Ebay accused of failing its sellers........

This article is about 7 months old and I don't know that much has changed?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/21/ebay-accused-failing-sellers-buyers-manipulate-system-...

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Ebay accused of failing its sellers........

As far as ebay are concerned, unless you are the buyer, you can go jump in the lake

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

The problem is, eBay doesn't really need to compete for sellers. Most sites worth selling on don't, because the majority of sellers will always follow buyers, not the other way around. Buyers will go wherever they can get what they need and/or want, how many other buyers or sellers are there, or how successful the site or business is, is 100% irrelevant to that choice, and these days they are spoilt for choice - sellers who need third-party sites with organic traffic, not so much. 

eBay's policies are designed to compete for buyers, and I suspect they have deemed (on behalf of themselves and sellers) that the rewards outweigh the risks. I believe their approach is that they would rather have 100 scamming buyers get their way, than risk one genuine buyer being let down by their seller or the MBG policies. It's a typically American approach to justice, in that sense. 

I don't support their approach, by the way, especially because they half-a$$ it on both sides, I'm just saying the underlying principle is understandable to me. I definitely think there are better and more fair ways many of these situations could be dealt with, and as it stands now, it doesn't even guarantee a buyer with a genuine problem will have that problem successfully resolved, which often defeats the purpose of their actions in the first place. What the site really needs is fewer algorithms and less automated decision making, and more staff trained in making impartial, fact and evidence based decisions.  Feels like a pipe dream at this point in time, though. Smiley Frustrated

I agree. The money comes from the buyer after all.

What ebay is lacking is a way to identify fraudulent buyers faster. I have a lot of buyers with very high number of red in their Feedbacks Left for Others screen. There are a handful of them in particular with over 80% of their Feedbacks Left for Others in bloodbath crimson with comments like "Did not receive" or some other complaints. They seem to be professionals who buy items they know are not tracked from the prices. I have been regularly looking up a couple of these people for years. They have not changed, and they are still here among us. Why are these not banned yet?

I understand that it is hard to finger-point someone as a fraudster when they have done it only once or twice. But when they have been doing it for years with 80% of their purchases having one sort of problem or another, mostly did not receive, then they are clear fraudsters in my book.

Granted, when I see a buyer with that sort of record making a complaint, I always stand firm and let them go through ebay/PP claim and take the red, and it is quite often that ebay/PP side with me. So ebay/PP already know that these buyers are at the very least very suspicious. So why not just ban them? The majority of sellers will just refund these fraudsters and let them keep the goods in the hope for a green FB. Sellers lose, obvious fraudsters win again.

I have seen a few accounts deleted by ebay over the years, so it can happen that they ban a buyer. I wonder what the criteria is, 100% refund and keep the goods for 1000 transactions? 2000 freebies?

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

ebay policy is not legal.. all the seller had to do was call his bank and the bank will have reversed the charges..when u sell on ebay u need to know what the law is, all ebay policy is not lawful...paypal policy is lawful as they have to follow banking laws..

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@melbourneclearance wrote:

What ebay is lacking is a way to identify fraudulent buyers faster. I have a lot of buyers with very high number of red in their Feedbacks Left for Others screen. There are a handful of them in particular with over 80% of their Feedbacks Left for Others in bloodbath crimson with comments like "Did not receive" or some other complaints. They seem to be professionals who buy items they know are not tracked from the prices. I have been regularly looking up a couple of these people for years. They have not changed, and they are still here among us. Why are these not banned yet?

I understand that it is hard to finger-point someone as a fraudster when they have done it only once or twice. But when they have been doing it for years with 80% of their purchases having one sort of problem or another, mostly did not receive, then they are clear fraudsters in my book.

I would agree. I am wondering though if some of these buyers slip under the radar a bit because they buy from someone, as you say, knowing by price that there probably isn't tracking, then just complain privately to the seller & get their refund without ever having to go through a formal ebay process.

I do think though that if a seller sees that sort of feedback & suspects they are being rorted by the buyer (which I have no doubt they are) then if that seller contacts ebay and a rep sees that sort of feedback, they should take action. Perhaps in that case, if they feel the buyer has to be refunded, do it out of ebay funds, not the seller's, but then either ban the buyer or restrict their buying behaviour. At the very least they could send out a message to those sorts of buyers, saying it has been noted that they are a high risk buyer as 80% of their purchases do not seem to be received, so in future, ebay will only cover them if they buy tracked items.

It wouldn't weed out every scammer but it would knock out the worst offenders.

You would think that there could be a computer program that would flag people whose feedback is 80% negative.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@iloveelena03-7 wrote:

ebay policy is not legal.. all the seller had to do was call his bank and the bank will have reversed the charges..when u sell on ebay u need to know what the law is, all ebay policy is not lawful...paypal policy is lawful as they have to follow banking laws..

That's known as a chargeback where you must have told the bank that it was a fraudulent transaction,(anyone

found to have made a false chargeback can be prosecuted and costs added).

It has nothing to do with eBay or Paypal policy and it's purely instigated by the account owner or the bank.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I would agree. I am wondering though if some of these buyers slip under the radar a bit because they buy from someone, as you say, knowing by price that there probably isn't tracking, then just complain privately to the seller & get their refund without ever having to go through a formal ebay process.

I do think though that if a seller sees that sort of feedback & suspects they are being rorted by the buyer (which I have no doubt they are) then if that seller contacts ebay and a rep sees that sort of feedback, they should take action. Perhaps in that case, if they feel the buyer has to be refunded, do it out of ebay funds, not the seller's, but then either ban the buyer or restrict their buying behaviour. At the very least they could send out a message to those sorts of buyers, saying it has been noted that they are a high risk buyer as 80% of their purchases do not seem to be received, so in future, ebay will only cover them if they buy tracked items.

It wouldn't weed out every scammer but it would knock out the worst offenders.

You would think that there could be a computer program that would flag people whose feedback is 80% negative.

I think ebay and PayPal both do have some sort of checks. When one of those highly sus buyers opens a case and escalates it, it is a pretty good chance ebay/PP will side with the seller. I have won DNR cases against these sort of buyers even when there were no tracking numbers. But these buyers should not be allowed to open a case in the first place with that sort of history. Sellers take a high risk to go all the way fighting cases and most sellers would just refund them to avoid the trouble.

Also, if ebay and PP already know these people are highly sus, and it seems they know because they do award cases against these buyers, why not just ban them? I can only guess that these buyers still do contribute to ebay/PP's commissions in some ways, enough to keep them as customers in ebay's opinion. Maybe from the few cases they lose every now and again.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@iloveelena03-7 wrote:

That's known as a chargeback where you must have told the bank that it was a fraudulent transaction,(anyone

found to have made a false chargeback can be prosecuted and costs added).

It has nothing to do with eBay or Paypal policy and it's purely instigated by the account owner or the bank.

Paypal seems to copy chargeback methods from banks but it is not a bank. It is online payment processing company. A bank can tell a physical store owner that he is responsible for unathorised transaction becuase he/she as a store owner had a customert in front of them  and they could run additional checks(ask for ID, verify the card with their bank). However when a payment goes trhough Paypal you as a seller cannot do all this. it is Paypal who is resonsible for a clear and safe transaction and that's what they charge they fees for. They cannot blame a seller for it. And yet they still do and even charge online sellers with a chargeback fee, take their payments and leave their customers with a free product.

No way it is a lawfull policy.  

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply