Ebay charging their commission on VAT & Import charges on International Sales

Hello all

It has just come to my attention that ebay is adding the value of any Overseas VAT and Import Charges THEY collect from International buyers to the total Transaction amount before calculating the Final Sellers Fee.

I find this rather rude if not illegal.

This is not money the Seller ever sees and is not aware of the amount (if any) until after the sale so can not be allowed for when advising the Buyer of a total cost.  It is too confusing as well as not all countries charge import taxes and when they do it can vary.

Nor is it a service the Seller is providing.

The amount in question can work out be a large percentage of the sale, for example, a sale I did to Greece today is:  Item Price $68, Postage $76 plus Import Tax $34.

So I am out of pocket another $4 on a $68 sale!

This is a Tax that is solely the responsibility of the Buyer that ebay is collecting on behalf of the Buyers country Tax department.

Does anyone else see this as being yet another ebay rort?

I do accept that ebay can charge their commission on Freight & Postage costs added to the sale as that is an action of the Seller and money they collect, these Import taxes are not.

What do other Sellers think?

Has anyone ever challenged ebay on this ?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay charging their commission on VAT & Import charges on International Sales

@domino-710 wrote:

Well - to be fair - not all indulge in unethical behaviour.

I think if you read back I wasn't saying all did. But having some good contacts in related areas, I could say a lot do

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

Re: Ebay charging their commission on VAT & Import charges on International Sales

"I find it very unfair that I have to pay a fee on VAT. Because of this, I have decided to stop selling to customers in the UK. It's not worth the hassle and the small profit I make after being charged a fee on VAT. I can't believe this is happening on eBay." 

Has anyone challenged this?   

Kazza

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

Not me. I am not foolish enough to submit to the vagaries of International postage. And I don't sell items that are conducive to same.

If I was to sell overseas, I would certainly be up with what charges I would be incurring for postage and factor them into my pricing.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

@violetstrendz wrote:

"I find it very unfair that I have to pay a fee on VAT. Because of this, I have decided to stop selling to customers in the UK. It's not worth the hassle and the small profit I make after being charged a fee on VAT. I can't believe this is happening on eBay." 

Has anyone challenged this?   

Kazza

Look up the 1000 post on this subject, and at least 600 have said they are going to ACCC, judge Judy and every other option.   You signed up to the terms and conditions.

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply