Does anyone know what this is?

pnc75
Community Member

It's about 18 cm long, both ends screw off and has three round plastic circles on it.

TIA

Message 1 of 140
Latest reply
139 REPLIES 139

Well if it ain't antique then why can't anyone say what it is lol?

I've never seen anything like it in my life and I'm antique haha

Message 121 of 140
Latest reply

If you look at the ends of the thread on the bulbous ends, you can see they're kinda jagged* - that's what made me relatively convinced it's a chrome plated item (stainless steel wouldn't usually be finished like that) and it's common for plated items to have that sort of thing on unexposed sections. 

I think it's relatively modern, as again an antique would probably have been finished a little better even if the bits weren't visible, and agree with those who suggest bathroom fixture, due to my assumption of chrome plating and that being very common for bathroom items- my roll holder, shower curtain rod and hand towel rack, all chrome plated. (of course, many kitchen items are chrome plated as well, anything that is likely to come into contact with water / moisture, really). 

*unless it's a trick of light or something else that just makes the ends look a little jagged in the images. 

Message 122 of 140
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

If you look at the ends of the thread on the bulbous ends, you can see they're kinda jagged* - that's what made me relatively convinced it's a chrome plated item (stainless steel wouldn't usually be finished like that) and it's common for plated items to have that sort of thing on unexposed sections. 

I think it's relatively modern, as again an antique would probably have been finished a little better even if the bits weren't visible, and agree with those who suggest bathroom fixture, due to my assumption of chrome plating and that being very common for bathroom items- my roll holder, shower curtain rod and hand towel rack, all chrome plated. (of course, many kitchen items are chrome plated as well, anything that is likely to come into contact with water / moisture, really). 

Which would make it plausible for a toilet roll holder,(there would be two bits come out from the wall that have circular ends that this

bar would fit in to)
The bar would be unscrewed and the screw bit would be attached from the outside with the bar on the inside.
Two of the circles would be pushed out to one each end to stop the roll catching and the middle circle would stay in place so that the

roll is easier to pull.
Or it could be similar with wooden bits that come out from the wall.
A toilet roll is 10 cm wide.

Message 123 of 140
Latest reply

Way to complicated for a toilet roll holder as I said before and more of a face washer holder but only part of one.

Message 124 of 140
Latest reply

I reckon it's a tube with screw-in endpieces.

Message 125 of 140
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I reckon it's a tube with screw-in endpieces.

ta da.gif

And there ya have it.   

Message 126 of 140
Latest reply

race-men-running-relay-36996566.jpgand there ya have it........well not quite.......

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 127 of 140
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

Way to complicated for a toilet roll holder as I said before and more of a face washer holder but only part of one.

What about one of these.

T roll holer.png

Message 128 of 140
Latest reply

Yes, I have been thinking that a toilet roll holder may be the right answer to this ongoing mystery.

Message 129 of 140
Latest reply

Ok might be a long shot but I'm thinking it's a chrome pub beer tap handle of sorts?

Message 130 of 140
Latest reply