EBAY JUST DON'T HAVE THE CUSTOMER BASE

I have been looking at various blogs AND here in the ebay community, assuming that there is in fact an ebay community (lol).

We sell on 5 selling platforms and have found that our ebay sales are hugely depleted with the other 4 platforms performing very well.

Our prices are the same in all 5 platforms (including ebay), so ebay has to be the problem.

Before we totally can ebay, I thought I might first put this out there.

Cheers

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Interesting link.

One issue discussed on there was the relevancy of what comes up in search results.

I have to say, ebay is much better than Amazon with this. I have had the frustrating experience on Amazon of typing in an exact & distinctive book title, only to have it come up with books that had virtually nothing in common with my search.

At least I have never had that happen on ebay.

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I agree - my sales on other platforms far outstrip anything here on Ebay.

My last sale was the 23rd of Feb, which is pathetic.

I don't know if it's about the customer base, or the algorithms, or what it is, but for me the change started after the requirement for item specifics back in 2020. 

Personally I continue to stay here as it doesn't cost me anything, but I now concentrate my efforts on other platforms as well as my own website.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Maybe its because of the long delivery estimates?

- Either you don't have the item in stock.
- You have too many items for sale.
- Or you manage your time poorly

Best delivery estimate I can get from your store is 5th of April. Its probably a combination of high INR requests and / or your long processing time of 10 business days which is really excessive.

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

I disagree with you Jellybird, You sell niche products.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Thanks for your response.

We publish the same delivery timeframes on all 5 platforms and have chosen these timeframes having regard for very slow Aus Post and Courier timelines.

We have had the same delivery timeframes for nearly 3 years on all 5 platforms and ebay is down 80% while the other 4 platforms are selling double and even three times what they were selling 3 years ago ... all have continuously had identical listings and prices.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Completely disagree sorry. 10 business days is too much. If you upload valid tracking on time all it has to be is courier pickup or post office scan you will not be hurt regarding negative feedback or INR cases.

Most delivery estimates (floods aside) area pretty much back to almost normal.

You should not be using the same processing time as your other sites, this will push your listings lower. Again 10 business days are excessive.

"We have had the same delivery timeframes for nearly 3 years on all 5 platforms and ebay is down 80% while the other 4 platforms are selling double and even three times what they were selling 3 years ago"

Again that was 3 years ago when processing time did not matter.

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

I have been a long time supporter of ebay on the forums despite its very obvious flaws, but I have to say at the moment all of the statistics are not looking good for the company.

Some of the recent falls in active buyer numbers and merchandise volumes may be due to COVID anomalies, but even if this is contributing, eBay should be aiming to hang onto any gains made during COVID. Other companies seem to be managing to do this.

I suspect eBay is also changing the algorythms in favor of new, generic  items as opposed to single, one off, used items in an attempt to move the platform more to the new, cheap Chinese carp, $2.00 shop model and away from the used and collectible items. ( unless its bogan sports cards or Nike trainers. )

All up the future is not looking bright for my items on ebay and I have already started to pivot away from ebay dependancy to other income streams.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

"I suspect eBay are also changing the algorythms in favor of new items as opposed to single, one off, used items in an attempt to move the platform more to the new, cheap Chinese carp, $2.00 shop model and away from the used and collectible items. ( unless its bogan sports cards or Nike trainers. )"

Completely disagree, matters on your performace, I've sold/selling everything on here. 2nd hand goods are only less because marketplace is more common now and easier and feeless

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Wise move chameleon54, we run the 5 platforms identically and all I can say is "Thank Heavens" we have backed 5 horses because we would be "gone" if we had relied on ebay. 

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

I disagree with you Jellybird, You sell niche products.

@danieh - well then how do you explain my massive difference in sales between Ebay and other platforms? I have the same handling time and in fact my items are MORE expensive other sites than on Ebay (up to 30% more). I am up 88% alone this year elsewhere, whereas on Ebay I am down 60% from last year, which in turn was down 40% from the year before.

My shop was trending upwards every single year since 2014, including into the pandemic, literally until I did the item specifics in Nov 2020. I have a spreadsheet which I can refer to my year on year figures and I can see it in front of my eyes what happened.

I'm totally with the OP on this one.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply