Combined postage

Twice in the last couple of days I have had buyers trying to buy multiple items and saying that they get a message which says I don't offer combined postge - but I do!

I have checked the settings on the individual listings and neither have immediate payment required (I don't have it on any of my listings). I have also checked Postage Preferences under site preferences and I have 'Offer combined payments and postage' marked as Yes.

In the past, I have always been able to create a combined invoice for those wishing to buy multiple items - so something has changed, and quite recently. How can I create a combined invoice?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Combined postage

Hi Eggles,

Yes, this will happen if the buyer clicks the "buy it now" button.

What I have done to try to prevent this happening, is put a brief step-by-step guide in my description entitled, "How to Combine Postage". The steps are:

1. Click "add to cart". This will take you to the "shopping cart" page.

2. On the shopping cart page, click "continue shopping"

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all of the items are in the shopping cart

4. Click "request total from seller"

I've had considerably less people buying each item separately with "buy it now", and less "how do I combine postage?" messages since I put this on my listings. I actually didn't expect anyone to take any notice of it, but they seem to.

Feel free to put it on yours.

Cheers.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

That's all well and good if the request option is there, but the problem is there is NO option to request an invoice.  It was gone for a few weeks, then came back for a few weeks, and the past week it has gone again.  I have checked with my buyers that have bought multiple items and there is not option to request an invoice.  I also got caught last week in buying multiple items - there is no option to request an invoice.  

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

Hi Eggles,

Yes, this will happen if the buyer clicks the "buy it now" button.

What I have done to try to prevent this happening, is put a brief step-by-step guide in my description entitled, "How to Combine Postage". The steps are:

1. Click "add to cart". This will take you to the "shopping cart" page.

2. On the shopping cart page, click "continue shopping"

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all of the items are in the shopping cart

4. Click "request total from seller"

I've had considerably less people buying each item separately with "buy it now", and less "how do I combine postage?" messages since I put this on my listings. I actually didn't expect anyone to take any notice of it, but they seem to.

Feel free to put it on yours.

Cheers.

Thanks for this suggestion - I will add similar to my listings, although with more than 700 over more than one ID, it will take time.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

@mirrhing wrote:

That's all well and good if the request option is there, but the problem is there is NO option to request an invoice.  It was gone for a few weeks, then came back for a few weeks, and the past week it has gone again.  I have checked with my buyers that have bought multiple items and there is not option to request an invoice.  I also got caught last week in buying multiple items - there is no option to request an invoice.  

That looks a lot like A/B testing.

Run scenario A then tally results, run scenario B and see how that goes, wash, rinse, repeat.

After a while you'll have a dataset that tells you which scenario is better (criteria for "better" may be quite original).

My guess is that ebay are trying to figure out if the market will accept the instant payment regime on a permanent basis.

Instant payment is, after all, a good way to gouge extra fees without doing anything to earn them.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
According to ebay, immediate payment is being rolled out to all sellers whether we like it or not. It's not supposed to happen if you have bank deposit as one of your payment methods but some people have said they have bank deposit ticked and it doesn't make any difference.

Buyers have to use the cart instead of using BIN, and they have to request a combined total from the cart. I don't really understand the cart as I've rarely used it, from what I've read in the forums requesting a total is the same as buying the items. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I added bank deposit, but that didn't work. I tried to buy a few things from one seller a few weeks ago. Added them all to the cart, requested a total, got the message that the seller doesn't combine postage. I contacted the seller as it was in his listings that he does combine. Neither of us could work it out. He was out of free listings for the month so wasn't keen to relist as a bulk, even though I offered to pay the insertion fee. I missed out on the items I wanted, he missed out on a big sale.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

Hi Clarry

The buyer was using a mobile, and doesn't have access to a desktop/laptop. So I created a special listing that combined both items. Hopefully this will solve the issue for the time being, but what a rigmarole to go through when buyers want to combine purchases. Why can't ebay leave this alone, especially as there is provision for it in the preferences.

I've found if the seller has sent a combined invoice, most of the time you can combine on the app. In future, suggest that your buyer access the full site via the browser on their phone/device if that's all they have access to. It can be a bit confusing for them if they've not used it before, but if you are happy to send instructions, most are happy to follow them.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@javacentric wrote:

If the buyer was using a mobile, then the eBay mobile app does not have a function for mulitbuys or combined invoice/postage. It never has, even though it's been around for years now. But eBay never tells the buyers this...

For a lot of my purchases, providing the seller has sent an invoice with combined costs, *most* of the time it allows multi buys. Well, it has for auctions I've won any way. I say most, because it is eBay and what works today, doesn't always work tomorrow!

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

I think I might just go back to all auctions and put a note in the listing saying if the buyer wants me to end early so they don't have to wait, then send a message. Most of the time I only get one bid, so it wouldn't worry me ending early to sell to them. At least with auctions you're not forced into immediate payment.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
According to ebay, immediate payment is being rolled out to all sellers whether we like it or not. It's not supposed to happen if you have bank deposit as one of your payment methods but some people have said they have bank deposit ticked and it doesn't make any difference.

Buyers have to use the cart instead of using BIN, and they have to request a combined total from the cart. I don't really understand the cart as I've rarely used it, from what I've read in the forums requesting a total is the same as buying the items. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I added bank deposit, but that didn't work. I tried to buy a few things from one seller a few weeks ago. Added them all to the cart, requested a total, got the message that the seller doesn't combine postage. I contacted the seller as it was in his listings that he does combine. Neither of us could work it out. He was out of free listings for the month so wasn't keen to relist as a bulk, even though I offered to pay the insertion fee. I missed out on the items I wanted, he missed out on a big sale.

In future get them to do what I do - edit one of the listings to include the required items. Simple.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Hello, I have been around a long time lurking on this forum and I have that written down beside my computer and have sent that info off numerous times , but Buyers don't believe it is their problem and have to change anything, it is always the Sellers fault.  One buyer tried that after I sent line by line the steps to follow and then came back to me and said they already had that setup.  So life isn't meant to be easy. 

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply