Ebay refunded buyer saying item not delivered, when delivered in person?

Hi All, I'm a long term ebay buyer and seller. Today I was told by ebay that they have reviewed a buyer dispute case in favor of the buyer, even though we delivered the items in person to the buyer. As theres no tracking etc, its just my word against the buyer. The buyer has "0" feedback, new to ebay I guess and I've been loyal to ebay for almost 15 years.

I have sms messages proving the item was delivered, this was given to ebay as proof. But still theyre awarding the buyer full refund and no return of the items? Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is this a loop hole in ebays conditions that scammers know?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Ebay refunded buyer saying item not delivered, when delivered in person?

@bigbruggsy,

We are saying "GET YOUR ITEM BACK". Get a police officer to accompany you, and retrieve your item from the buyer's address. policewoman.gif

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

Hi countessalmirena, I've been to address and that person is no longer living there. He is currently imprisoned and I'm guessing all of his belongings are now long gone. My dispute is more with ebay as ebay has taken the money of the sale back off me. 

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

I would then suggest you look at writing this off in your taxes. Speak to your accountant for specific advice.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

Extremely bad luck.

How long ago was the sale? It seems as though everything happened very quickly... Perhaps the "buyer" had purchased a number of items by credit card, the debt of which could not be serviced because of his incarceration very soon thereafter...?

I suppose you can try making a Statutory Declaration... and can you get a report/incident number from the police? Either (and preferably both) the Declaration and report number can be provided to eBay and may induce eBay to give you a discretionary refund.

It's cold comfort to say that at least you have learned what not to do with delivery/postage. Look, I'd still try that one last shot with Stat Dec and report.

Perhaps also contact Adyen who provide the financial services to eBay sellers.

Spoiler

Adyen Australia Pty Ltd

Member number: 76814
ACN/ABN: 55162682411

Member details
Date joined: 29/05/2020

Complaint contact
Miss Hayley Fisher
Adyen Australia Pty Ltd
1/255 Riley Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010

Mobile: 61 2 8520 3890
Email: hayley.fisher@adyen.com

Once you've made a complaint to them (preferably by email, and perhaps follow up on the same day with phone call), and assuming that the complaint doesn't result in a satisfactory resolution (even after providing the proof of everything you allege), you can then make a complaint to AFCA.

Select "I have complained to the financial firm", give the date of the complaint, give the details of how you contacted them, select "I have received a final written reply to my complaint" (if you have), select "The financial firm has not started legal proceedings against me in a court", CONTINUE TO NEXT SECTION, select "Payment systems - e.g., - ATMs, internet banking, merchant facilities, currency exchange", then CONTINUE, and "A payment reversal or "chargeback" on my merchant or other payment facility", enter the summary, and ... that should get you going with the process, anyway.

I wouldn't let this go unless I had exhausted all avenues, as this doesn't cost you anything but a bit of time.

To summarise:

• try the Stat Dec and police report option, to submit to eBay;
  • also contact Adyen with the complaint including Stat Dec and police report option; and then
  • if neither of the above resolve the issue, make an AFCA complaint (Adyen is the financial firm against whom you would make the complaint).

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

@bigbruggsy wrote:

I've been to address and that person is no longer living there. He is currently imprisoned and I'm guessing all of his belongings are now long gone. My dispute is more with ebay as ebay has taken the money of the sale back off me. 

Who told you that he is in jail? The neighbours? If he owns the house, maybe his belongings (and yours) are still there.

Or is somebody else now living in the house? That would be really quick, as it must have all have happened within a month or so, considering buyers only have 30 days to open a case.

It looks like he scammed other people who were less patient than you and went there with the police immediately.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

Possibly he was on parole, breached bail conditions, and he was hauled off to gaol as quickly as you can say โ€œHe did something downright dodgyโ€.

But the timeframe for everything to have happened is super-fast.

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

The item he bought was a few months ago, the process started when ebay said the buyer was lodging a dispute against his credit card for an unauthorized payment, I contacted ebay and they said not to worry, it wasn't a dispute against me. It turns out this is the first red flag, as ebay are unable to do anything if the credit card agrees it was an unauthorized transaction. Then ebay lodged a undelivered dispute against me to get their funds back from me as they had to give it to the credit card company. I've been told by ebay this is well known "loop hole" that criminals use quite often. Because the problems started months ago, I'm unable to get information of the transaction from ebay (they only go back 90 days) But I did keep my own records, payment details, address details, phone number, sms and messages by phone and ebay have been saved (but only because I thought something was up when they disputed the transaction) It seems "the buyer" has done this to other ebay users and other criminal activity outside of ebay and that is why he is no longer "around"

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply