the other person saying "hmmm i dont know, Im not sure I believe it".  Umm.. ok.

Controlling sales is a normal part of any large retailer in the world. Sales of ALL lines of goods and brands are controlled in EVERY large supermarket or retail chain in the entire world.

Walk into any Coles, for example. Every single product, on every single shelf, if placed there to control the sales of that products. Eye level sells more. Those things at the end of the isles sell more. It doesnt end there. How many ROWS of each product on each shelf is controlled, how much space, how long the product is there, and when the placement is switched with something else.

Also, they dont want *everything* to sell like crazy. Its controlled. They have contracts, they have a huge business model thats nutted out to maximise profits. one or two products selling like crazy stuffs up the game. For example - Georges fish cakes. Removed from sale because they were outselling other products that made Coles more profit. Now customers are forced to chose the higher profit products. Even if actually sales dip slightly because Georges Fish cakes were removed, the overall profit is STILL higher. Ive seen soooo many ebay sellers here say things like "but why would you remove something that is selling like crazy - profit is profit!"... no. profit is not profit. The largest profit / maximising profit is what matters, and nothing else.

Supermarkets have contracts with their suppliers, and obviously, they dont all get the same treatment. Suppliers pay supermarkets to have their product placed in certain locations, to take up certain amounts of space, and/or for certain time periods. Payment can be as a lump sum, per item sold, marketing, kickbacks and a hundred other things not directly related to each sale. This benefits supermarkets because it maximises their profits - to the cent.

Why do people think that Ebay would be any different?  Why would Ebay say - "Screw this, we're NOT going to maximise our profits - we're NOT going to control sales, we're NOT going to have a tier of contracts for different seller types like everyone else in the world, lets just make it a free for all and lose millions" ???

There was never a question of whether they have different contracts for different types of sellers (ma/pa vs. big retail) - they DO. There is no queston of whether they control sales in order to meet their obligations in these contracts. THEY DO. It isnt some scam or unethical thing. Its completely normal business practice in the world of retail.

For them not to have different levels of contract, and not be controlling sales - that would be an almost non existant anomoly. It just doesnt happen because its stupid, it would lose business millions / billions. And big retail are NOT stupid - that includes Ebay (for the most part!).

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

well then in your theory   smaller ebay sellers selling a book at $10  compaired to a large target store selling the book for $10 ,

ebay would give more preference to the smaller sellers as they prob pay 10% fees compaired with targets 6% fees.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

ugh. No joe. Read the post again. Maximising profit does not come to large retail companies only from individual sales.  Google a little about how retail businesses actually work.  Its not my "theory" or my opinion, it is practice in almost all large stores / chains / businesses (not just retail), worldwide.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

for the past 6 months it has been Free. One of eBays Promos

I'd like to know how that came about.

Anybody else have this wondrous offer?

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

I agree totally with what Saarzi has said.

In every marketplace there will be a finite supply and a finite demand. Ebay will be fully aware of stats for any particular market and probably even to individual products within that market due to previous sales history.

If for instance 100 sellers are selling the same thing and 75% of them own a store then it makes sense that ebay will promote all of those sellers items at least some of the time so that they don't lose the store subscriptions, but they are unlikely to push a single seller all of the time either for the same reason as they may make less profit from that particular seller's pricing.

If everybody selling the same product gets a little slice of the pie then they are more likely to keep selling which in turn make ongoing profit for ebay from the subscription fees as well as the selling fees.

It makes no difference to ebay who sells the product but what does matter is an overall increase in the market share for that product against ebays major competitors such as Amazon and other large online retailers.

It is competition with those sort of marketplaces that causes ebay to offer unrealistic customer expectations so as to be comparable with what Amazon is offering their buyers.

Us small sellers are merely pawns in a much larger chess game.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

I just wish they were open about it. Their 'doing it behind closed doors' is the part I feel is unethical.

And if wishes were ducks we'd all be quacking!
Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Controlling more than people know.

The following has been and is part of many business models.

In eBay's case I believe eBay staff are set to task by purchasing a certain amount of goods on eBay and resell at cost or a small loss.

When a member closes a store, it is possible a message is sent to "internal purchasers" whom are at different locations, making a few purchases if the goods are easily posted.

The small losses on such is comparatively low versus the gains.

Keeping a business active in times of a downturn by proactively engaging in purchasing it's own products is often a necessity.

image host
Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

@saarzi wrote:

Controlling sales is a normal part of any large retailer in the world. Sales of ALL lines of goods and brands are controlled in EVERY large supermarket or retail chain in the entire world.

Why do people think that Ebay would be any different?  Why would Ebay say - "Screw this, we're NOT going to maximise our profits - we're NOT going to control sales, we're NOT going to have a tier of contracts for different seller types like everyone else in the world, lets just make it a free for all and lose millions" ???

There was never a question of whether they have different contracts for different types of sellers (ma/pa vs. big retail) - they DO. There is no queston of whether they control sales in order to meet their obligations in these contracts. THEY DO. It isnt some scam or unethical thing. Its completely normal business practice in the world of retail.

For them not to have different levels of contract, and not be controlling sales - that would be an almost non existant anomoly. It just doesnt happen because its stupid, it would lose business millions / billions. And big retail are NOT stupid - that includes Ebay (for the most part!).

Be that as it may.  I pay them rent, I expect my goods to be visible ..... whether it be on the top shelf or bottom shelf, they are still visible.

Imagine walking into a shopping centre, and half the shops are shut.  When you ask why, the answer is, "Oh, they've sold their share this week, we have to give the others a chance, so they can pay their rent".

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

totally agree with your sentiment

I am at the stage where sales have dwindled to non existent and it really is no longer viable for me to purchase any new stock

I shall run out the stock I have and then no doubt close up shop
Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

for the past 6 months it has been Free. One of eBays Promos

I'd like to know how that came about.

Anybody else have this wondrous offer?

I posted the first thread when I thought someone was having me on This is the Original Post.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Received-A-Phone-Call-From-eBay-on-quot-How-To-Create-Effec...

Once I received my invoice I checked it and this was the follow up Post

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/I-Got-My-Feature-Store-For-FREE-for-6-Months/m-p/1865269#M1...

This was back in September 2015

Thats as much as I know

Paddy

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply