EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

We have operated a small homewares store on eBay for 6 years and found sales in the last few months to be the slowest for a long time. Perhaps we need to update what we sell, but my gut feel is that the marketplace is in some sort of slump. Just a year ago we were doing a lot better. Would be interested to see if anyone feels the same? Perhaps some buyers are drifting to other outlets including facebook to make purchases? Any thoughts..?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

... and we found last night that we can add in a direct link to our Facebook page so that all our items listed on our web site automatically appear on our Facebook page.

So now buyers can shop directly on our Facebook page without ever having to leave Facebook.

The Facebook products automatically update if/when we make changes/alterations to our web site listings.

So we only need to manage the products on the web site.

On the next higher plan from our web site host we will be able to have the same functionality to ebay listings as well. But need a few more monthly sales yet before we can justify the upgrade monthly expense.

Very Cool!

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Once the big department stores finally take over Ebay they will collectevly shut it dow, this is there agenda. We were taking sales away from them and how dare we do that, ebay no longer want smaller to medium sellers that's why they make it as hard as possable and it will get even harder,ahhh isnt capitalism a wonderfull thing...........

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Devastating. I have not seen it this bad in a very long time. Traffic has dropped by about 80 to 90% items not showing up under key words in search results or show up in related items. Other countries such as china seem to be domanationg many of my categories and they sell fake stones. My sales range for the year I am down about 60% and appears it the decline will continue... 

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

My, what a lot of negativity! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Yes, eBay international sellers and the big companies are taking some of our sales. But maybe it's because buyers can get a better price, a better product, or better service from them.
Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Too easy to do=Too many listings

More online buying alternatives=dilutes buyers

Constant changing platform=confuses casual buyers,  they go elsewhere

Changes put sellers offside, this rubs off on buyers as Ebay gets bad rap=less buyers

Economic climate and more competitive B & M sales=less need to go online for a bargain.

You can fiddle your format and search returns to obtain a swap for an upper deck cabin on a sinking ship, but if Ebay goes down everyone eventually goes with it. The big question is will Ebay find a new longer term niche before that happens, or will it move aside and have some other platform step in and take over its traditional market?. Who knows

The reality is small sellers want to sell and buyers are happy to buy off them. Online buying patterns are going through many changes and nothing stays the same forever, and all anyone can do at this stage is make best guesses as to where to jump or where to stay

Staying afloa,t and staying alert to trends is probably the key at the moment. 

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not just ebay that is slow and a few sellers saying they are doing well is great but

what are they selling and what do they see as doing well ?

We operate several web sites off ebay that, until recently, made eBay look like it was

standing still. Even they have gone quiet.

A sellers can blow a horn about tripling sales but was maybe only selling 3 low priced
items a week anyway.

We are going through an economic knee jerk reaction. The money is out there but

those that have the disposable income think that not spending is the best idea.

A few bad days on the stock exchange and a possible Greek default has most fearing

an economic domino effect.

The sky is not falling but, with a little help from those who continue to send the contents of

Australia's piggy bank overseas, it eventually will.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Actually, July 2015 was my best month ever (in 10 years) on eBay. August was sluggish, and so far September has been too, but I haven't updated since mid July so we'll see what happens when I update with new items in a week's time ๐Ÿ™‚

If I made my July sales ever month, I'd be able to quit my day job!

I sell imported giftware and stationery.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they are high profit lines. At least a reasonable amount will become Australian.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

Woeful,to say the least. At least now I know I'm no the only one with slow sales. It may be an economic thing...the town I live in, the shops are having sales virtually all the time. Especially the small family run shops. The bigger shops..Big W, K Mart , seem to just trundle along ok.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

EBAY SALES ARE SLOW??

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not just ebay that is slow and a few sellers saying they are doing well is great but

what are they selling and what do they see as doing well ?

We operate several web sites off ebay that, until recently, made eBay look like it was

standing still. Even they have gone quiet.

A sellers can blow a horn about tripling sales but was maybe only selling 3 low priced
items a week anyway.

We are going through an economic knee jerk reaction. The money is out there but

those that have the disposable income think that not spending is the best idea.

A few bad days on the stock exchange and a possible Greek default has most fearing

an economic domino effect.

The sky is not falling but, with a little help from those who continue to send the contents of

Australia's piggy bank overseas, it eventually will.

My sales are up and down ( as per usual ) but the last two weeks have been well above long term average. My prices are under presure and I have dropped them by around 10% over the last six months, but this was from very high levels.

I wouldnt say I,m " doing well " or "tripling sales" as you put it, but are managing to hold sales income at long term averages. In the current climate, that is probably "doing well ".  Sales numbers are increasing slightly and are a few more than "three low priced items per week". Selling on ebay isnt a walk in the park, but there are still buyers and even occasional animated bidding at auction for the rarer collectables. 

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply