Does Ebay or Paypal actually look into accounts that make a lot of Paypal claims?

I sold a DVD to a buyer that put in a paypal claim immediately on the day it didn't arrive.

The dvd was posted with standard post and I'm well aware thats the risk you take when sending without tracking. 

Anyway I have since refunded the buyer but I was just looking into their feedback and see a lot of item not recieved under positive in the 'feedback left for others'

Great seller , didn’t get item but gave me a refund x 3 in a row,

and then on another page 'Didn’t get my item but full refunded, all I can say is a Great Ebayer' x 8 in a row.

These feedbacks are all left for different sellers.. I mean can someone really be that unfortunate to have that many items in a row not be delivered?

Is there a limit on how many paypal claims you can make?  

Does ebay look into this sort of thing although its not flagged under negative feedback?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Does Ebay or Paypal actually look into accounts that make a lot of Paypal claims?

And of course it IS a postive transaction for the buyer if they got everything for free.
Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Does Ebay or Paypal actually look into accounts that make a lot of Paypal claims?

A good approach would be for the OP to report the matter to AP.

With that sort of delivery "issue" they may feel an investigation is worthwhile.

They will investigate issues of frequently missing postal items as stealing mail is a serious criminal matter.

(relates to identity theft as quite a bit of mail can be used towards 100 ID points)

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Grubs! They walk among us. There’s some grub buyers and grub sellers. This is indicative of my husband in polite company, but it can get much worse.

Wouldn’t it be soooo good to be able to segregate them all to a site called ‘Grubay’ and let them cause carnage amongst themselves? I’m ‘dreamin’ of course, but t’would be nice to have our own Bonneydoon away from these ‘stains.’ Another favoured polite company descriptor from HM.

Everyone is fair game these days, everyone. And it all seems to unfold with such pride. Honestly, we used to be so much better. That buyer knows his way around. No doubt. And unless eBay introduce a Lobotomy Policy for the likes of him and his ilk he’ll keep on ‘enjoying the pride’ at someone else’s expense and hard labour. He’s another who needs a visitation of angry fire ants in his nether regions.

Oh well, back to the grindstone - put a few more listings up for the scammers to reconnoiter.

Melina.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@tomcollins3 wrote:

I sold a DVD to a buyer that put in a paypal claim immediately on the day it didn't arrive.

The dvd was posted with standard post and I'm well aware thats the risk you take when sending without tracking. 

Anyway I have since refunded the buyer but I was just looking into their feedback and see a lot of item not recieved under positive in the 'feedback left for others'

Great seller , didn’t get item but gave me a refund x 3 in a row,

and then on another page 'Didn’t get my item but full refunded, all I can say is a Great Ebayer' x 8 in a row.

These feedbacks are all left for different sellers.. I mean can someone really be that unfortunate to have that many items in a row not be delivered?

Is there a limit on how many paypal claims you can make?  

Does ebay look into this sort of thing although its not flagged under negative feedback?

I think the buyer has had enough 'unlucky purchases' to make us suspicious there is some scamming going on now & then. Obviously not every time, but sometimes and an untracked item... perfect opportunity.

The answer to your question about Aust post and can a buyer be that unlucky.. the answer is no, they can't. Aust post is very reliable. Maybe a day or so slow at times, but extremely reliable. That's why the buyer put a claim in at the first opportunity. I suspect they are telling the truth as they see it-item not arrived. But I bet it will arrive. They just want the refund before it does, so they can salve their conscience somewhat as they see it as a payback for their item being late.

The feedback is not a false neg as such because if a seller does the right thing by you when things genuinely do go wrong, it does deserve positive feedback. but like others, i am surprised the buyer would put up feedback like this, all in a row. Better to have said nothing.

I doubt ebay 'looks' at feedback as such, especially positive feedback, unless someone directs them to  a problem.

Is there a limit to how many paypal claims a person can make?  I don't know but I imagine there would be flags raised & perhaps questions asked if too many claims were made in a short period. I am with RACV & I know they have a policy of only so many claims a year, and that's for something that doesn't carry the possibility of scamming, though it could sometimes involve what the company would see as unnecessary calls eg call outs day after day for the same problem, which should be fixed.

If they have a policy like that, I suspect paypal would also have some way of flagging excess claims & warning people.

But perhaps not all their refunds came from paypal claims? From this transaction, that would seem their preferred mode as they didn't contact the seller at all before launching a claim. However, we don't know that that has always been the case. They may have started out contacting sellers & been refunded but may have struck a few sellers who dug their heels in or asked them to wait etc or who refused to refund till a paypal claim was made, which may have convinced the buyer the quickest way is now to go directly to paypal. So we don't actually know how many claims they have made that way.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply