Combining shipping

Hi,

What does everyone else do regarding getting around PayPal seller protection for combined shipping? I usually make a call on each case by looking at feedback etc... and have in most cases combined, either through lack of knowledge earlier on in my selling career, and lately have not really had to think about it through lack of sales, Lol.

The reason i ask is that I have had a few strange occurences recently, one of which was on another thread with the 'request for CS feedback' despite never having contacted them for about 6 months! Anyway this new sale/s is from a buyer with no recent feedback, but who is wanting two or three items? In the past when I was green, I sent two otems and used the same tracking number on both, it worked fine, but obviously the buyer was honest so no problems. But what are the best way around this issue, without having to refuse to combine?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Combining shipping

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you send an invoice for 2 or more items with one postage cost then you have seller protection as long as you use a compliant postage method.....SOD, tracking or whatever you use.

If each item is paid seperately then you need to send as seperate parcels...each with their own tracking number.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If a buyer has already paid for the items, I make a judgement call based on their FB history and/or the total value of the order, plus the method of postage.

If all low value items that I would have sent unregistered large letter even if purchased together, I just combine and refund any overage. Sometimes I just combine and send registered - a buyer may attempt to open an INR for other items in that package, but no seller protection doesn't necessarily mean their claim(s) will be successful. 

If FB history is ok but combined order value is nearing my limit, I refund the postage excess from the lowest value item, send registered and keep that documentation to defend the highest paid item if needed (most applicable to orders with two items, really, but still workable for orders with more items). 

If I won't risk it at all, for any reason, I explain that I'll need to issue a refund, send a new, combined invoice with reduced postage, and go from there (it was pre-defects last time I did that, though. Refunding will sometimes trigger one, I believe). 

In my response, I tend to include instructions for checking out multiple items both for standard PCs etc and mobile apps, for their future reference, explaining that combining post-payment isn't always possible and they'll usually be able to get better combined rates if they pay for multiple items with a single payment (which is true with my items). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I have it stated in my listings that combined postage discounts are only given on items paid for on a single invoice and to wait for one before paying. If they ignore that and pay individually that is how each transaction is treated.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

If I have items where they may win more then one item I have this in my description.

I'm happy to combine postage where possible,(so please wait for an invoice if you win more then one listing).

When I have BIN items I will state,(if you buy more then one listing).

It doesn't always work as some will pay for individual items but,(I've combined some of those under one tracking

number via eBay postage).

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

i just had one that didn't wait for invoice paid 3 x 8.50 postage costs. There is no I I was going to keep all that. I sent the parcel express $10.50, kept enough to cover the ebay fees for all and refunded the rest.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
i just had one that didn't wait for invoice paid 3 x 8.50 postage costs. There is no I I was going to keep all that. I sent the parcel express $10.50, kept enough to cover the ebay fees for all and refunded the rest.

This is what I do, too. There is a notice on every single one of my listings explaining that it's cheaper to wait for my invoice, but that if they don't, they'll get a refund MINUS the fees (and that it's therefore cheaper to wait for my invoice).

I've noticed a significant increase in the amount of people waiting for me to invoice them since I've had that message. Nobody wants to pay more than they have to.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks all for your great input! I did as DG suggested and made a call based on FB etc... I actually got the buyers number from the invoice and sent a message and he ended up calling me so felt safe enough to do so. Everything turned out well and buyer has already left feedback for all three items so happy result all round!

In future though, I will add the suggestion from PJ, Lyndal, Go-Tazz and others on adding a note to my listings about combined postage and needing to wait for an invoice which I don't currently have on my listings.

I also refund significant postage differences without even taking into account the fees, but I think I will also do as others have suggested and put that in my listings too! Thanks for all the input, always helpful to hear how others approach things, especially in the changing world that eBay is becoming!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply