Ebay Postage

HI there, I have just printed out my first ebay label. Are they supposed to be an entire a4 sheet or have a made a mistake. I don't want to print anymore if it is wrong. ThanksSmiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Ebay Postage

GST might be included but I don't see how a seller would be able to claim it back without a receipt with an ABN from a gst paying entity.

Has anyone actually used this service yet? Would love to see the format of the bill/receipt generated by ebay.

It looks to me that it will only be useful for casual non-gst registered sellers,  unless Australia Post include a separate receipt???

You'd think that the gst element would be a basic accounting question considered early in the process of setting this up, but I guess this is ebay.  Australia Post should know better, though.

I sell on international bookselling sites where the site collects the customer's money, takes their fee, and then remits the remainder to me. I still have to pay gst on domestic sales through them, even though I can't claim gst back on the fees.  I fulfill gst requirements by sending domestic customers a separate invoice with the book, which details the gst.  I'm guessing Australia Post and ebay are in exactly the same situation, so Australia Post should be sending out the tax invoice.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

If the price is going to be $6.95 for under 500g parcels for ebay post and the AP price remains $6.95 - theres no way I am sending anymore of my dosh to Switzerland, I will choose to keep them in Oz even though it is a ton of extra paperwork.

(...even taking into account that AP drives me nuts crazyeyes-smiley-face.gif)

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

Well, I got a reply to my second query about getting a gst/tax invoice for postage paid via ebay.

Thanks for contacting eBay about GST.

At this point, we do not charge or incorporate GST on our eBay fees, as for buying items on eBay or Au post shipping charges, it would be best to ask Au post or the seller about it.

For more information about GST you can click on the link below:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/seller-gst.html

So, I guess it's up to Australia Post to say whether they will be supplying gst/tax invoices for postage bought via ebay. I'm pretty sure that a buyer of a service including gst is legally entitled to a gst invoice if they ask for one.  Maybe someone from Australia Post could comment on how this is going to work???

Or should I reply to the email again and ask what sort of receipt ebay will be supplying for postage paid for via ebay...?

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

According to the Terms and Conditions on the Aus Post site, eBay will issue the Invoice and will include GST where applicable. I don't know how that will work if eBay doesn't collect GST.

6. Payment

6.1 The Customer will be invoiced by eBay for Delivery Services charges, as specified by eBay through the eBay Label Printing Service.

6.2 Charges for the Delivery Services may be varied at any time at Australia Post's discretion. Charges are GST inclusive where GST is applicable.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/terms-and-conditions-ebay-label-printing.html

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

I'll stick with paying C&S for the service. After all, I've been paid for postage at postage time. And C&S is easy to navigate and doesn't leave me with a debt

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

@sportandplay wrote:

According to the Terms and Conditions on the Aus Post site, eBay will issue the Invoice and will include GST where applicable. I don't know how that will work if eBay doesn't collect GST.

6. Payment

6.1 The Customer will be invoiced by eBay for Delivery Services charges, as specified by eBay through the eBay Label Printing Service.

6.2 Charges for the Delivery Services may be varied at any time at Australia Post's discretion. Charges are GST inclusive where GST is applicable.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/terms-and-conditions-ebay-label-printing.html

Thanks for the information and link. I've emailed back just one more time.... Maybe Australia Post could comment on this thread, they're normally quite quick to supply information on Australia Post related threads?

Given that ebay isn't GST registered, it seems to me that Australia Post should be obliged to supply a tax invoice to anyone who asks... (But I am not an accountant).

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Final reply from ebay

I understand that you want to get a GST receipt from eBay however we do not generate this on the site.

Thanks for choosing eBay.

Australia Post next, or the ATO???

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

OK, just spoke to the ATO.

Basically, the gst is being paid by Australia Post as per nomral, but because ebay aren't gst registered they count as the "end user" and the gst can't be claimed back.

So, if you're gst registered don't use ebay postage, if you're not gst registered  it doesn't matter.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

From the new FAQs page for the postage labels

21. Can I access a tax invoice for my postage labels?

Tax invoices are made available five days after labels are printed (once the option to cancel has expired).You can access your tax invoice through the Manage postage labels tab under My eBay. If a request to cancel a label has been submitted you will only receive a tax invoice for that label if the request is denied, a tax invoice will not be issued for successfully cancelled labels.

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/ebay-for-business/postage-labels

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks @sportandplay. Ebay now allows you to print a tax invoice for ebay postage items. The invoice provided has Auspost's ABN number and has itemised GST amount at the bottom. eg. "Total gst: $0.63"
That's good enough for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Only problem is you can only download GST invoices individually for each postage label. They really need a checkboxes on the left and an ability to download all invoices at the same time..

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply