Custom changes to minerals and rough stones from australia for postage

Hi does anyone know why you can't send minerals, gemstones, fossils etc from Australia anymore. Auspost will not accept, and customs do not give clearance for these items since the 1/8/22. And can anyone give me advice on what to put on customs declaration forms.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Custom changes to minerals and rough stones from australia for postage

I have had rocks sent as "mineral sample for geology student" before, from overseas. Or just mineral sample. It's a bit more generic than actually quoting red on black opal. Putting it that way isn't lying on the forms, what you are trying to send can actually be a sample.

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

@fra_419208 wrote:

One of those peaple

Errrr….. let’s try peOple shall we 😏

2DE2B1EA-7D38-43A4-8715-DE2C62DB9E0D.jpeg

If using the App, just copy and paste your link. I never use the link tab. 

Like I said…. EBay’s fault! 😏 (not) 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

I think adding a link in the message rather than using the link option is far better. It means you can add multiple links in the same message, but the bots are less likely to block it. That said, sometimes links to AP can be blocked for 24 hours or more for some reason. Suddenly all these messages appear from the same person because they keep trying to post the same link. 

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

….. can still post a screenshot though 😁

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

Hi I have tried twice to upload but it sends me a policy message and threaten of suspension.  I am ignoring janeababe advice because unlike her I have a life. Thank you sons and daughter for your advice. I will just follow customs advice and use costume jewellery. Even though it is misleading.  If you do get a couple of links sent to you from border control or auspost from me read if you want or delete . Take care.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

@fra_419208 wrote:

Hi I have tried twice to upload but it sends me a policy message and threaten of suspension.  I am ignoring janeababe advice because unlike her I have a life. Thank you sons and daughter for your advice. I will just follow customs advice and use costume jewellery. Even though it is misleading.  If you do get a couple of links sent to you from border control or auspost from me read if you want or delete . Take care.

You may think it's misleading, but you're not doing what some of the Chinese sellers of minerals do and post with a description of "gift", without actually saying what is in there. I describe what I'm posting. Indian mineral sellers are also very good at describing exactly what's in the parcel.

Seriously, if costume jewellery is acceptable, use it. It's not like you're trying to send a 44 magnum pistol and trying to say it's a scarf on the customs form. You know the item is genuine, but if costume keeps customs happy, go for it. After all, it is a form of jewellery.

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

I experienced one bright bulb bloke in the Post Office last week.

Parcel over the counter - customs dec filled - ' Numis Item '.

He looked at me and said ' Numis Item ' - I said Yep.

He asked if it was dangerous - I said - about as dangerous as a 50 cent piece.

Further dumb look - so asked him to step out from behind his counter - which he did - there was ony 1 other in there - having his mug shot taken.

Took him over to the wall - covered in PNC/FDC - ie : Philatelic Numismatic Covers - First Day Covers - then to the coin cabinet.

There you go - Philatelic = Stamps - Numismatic = Coins - terrorist stuff - he nodded then laughed.

We both did.

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply