EBay final selling fees are way TOO HIGH

Like a lot of people know eBay selling fees are way over the top and when they also take money from the postage cost that just outright extortion. I sell something for $300 with free postage as I ad postage cost into the price

to make it easier ( when you have a separate postage price eBay still take from postage anyway) and by the time eBay take the cut and I pay postage say of $40 for a larger item I’m lucky to get $200. I wouldn’t mind if  they were only charging a 5% to say 7% max but 15.9% is purely and joke. My question is there any other place to sell car parts not gumtree it’s full of scammers and Facebook people want everything for next to nothing. Someone who has time and money needs to start up another selling platform and wipe eBay off the map or at least make them think twice on their final fees.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You can try traditional auctioneers, but it will be more expensive.

5 - 7  %  let us know if you ever find anything close to that.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You have identified 2 places not to go,  and yes they are free, and full of scammers and no showers.   Now you understand why Ebay have to charge fee's they give you what free sites don't.  You pay for what you get.

The sad thing is people don't understand the cost of running the Ebay infrastructure,  and all that goes with it.   

Why don't you start the alternate?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

You've hit on the reasons why ebay charges what it does. You get a wide audience and you get hands free operation. I don't see it mentioned here a lot as one of the downsides of facebook, but what I have found the biggest pain is people message at any time and expect an answer within minutes. Then there is a lot of back and forth to arrange pick up times etc.

With ebay, a sale and payment can go through automatically and all you need to do is look in daily to see when you need to post or whatever.

I found that advertising in papers didn't work either. If you think ebay is expensive, papers are exorbitant and not as many people read them now or advertise in them anyway.

If you really wish to give ebay a miss, I'd suggest sticking with marketplace or else finding a dedicated facebook page for car enthusiasts or car parts. If you don't want to haggle, write firm in your price. You do get some time wasters but there are also some good buyers on there.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I was stupid enough not to check the selling fee.  Last time I sold was about some years ago and I thought it'd be like 5-6%. 

I just a Macbook $2250 and Ebay took as much as $300 from it.  What a joke. 

In fact I was able to sell at higher price in Gumtree and I could save my time and effort to pack and drop a sendle zone.  NO MORE SELLING IN EBAY. PERIOD. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I agree with your first sentence.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

You have two items still listings

The OP here isn't denying they 'didn't know' the fees involved

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Gumtree or Facebook are alternatives that work for some people, with some items, under certain conditions, taking due precautions.

There are prolific examples of its going very wrong indeed in particular cases.

If you’re able to sell safely and without drama on those sites, that’s probably the best way for you.

But… 5-6%? To my knowledge, it’s been 22 years or so since eBay.com (eBay US) charged a 5.25% final value fee, in addition to (I think) a 25¢ insertion fee for each item. Those insertion fees are largely a thing of the past inasmuch as sellers have generous free item listings.

That’s not even taking into account different incentives and pricing structures on different eBay sites. Australia has not had the same fees and T&Cs as the US eBay, for instance. Let’s not even consider eBay.cn !!!

I don’t think there are any major online EDPs (Electronic Distribution Platforms - note to self: must add to abbreviation list) that offer anywhere near 6% fees nowadays. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@hwang_edward wrote:

I was stupid enough not to check the selling fee.  . 

I guess you said it.

Just before you hit the list it now, there is a link to the final selling fee's, why didnt you click on that.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply