DROP SHIPPING ethical?

Many people dont really know what it is, I and many other Sellers place stock orders and we quote same day delivery because we have it on our shelves. A customer places an order, we take it off the warehouse shelf, pack it and post it immediately.

Drop Shipping is:

1. Stock advertised as 3-6 business days delivery. (No Seller Stock on Hand).

2. When you place your order, the Seller places an order with his wholesaler. (No Cost to Seller).

3. The Wholesaler posts the goods straight to the Buyer. (No warehousing for Seller).

4. The Seller pockets the difference between wholesale and retail prices.

5. No Corporate ethics or responsibilities. With a usually lengthier delivery period.

No stock, no risk for the seller, no warehousing, no outlay of capital, just "free" money for the Seller.

Now, the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Comission) frowns on this practice and I am suggesting that eBay is an innocent 3rd party in this matter, now here is my question:

Would you rather buy from someone in Australia that has the stock on their shelves or would you prefer a Drop Shipper?

D.K.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

@locall1961 wrote:
Thats good to know tippytoe but I dont understand why they are not honest and upfront. I dont mind anyone using dropshipping, I would just like to know where my item is actually coming from so if I am in a hurry for something, I know then to locate someone close to home and I shouldnt have to delve deep to find out

A few years ago I was looking for a large number of plastic DVD/CD sleeves.  Most of them were from China so I was quite prepared to wait some time for them to arrive.

The main criteria was that they had to be cheap....and I was expecting to get exactly what I paid for...cheap.

I found some that were supposedly in Sydney but going by price (they accepted a best offer) and the wording of the listing I was quite sure they would take weeks to arrive from China.

I nearly fell over when they arrived via Australia Post less than 18 hours after being paid for.   And they were absolutely top quality too....I would have happily paid a lot more if I had walked into a shop to purchase.

Needless to say that seller has had quite a bit of return business from me as well as several other sales from family and friends.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

@locall1961 wrote:
Thats good to know tippytoe but I dont understand why they are not honest and upfront. I dont mind anyone using dropshipping, I would just like to know where my item is actually coming from so if I am in a hurry for something, I know then to locate someone close to home and I shouldnt have to delve deep to find out

Because they want your business and they'll do anything to get it.  They're like a lot of sellers - too short-sighted to see that repeat buyers are worth a little extra effort (and honesty).

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I think drop shipping is reprehensible and I definitely prefer to purchase from an Aussie seller who actually has stock on the shelves. 

I'm sick of being conned by dishonest foreign sleeze-bags with some kind of an 'agent' living in Australia - where - only AFTER I've committed to buy - I THEN discover that what I purchased is being drop shipped.

What else is one to think when one receives a confirmation email that says, "... I’ll get the order off to my master and shop packer right away, and let you know as soon as it’s been completed and shipped. .." (emphasis mine).

Excuse me?  "My master"???

Slimy. Sleezy. Dishonest. I don't care what the ACCC says.

Let me pose this question: how many of these dropshipping 'drop kicks' are profiteering from slave/child labor?

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

Would you rather buy from someone in Australia that has the stock on their shelves or would you prefer a Drop Shipper?

D.K.

I would rather buy from the seller who offers me the better deal, To me it makes no difference and I see us all in the same boat working hard to to try to build a small business up we just have different business models.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I would rather buy Australian, period.

(Loathe drop shipping, too many potential problems for all concerned)

Drop shippers can still be Australian to me I see no difference if a person buys the product first or use drop shipping from the same supplier it is the same product from the same seller.

I agree drop shipping is not for me but for them Aussies out there doing it I say good on them and good luck I hope it goes well.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

what didnt you like abot drop shipping if you dont mind me asking

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I very much doubt the person you are addressing is likely to answer after FOUR YEARS.

I can give you my thoughts.

You are at the mercy of your supplier, but are wholly responsible for any issues.

In this day and age, the supplier is likely to be selling the same stuff online, at the same price you pay them.

There's a couple of ideas to mull on for the next 4 years.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

That was 4 YEARS AGO.

I doubt you'll get an answer.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply