Dontcha just love paypal?

Found the below advertisment on my home page this morning. Reading between the lines, I believe that I can just make indiscriminate purchases, until July - and if I don't like what I've thoughtlessly bought, I can get 100% of my outlay back.

Yes, it's only up to 4 items, but multiply 4 by at least  2,000,000 buyers worldwide - that's going to be a lot of claims!

Yes, I know there's also the MBG, but this ad just drives home the fact that buyers need exercise no caution at all with their buying habits! And drives home the point that as sellers, we're all incompetent - or dodgy!

1661779_688276686813017033.jpg

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Dontcha just love paypal?

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Which is why, I suggest, for the duration, any seller adopt a no refunds for change of mind policy if it is of concern.

I think we're on slightly different wavelengths, as it's not the issue of people returning items that concerns me, I am happy for people to return things if they're not suitable or they just don't like it afterall, and wouldn't want to take that away from my cusomers over a temporary offer by PayPal. It's the broader, more long term (and at this point in time, purely theoretical / potential) repurcussions of reduced responsibility in general - one thing I take exception to in many and varied circumstances, and which wouldn't be mitigated by a temporary change of my own policies (not trying to argue or anything, just that I don't seem able to convey well enough exactly what concerns me about this). 

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

No.

I understand what you are thinking. My answers are for you and others who might read this thread, and are an option to remove worry. I cannot agree though that this campaign will encourage a thinking of reduced responsibility.

when the current buying climate outside of here, is already a platform for most buyers to think in those terms if they wish to do so.

all I see, is a way to encourage buyers to shop here rather than at a competitor who offers peace of mind, already.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

I cannot agree though that this campaign will encourage a thinking of reduced responsibility.

when the current buying climate outside of here, is already a platform for most buyers to think in those terms if they wish to do so.

all I see, is a way to encourage buyers to shop here rather than at a competitor who offers peace of mind, already.

Maybe not encourage, but it supports it by reducing burden of risk, as many other things over time have done -  it's not one seller, one campaign, one rule that does it. 

I actually see the point that other platforms and businesses already provide this option in support of your POV as ultimately in support of mine, because it's part of the "that's what people want nowadays, and they'll go where they get it" kind of thing, which is exactly what I have a problem with. It is obviously just my personal opinion, and the tide may be against me in the long run, but there are some things I just don't think should become "the norm".

That is, I would have a problem if it becomes a general consumer expectation, so I take issue with this campaign because it potentially contributes to that (again potential) eventuality. 

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

I agree that if something is common, it doesn't mean it's the right way, by default. But I hope that this encourages buyers to think about stopping here to shop, rather than them seeing it as a way to abuse a courtesy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Misleading promo - where the devil of the detail is in the fine print.  Ad does not meet basic consumer requirements as far as I can see.  I will be reporting. 

Any poster who thinks this OK, also just demonstrates the power of advertising and are sucked in to thinking that it is OK for a large global company to advertise on the internet without putting KEY INFORMATION ABOUT THE OFFIER WITHIN THE LARGE PRINT (= The ad you see without having to click further)

Unacceptable, misleading, conditional carp that turns buyers off eBay and paypal  AND makes sellers "relationship management" more difficult IMO having to explain eBay and Paypal systems, intent, conditions, promos, offers, emails etc etc gets tiresome, ya know

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

The ad I have seen, tells you that it is a limited offer, by date, amount and number of claims, upfront. It also has a link to the general conditions of use.

do you disagree with the promotion offer, itself, or just the advert?

would be interesting to have a few more sellers viewpoints.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

Maybe have a look at the consumer laws more closely.

fine print terms and conditions do not protect Oz business sellers - B&M or internet - from prosecution.

You are accountable as an Oz business for what you put in your advertisement headlines - YOU CANNOT PUT ONE THING IN HEADLINE AND THEN BACK OFF IN TERMS AND CONDITIONS that are not included in prominent position in advertisement - THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR OFFER MUST BE CONGRUENT - paypals is very, very misleading as it misrepresents some terms and conditions that offer applies to, and these should be clear and upfront.

"eligible" purchases - may mean 5,000 different things to different consumers.  Unclear and misleading

Unlike you, I don't really care what other sellers think personally as my response is as made as a Oz consumer. 

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

I care what both buyers and sellers think...out of courtesy, and interest, was also interested in your viewpoint. Thanks for giving it.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply