Dear Ebay- What is a seller worth really?

Dear Ebay- 33%   of my last sale  for a whole $10. You do have to be joking by thinking adding in the cost of postage to your site will keep small sellers like myself  bothering to write decent ads, maintain a good standard for your site in honesty in listings, honesty in  everything really.

Item sold for $10-  it is a book I no longer really require, it has a worth to someone out there, the postage cost in 3kilo bag from Australia post was 13.40.

I added $1  to cover bubble  wrap, selotape and 10 days of time waiting for my listing to end...

Not much sells- but I use the FREE listings, only.

Ebay - fees are sitting at 2.42 - just for that one item, paypal then took 89c  of the 24.40 deposit into paypal,  lets imagine I withdraw that from paypal to pay for the bag at the PO  - then I will lose $1.50 for withdraw a sum less than $150...

I am scratching my head as to why I even bother,  and you have the hide to still list me as a power seller....

Us little people are worth nothing to you it seems, and I cannot imagine what you are taking in fees from bigger sellers.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Sorry- listed as a Top rated Seller I am...  no wonder what I give to ebay LOL

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Perhaps minor consolation, but it won't cost you any money to withdraw the funds from PayPal - they abolished the $1.50 fee a few years ago.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Well that is good news then 🙂 I will take it out and not buy things off ebay anymore 😛

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

thankyou so much for your information about pay pal abolishing the fee to withdraw funds,regards kath

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

That was years ago.

One could question the commitment of alleged powersellers who don't even know what happened regarding their money years ago.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Ebay is a definately a bit of a numbers game. I have a private selling account that I only use the 40 free monthly auctions, plus the occasional 100 freebies when ebay does a promotion ( and helpfull forum users provide the link ) . I make sure I use all of the freebies and it is suprising how many items can sell in a month. Many of the things I sell on this account are under $10.00 and many still have to go in 3 kg. satchels. I basically just try to churn them over as quickly as possible. Several photos, brief but accurate descriptions. etc. It still pays quite nicely, so long as you dont spend too much time on listings and have efficient packing systems. If you are just selling the odd item now and again it would be pretty hard to make it worth while.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

I will probably be going down to selling lollypops soon as ebay fees are now too high on expensive items.

Someone yesterday offered me $350 for an item listed for $450. I told the guy ebay/paypal will charge me $60 in commisions on item price and postage, so go figure. The person never came back, no wonder. 

Every day I wake up with a resolve to setup an alternative venue. And I am pretty sure that ebay latest price hikes are a blessing in disguise for serious competitor market place to emerge.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

@paulsurf88 wrote:

Dear Ebay- 33%   of my last sale  for a whole $10. You do have to be joking by thinking adding in the cost of postage to your site will keep small sellers like myself  bothering to write decent ads, maintain a good standard for your site in honesty in listings, honesty in  everything really.

Item sold for $10-  it is a book I no longer really require, it has a worth to someone out there, the postage cost in 3kilo bag from Australia post was 13.40.

I added $1  to cover bubble  wrap, selotape and 10 days of time waiting for my listing to end...

Not much sells- but I use the FREE listings, only.

Ebay - fees are sitting at 2.42 - just for that one item, paypal then took 89c  of the 24.40 deposit into paypal,  lets imagine I withdraw that from paypal to pay for the bag at the PO  - then I will lose $1.50 for withdraw a sum less than $150...

I am scratching my head as to why I even bother,  and you have the hide to still list me as a power seller....

Us little people are worth nothing to you it seems, and I cannot imagine what you are taking in fees from bigger sellers.

So you sold a book for $10, you charged $1 for handling, you used the most expensive option available to post.

$2.42 eBay fees and 89c Paypal fees and, hopefully, $13.40 AP fees. $16.71. Profit of $7.69 for something you don't want anymore. So 23.1% in fees. Not quite 33%.

For something you could have given to your local Op shop or chucked in the bin. Your waiting time on an auction is worth nothing, as there is no requirement to do anything until the item sells. $1 for bubblewrap and stickytape is allowable, but well over the cost of same, so you need to add the difference to your profit.

Unfortunately ebay use a rolling 12 months for determining PS status, and you obviously still qualify.

Btw - you could send the same book in a 3kg eBay satchel for $11.91 with better tracking, or maybe even in a B1 box for $7.15 + box ($1.75 in singles). Which would lower your buyer's costs and shave a couple of % off your fees. If I had the book I could have sold it for at least $1 less and made more profit, so your issues seem to be self-inflicted.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

@asporty wrote:

I will probably be going down to selling lollypops soon as ebay fees are now too high on expensive items.

Someone yesterday offered me $350 for an item listed for $450. I told the guy ebay/paypal will charge me $60 in commisions on item price and postage, so go figure. The person never came back, no wonder. 

Every day I wake up with a resolve to setup an alternative venue. And I am pretty sure that ebay latest price hikes are a blessing in disguise for serious competitor market place to emerge.

9.9% of $350 = $34.65. Paypal fees on $350 = $9.10. And that's assuming the item wasn't listed in your store, when the fees would be less.

Whatever postage FVF is on top of $43.75 is no more than 9.9%. So postage is $170?

No wonder they never came back.

The DIFFERENCE is the important thing. And the only difference betyween $450 and $350 is, at most, $9.90 less on FVF and $2.40 on Paypal. $12.30, not $60.

It pays to know how the numbers work before you post on the boards.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply