Ebay includes all sales in monthly sales reports even if sales were not completed or cancelled !

Hi, was going through annual sales in the monthly sales reports for the last year and noticed that ebay include all your sales for the year, even if they have been cancelled or refunded!  So when they send in the info to the tax office, the tax office thinks you've made more income than what you've actually turned over..? This is a concern to me because I had a large sale of nearly $6,000 cancelled due ot the item being damaged before delivery, so the transaction was cancelled and the buyer refunded but the sale still shows up in my June Sales report, I've called ebay about this and they said it's an on-going issue that they are trying to resolve, this is not good enough!  Who else relies on the monthly sales reports information for their annual tax returns?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ebay includes all sales in monthly sales reports even if sales were not completed or cancelled !

@vo2notco2 wrote:

Who else relies on the monthly sales reports information for their annual tax returns?

I don't. I use PayPal monthly reports + Bank deposits + Cash payments received = Total Sales Income.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Re: Ebay includes all sales in monthly sales reports even if sales were not completed or cancelled !

As long as you keep anything to show that the transaction was canceled and the refunded email then just take that to the tax agent to show this.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yes I guess I'm going to have to do that now, which will take a lot longer..

I've just called them, my concern was escalated and apparently it's an ongoing issue which they are going to have a meeting about next week, she's given me a reference number and is going to follow it up..

It just concerns me that ebay send all sellers sales / income to the ATO and they include the sales / income that you don't receive, i.e refunds / cancelled transactions and so if you turn over $5,000 but ebay are sending in info to say you turn over $13,000k there's gotta be a problem there...?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

not a problem really, as a business you just treat them as ''returns / refunds'' and that total comes off your Sales total.

just the same as Myer or Target

they have a daily sales figure

and a

daily returns/refunds figure

you should keep your accounts the same, all sales / all refunds / all outgoings on postage / packing / etc. etc.etc.

do not just rely on 1 figure from ebay, keep your own proper records too

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply