Delivery versus Posting date

When, oh when will those ebay employees, those 'intellectual giants responsible for awarding defects for 'late shipping' work out the very simple distinction between shipping and delivery.

I was recently given two defects for late delivery despite the fact that the tracking info clearly showed I had posted the items within the 2 working days I undertake to post in.

The fault of course lay with Aust post who took 9 rather than the estimated 3 - 4 days to deliver the items.

I laid special emphasis in my phone chat on the fact that sellers have control over posting time but absolutely no control over delivery time. The agent had no choice but to agree.

I was successful in having the defects removed, thanks to the most effective method of getting things done or fixed on ebay - ie I phoned.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Delivery versus Posting date

My understanding is that if you upload tracking and there is a tracking event within your handling time then there will be no defect.

Of course if there is no tracking event in the time (like if you post in a red box) and the delivery event is after AP's delivery estimate plus your handling time, then eBay will apply a defect.

They have no idea when you posted, only when you SAID you posted. Not necessarily the same thing.

The easy solution  is to post over the counter and get a lodgement scan.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Dave.... I understand this is true only if you use Aust Post as the carrier, as at this time they are the only carrier who have given ebay the connection to "see" into their tracking system automatically. In this case, if the tracking event is within your stated handling time then the buyer does not even see the question about when it was delivered and hence cannot give a NO answer.

For all other carriers tho the buyer will see the question and if they answer NO then the seller will need to call ebay and specifically demonstrate that there is a tracking event within their handling time so that the late delivery point can be removed.

But at this time its all pretty "mandraulic".

Unfortunately, if you use predominantly large letter with no tracking, as we do, then you are totally at the mercy of the buyer's answer and no late delivery point will ever be removed by ebay. So to combat this situation, we have set our handling time to 3-days and since the introduction of this system we have not suffered a single late delivery point.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Half my items go as large letter and my handling time is 3 days. I use eBay labels for parcels and always post within my handling time. Usually next day.

I haven't had any late delivery defects, even for letters posted to Perth. I can only suppose used books don't attract the same urgency as some other items.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Totally the same for me with clothing, both parcels and large letter.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If you have tracking that shows the parcel was on the way within your handling time call ebay and ask them to remove the defects.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Already done . . . successfully !

Its just disappointing to have to put right such basic errors !

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

In my experience, this is not the case. I always post over the counter with tracking, but have still been given defects when the parcel arrived after eBay's estimated delivery date. These type of defects will only be removed if the seller contacts eBay with relevant information.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply