Ebay postage rate on SMALL satchel

i just packaged two parcels - each in a SMALL satchel (prev 500 gram) - using the Ebay postage system.

One was to Kew Vic and cost $8.65, the other was to country NSW and cost $8.95.

Why the difference?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Ebay postage rate on SMALL satchel

@offroad7400 wrote:
Story on ABC last week about Australia Post's higher pricing for rural senders and receivers which raised the point about the Universal Service Obligation of a fair and equitable postal service for everyone.

Australia Post has written to Deputy Nationals Leader David Littleproud saying it will review its pricing structure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-25/australia-post-reviews-pricing-following-complaints/12503376

The USO refers to letter mail, not parcels, for which there is competition.

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

@offroad7400 wrote:
Story on ABC last week about Australia Post's higher pricing for rural senders and receivers which raised the point about the Universal Service Obligation of a fair and equitable postal service for everyone.

Australia Post has written to Deputy Nationals Leader David Littleproud saying it will review its pricing structure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-25/australia-post-reviews-pricing-following-complaints/12503376

I don't so much have a problem with their rates being a little different (higher) to rural and remote areas (from eg metro areas), in so much as I have a huge problem with which areas they've designated "rural", and that none of it is really distance (from the sender) based like it used to be.

Before, if you were sending intrastate within a certain distance, you'd get really good rates and all that mattered was the distance between where it was lodged and the delivery address, if it was outside the zone for that, you still got better rates than an interstate parcel, but not quite as good as one only going a few k's away. The distance one would be difficult to do via systems like My Post though, so I can see why they might not make it available through there.

Slightly cheaper for interstate metro than interstate rural also makes sense to me, but calling something that is almost walking distance from me "rural" is a bit rich, as is charging more to deliver a package there than they do to somewhere the transport costs would be significantly higher, especially since they've deemed areas further away from me than the rural ones to be "other major city" and charge lower than rural prices for those, but higher prices than whatever they've deemed within metro Adelaide.

That is, I pay three different rates for intrastate parcels, depending on the destination rather than my actual location.  

These days I just prepare myself for disappointment any time I enter an address into My Post, and so then am very occasionally surprised by a slight repreive if it pops up with a higher discount. Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Sign up with a new mpb account via LPO, then you will get band 3 rates locked in for 12 weeks.
Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

I am also in country NSW. A few weeks back I posted a parcel to my own town. It was $8.95. I posted a parcel to Sydney and it was $8.65. 

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

how annoying!
Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

oh DJVUS you'll have to translate that for me! what's mpb and LPO? [I do have a busines account with Aus Post but I don't post enough to qualify for their discounts.]
Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Sorry, I repeat: Sign up with a new MyPost Business account via Local Post office (thus you actually need to go to over the counter to local post office to apply for a new account - use a new email address), then you will get band 3 rates locked in for 12 weeks. Band 3 rate for 500g is $6.27 local, $7.52 major cities and $8.68 rural - can use your own packaging or use Auspost flat rate satchel (need to purchase ones on eBay) to enable 5kg items in one small satchel.

See here for full rates: https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/mypost-business-postage-rates-guide....

I signed up about 3 weeks ago - thus hopefully the promotion for band 3 still around.

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

@jane-de-cluttering wrote:

i just packaged two parcels - each in a SMALL satchel (prev 500 gram) - using the Ebay postage system.

Why the difference?

what bugs me about auspost and the 500 gram package.   Is they stopped selling just the tracking number.   You use to be able to send a padded bag via normal mail if it was under 2 cm in height and get a tracking number.   total cost about $3   Now auspost have stopped this and someone that sending basically an envelope package has to pay $2.20 for the stamps and then for a tracking number has to use registed post cost 4.30  so comes in at about 6.50  plius ya bag.    

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:

Why the difference?

what bugs me about auspost and the 500 gram package.   Is they stopped selling just the tracking number.   You use to be able to send a padded bag via normal mail if it was under 2 cm in height and get a tracking number.   total cost about $3   Now auspost have stopped this and someone that sending basically an envelope package has to pay $2.20 for the stamps and then for a tracking number has to use registed post cost 4.30  so comes in at about 6.50  plius ya bag.    

AP do tracked prepaid envelopes in DL, C5 and B4. All cheaper than $6.50.

If I was posting a 1oz silver bar, I'd be using a parcel, ragardless of size.

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:

Why the difference?

AP do tracked prepaid envelopes in DL, C5 and B4. All cheaper than $6.50.

If I was posting a 1oz silver bar, I'd be using a parcel, ragardless of size.

yep knows about the prepaid envelopes has been using them as a get around with a padded bag inside them for a few items.  And two atm we are finding here it quickier to sent as an mail item then an package.   The mail sysytem is still flowing where the package system is stuffed not only is auspost having issue but most couriers here in vic  

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply