EBay needs to wake up to itself re 0 rating members ie potential scammers

Hi I am probably the 1000 000 person who has had this issue...

0 customer rating scammer ...

Bid on something it sold to them, they are not going to pay...

I sold a bike - local pick up only...

The person is in USA, 0 purchases/sales since 2016

Address of buyer is REMOVED

to that effect.

Called EBAY

Any smart person would see that is a scammer - I have to wait 4 days to open a case of unpaid item.

Where is the management - excutive decisions...

"Sorry sir - I can see this is a scammer - let me put you through to management,

Good Morning sir, sorry about the inconvience I believe this is scam having looked at the facts - I have cleared that sale and banned that account, you can list the item again as soon as you want to. Have a great day, thank you for using Ebay" (They want me to rite their call centre scripts for them 🙂

Scammers cannot be on the streets any more, too many cameras now, this is the new method.

I am not sure what they hoped to gain from this, other than annoy... Would they have got my email or phone number etc to sell to another scammer...

I can only set -1 for rating to not buy, I have now set to excluded purchasers for area you dont send to(? is that correct), I would have assumed that if it was local pick up, you could not buy it overseas...?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I'm thick & confused...where is the scam?

"I would have assumed that if it was local pick up, you could not buy it overseas...?"

Not if you don't have your exclusions in place...that's obvious.

Buyer may have a friend pick up...idk...I have done so & others have for me.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

HUH?

Ebayer has not bought or sold anything in 3 years,

normally people join because they want to buy something they saw on ebay - generally - this person... 3 years nothing,

There address is some wierd place in another country not in US.

It is a local pick up only ? On the odd time yo might buy something for someone to pick up - but you would have contacted the

seller and mentioned that I am sure? "In case you are wondering I am not picking it up if you want ID"

Did I mention that they have not paid or tried to contact in 3 days...

Is this is all normal behaviour?

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

You've obviously struck a trouble maker or a numpty for sure. Someone who bids and has no intention of paying or picking up. Even the address looks suss to me.

They are not exactly a scammer as they aren't cheating you out of money or trying any tricky little scam like swapping broken items for good and then claiming a free return and refund. But all the same, most annoying for you.

All you can do is carry through with your non payment claim. And make sure you do carry through, so you get your fees back.

perhaps limit your selling areas. We once assumed that ' sells to Australia only' or words to that effect, meant no one elsewhere could bid till like you, we discovered that someone overseas could indeed bid. So we had to go in and limit our bidders to Australia only.

You're not the only person who gets this issue but I am guessing ebay thinks they have it covered in that you can just go through the unpaid item process for your fees back and if you don't, guess what. Ebay gets to keep the fees. That's not exactly a motivation for them to change the system.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

"Ebayer has not bought or sold anything in 3 years,"

Not unusual.

"normally people join because they want to buy something they saw on ebay "

Some do...some don't.

"Did I mention that they have not paid or tried to contact in 3 days..."

Nope...you did say they are not going to pay so I presumed they told you this.

"Is this is all normal behaviour?"

Well it's not what I would do but it may be normal for others.

Btw I had your ladies bike on my watch list for a while...was going to have my brother collect...I am 8 hours from you.

Naturally I would have contacted you first...found one closer to home...although your's looked great.

With all that said I still don't see the scam.

Non payers & odd behaviour are all part of on line trading...file the UPI & move on...well that's what I would do.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I looked at address - it does look real...

Spanish speaking country and I wrote in English...?

Unless some real idiot who does not know what he is doing, a scammer or a teenager in the basement having fun.

Is there a way that only sells in country you are in - I know you can set no postage - but does that exclude listing on overseas Ebay

sites?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

"

Btw I had your ladies bike on my watch list for a while...was going to have my brother collect...I am 8 hours from you.

Naturally I would have contacted you first...found one closer to home...although your's looked great."

You should have - Best deal on ebay last week 🙂

I will move - I was hoping to make space and now bike is still around, annoying...

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

"Is there a way that only sells in country you are in -"

My eBay > account > site >preferences > postage.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

You need to go into your settings and tick off all the countries you don't wish to sell to as only giving options for postage within Australia does not stop people in other countries buying

I agree with you that this looks like a time wasting ninny 'having fun' unfortunately, eBay don't give a stuff about sellers,regardless of how dodgey the buyer is

I had an issue with a right basket a few years back and the eBay rep's exact words to me was "buyers don't lie"

Enough said really 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

No, setting $0 postage does not stop overseas buyers.

You actually have to set the areas you will not post to.....many members will sell to the USA, UK, Canada etc but not countries which have a high likelihood of having postal problems.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply