Ebays latest agreement update

Wont affect me because I dont buy outside Australia but I cant wait to read the inevitable messages from buyers and sellers about the new GST collection announcement .

The bit that really made me laugh was this bit about location mis representation....

We take item location misrepresentation seriously on eBay. As part of eBay’s Selling practices policy, we have deployed technology to prevent and detect violations across listings and transactions. Sellers found in violation of this policy are may be subject to listing removal, warnings, suspensions by eBay, and may be at risk of compliance action by the Australian Tax Office.  

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebays latest agreement update

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@digital*ghost

Digi, as a buyer I doubt that it would be of much use to me.  In all my years on ebay I doubt if I have had to return 6 items.  And ebay is only offering standard postage.....no tracked and SOD as needed for ebay and paypal.

I think eBay's paid returns use the Aus Post parcel service, so there's tracking (I've had buyers who've used it in the past, when they had a promo running for free returns - the label looked like any other you can buy online, either via eBay or Aus Post), which should be sufficient for buyer protection, unless the purchase total is over $750 - SOD is a requirement for seller protection on goods of that value (including postage) so I assume the same applies to buyer protection.

I won't be holding my breath to see if my items will qualify, though. Aside from only selected criteria being made known and the rest being anyone's guess, the language they use (eg "working with sellers") makes me wonder if they're not talking about sellers they already broker deals with, or in other words, the big box retailers who get the bulk of ebay's marketing attention already, discount promotions, etc. They certainly don't work with me - quite the opposite at times. Smiley LOL

On the other hand, though... The last several months, I have intermittently been getting payment notifications that say (for example) Purchase total: $15, Postage $0, Payment total: $20. I have no idea why it's been happening, but I've shrugged it off because I get the full payment, and buyers haven't complained about any payment discrepancies. But, in light of this announcement, I do wonder if Plus memberships haven't been trialed over the last year and people have been getting the benefits when buying my items (even if so, different rules may have been applied during trials, of course). 

I actually find it interesting that $49 P/A is the price or value eBay have placed on this program, at any rate. I would love to know the data they used to arrive at that figure.... and the full list of criteria for qualifying items / sellers Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

zanadoo, eBay have just introduced make offer for auctions so you might still find a good item and offer 10% less. Smiley Wink

Really?  Not on anything I'm currently following. 😞

The trouble with scarce or rare items is sometimes the seller has to really need the money fast to want to accept 10% less - especially when the auction isn't over.  Most of the time they know it is likely to attract many bidders. 

One item I'm interested in (no bids yet but plenty of watchers) has been set at what might be considered its current value, as the minimum.  However it is something unusual enough for collectors to at least consider paying more.  The bids may not happend until the dying seconds but I have no doubt they will come.  I'd like to be the winner, but who knows?  Unfortunately I do have to watch the pennies., darn it

I have had some luck on make an offer for BIN items.  On one occasion I was quite amazed it was accepted.  It wasn't an insulting amount by any means (I wouldn't do that) but I was prepared for a counter offer....which didn't come.  I couldn't pay the seller fast enough! 🙂

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Unfortunately whilst Chinese sellers are allowed to put their location as an Australian based city, Ebay will not collect GST and the ATO will be none the wiser.

A little off topic, but a few years ago I had a buyer relate a story about reporting a Chinese seller for stating their location was Sydney, when in fact the item was posted from china and the delivery took 8 weeks to arrive. Ebay wanted proof that the item was posted from China.  The seller thought "Ok no problems" and submitted a number of photos showing the packaging with a number of postal stickers in Cantonese.

Ebay then asked the seller who the delivery service was, at which time they replied Aus Post. As we all know, all international mail using the country of origins mail service, is always delivered by Aus Post, when it arrives in this country.

As the seller stated he was located in Aus, and further stated all items will delivered by Aus Post, and the buyer confirmed his item was delivered by Australia post, it was deemed he was an Australian Seller.

I love how Ebay work lol.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

Aaahhh, clatch twennytoo!

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Also noticed that paypal no longer has an option for adding the tracking details for tracnsactions.

Use to be able to sellect classic view and add tracking details.

Ebay sales paid via paypal I think still get the info transferred across but you can

no longer add the details in yourself for sales from elsewhere.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply