Coronavirus COVID-19 - Economic impact on eBay Sellers. "Where there's Confusion there's Profit"

A friend once quoted "Where there's Confusion there's Profit".... "Where there's more Confusion there's more Profit".

Post your observations, stories, advice and Seller tips here to share.

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Economic impact on eBay Sellers. "Where there's Confusion there's Profit"

In January we ordered good quality 3M face masks for our bush fire kits for next time which worked out around 60c delivered.  Same masks are now selling for $10 each.  Supply and demand.  Nice going if you had a warehouse or garage full of them...

Message 2 of 72
Latest reply

No impact for me on ebay but on my stocks well lets say all bar 1 are kupoot.

Message 3 of 72
Latest reply

International sales have dropped off quite noticably, but Australian sales seem to have picked up enough to cover it. I suspect people are hesitant to buy anything from overseas at the moment and Australians are looking locally rather than buying from China. All up sales are ticking along very nicely at the moment with two full days of packing so far this week.

My local PO ( serves around 20,000 people ) has noticed a dramatic reduction in stuff coming from China and has recieved an internal circular to explain to customers that they cant get the Corona virus from international mail. The virus appears to have AP spooked.

Message 4 of 72
Latest reply

I have just started a new side business and all the items I need to make my products come from China (not made in Aus). I ordered them just after Christmas as I have a convention to attend shortly, but the items have only just started to move out of China.

It will be tight but they should get here in time for me to be able to make a good showing.

Latest reply

My main problem is that both my main and side businesses will be hugely affected if the virus spreads to country Vic before a vaccine is developed.

Latest reply

@maranock wrote:

My main problem is that both my main and side businesses will be hugely affected if the virus spreads to country Vic before a vaccine is developed.

If it gets that bad that it is spreading to country Victoria, I think everyone else will have the same problem. It will cause utter chaos and rock the global economy to the core. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Message 7 of 72
Latest reply

We have had orders in with our suppliers in China since January.  Post Lunar New Year some suppliers remained shut with no employees and some orders were sitting around for weeks waiting couriers.  We are now stocking up and bringing orders forward.

Sales wise - yes, everything is slowing for us.

Message 8 of 72
Latest reply

I'm not a seller but my gut feeling is this is an opportunity for Australian sellers to have more of a chance, almost no matter what they are selling.

I am picking up vibes from friends and family that there's no way on earth they would be buying anything online from China at the moment. They don't want anything that has been in China recently, touched by recent chinese hands.

Aust Post can say what it wants but people in general don't necessarily have faith in any authorities or what they say.

If you're in the travel business though, I think you'd be in a  bit of turmoil & likely to lose money in the short term.

Again, the vibes I am picking up are that a lot of people are turned off even thinking of a cruise at the moment, no matter where it is to, and travel plans are off the menu. People are uncertain so they are holding back.

Message 9 of 72
Latest reply

First time ever I wish I sold everyday boring stuff.

No change here, no sales before, none now. Humming along beautifully lol

Message 10 of 72
Latest reply