Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

Ebay Australia's switch over to managed payments (for my business) is a major impediment not a benefit.

I am a seller who uses my paypal funds received from sales (on a near daily basis) to send payments across the globe primarily for business.

Under the new Ebay managed payments, I will now have to wait up to 2+ business days to now have my sales funds deposited into my bank account from Ebay (maybe another business day before the inefficient banks here process the payment) & then will have to process another transfer back to Paypal (Another 5+ business days) - I now have no other option around this after numerous chats/calls to Ebay customer service/accounts trying to opt out of managed payments or seek an alternative. The current system works well for me, even if I have to pay a higher cost.

As a seller, I personally couldn't care less about Paypal's spin off from Ebay & the 'business rift' that has developed between the two but there has to been an alternative (Hyperwallet etc) or some businesses will suffer from this narrow minded approach & could potentially leave the platform - is this in Ebay's interest?

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

Re: Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

oh wow .04% you will get rich quick

Message 141 of 152
Latest reply

Re: Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

Yes harder to track sales. EBay have been overcharging me in fees since Managed Payments. I have been credited some fees but the overcharging "bug" (rep's wording) persists and it's taking an unreasonable amount of my own time to follow up and correct.

Message 142 of 152
Latest reply

Closing account with managed payments. It really only works for domestic sellers with low value items. Will use another old account with paypal until it dies.

Ultimate problem with MP was poor design of taking fee in advance and having basically no incentive for any kind of customer service. I never had problems before MP. Now they seem too distracted playing fortnite or what ever they're doing on the other end of the line.

Message 143 of 152
Latest reply

Every marketplace website has its pros and cons, payment methods, fees and customer service. You need to choose marketplace whether it's physical or online to best suit your selling needs.

Message 144 of 152
Latest reply

Ok The Way Ebay Is Going Seems To Be The Way Etsy Is Going Too With One Exception On Etsy I Am Able To Find A Way To Send My Product After Buyer Pays Ebay Doesnt This Action On Ebays Part is Exactly The Same As You Buying From Me But You Have Not Given me Your Address To Send The Item, That You Just Paid For, To

Message 145 of 152
Latest reply

eBay ownes Paypal doesn't it???? I just been told by eBay that they set up the system (PayPal).  I'm not a professional seller, just sell unwanted items and not very many.  Money goes to PayPal then when buyer receives and is happy I transfer money to my bank account.  When I went to set up separate account for new eBay Managed Payments I was informed by my bank CBA not to have anything to do with it, too risky and no protection from my bank like the Lock and Block I have on my credit card.  This isn't going to work!!!!!

Message 146 of 152
Latest reply

eBay no longer own PayPal.

eBay did not set up PayPal.  They did try to make everyone only use PayPal as the safe method for payments but were stopped by the ACCC and had to change it to โ€œsellers must offer at least one safe payment methodโ€.

If you set up an account with a debit card you would limit any losses to the balance in the account.  Do as you do now and draw down the balance to another account.  Just keep a small amount in there.

eBay are abiding by Australian Law by verifying your identity.  Some members have reported that they have been asked for bank account password, but I wasnโ€™t when I registered for Managed Payments on 4 different accounts.

digital*ghost posted about changing password once registered for MP, and to put two-factor authentication on your bank account.  That stops anyone other than you withdrawing/transferring money from your account.

Spoiler
from post by digit*ghost on thread:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/ebay-managed-payment-and-password-bank-details/m-p/2391895  (Post #24)

With the ability to enable 2-factor authentication (highly recommended for any account that you want to keep safe), and the ability to change passwords after briefly having to use it within the eBay site, someone gaining access to a bank account after going through the process would only be possible if A, they get the new password, and B, they have access to the device or email address you get the security codes sent to. (2-factor authentication on eBay is a slightly bigger inconvenience than having it with a site like PayPal, because there's no "trust this device" option, but I'd rather type in two codes once every 24 hours or so than worry about other people getting access to my accounts 24-7, lol). 

Ultimately, it is your choice.  Give details and continue to sell, donโ€™t give details and never sell again.

Message 147 of 152
Latest reply

eBay is chasing me with constant reminders to verify my account. So, they nagged me enough and I filled out page 1 with my personal details. Then page 2 wants me to login into my bank through an EXTERNAL PROVIDER using my bank ID number and PASSWORD???? Reading the forums I see some people worried and others saying "Nah its fine, you'll get used to it".  Well to all those people I say this: THEY ARE ASKING ME TO LOG INTO MY BANK WITH THE SAME DETAILS THAT WILL GIVE THEM ACCESS TO MY MORTGAGE REDRAW FACILITY THAT HAS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!! Would you give them the passcodes to this? It's effing INSANE.

Message 148 of 152
Latest reply

Excuse me lyndal, sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe you have some useless advice for me too?

eBay is chasing me with constant reminders to verify my account. So, they nagged me enough and I filled out page 1 with my personal detail. Then page 2 wants me to login into my bank through an EXTERNAL PROVIDER using my bank ID number and PASSWORD???? Reading the forums I see some people worried and others saying "Nah its fine, you'll get used to it".  Well to all those people I say this: THEY ARE ASKING ME TO LOG INTO MY BANK WITH THE SAME DETAILS THAT WILL GIVE THEM ACCESS TO MY MORTGAGE REDRAW FACILITY THAT HAS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!! Would you give them the passcodes to this? It's effing INSANE.

Message 149 of 152
Latest reply

This is a public forum.   You have posted the same reply 3 times so far.

Did you even read the good advice given by k1ooo-slr-sales in the post prior to yours?

Set up a dedicated bank account just for ebay.

Message 150 of 152
Latest reply