Excessive Listing Fees

Hi all

I have about 180 items listed and add around 10 items a month. I just received an invoice with a listing fee of $90.00 for one month.

I’ve read as much as I can and can’t find a definitive answer and some eBay menus that could provide the answer take me to a dead end.

Am I paying a listing fee for listings which are renewing? Even so I still don’t think I’d reach the maximum of 40 free listings a month. I sell in collectables and pottery and glass.

Thank you and kind regards
Debra
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Excessive Listing Fees

Am I paying a listing fee for listings which are renewing? 

The answer is yes... Another hidden Ebay trap for the unwary. You have to watch your ending times. A way around it is to end your listings before they can be renewed.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

My interpretation of 40 listings per month would be that if you are not a shop, you could have 40 different ads for free. And that after that, you would be charged a listing fee.

If you have 178 listings, that would be well over the 40 limit?

I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as 40 more free listings on top of what is already in the system.

I am not sure about what happens when ads roll over as I am not a seller. But by the sounds of it, not all of yours have rolled over for free.

There may be a way around it, in that I believe it is perfectly legal to have more than one ebay account. I am not sure what the maximum number is though. Maybe 4 or 5? Someone else will be able to tell you or else ebay help.

So you could possibly open a couple of new accounts and spread your items out.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

You will no longer have the problem when you transfer your account across to Managed Payments.

Every seller, store or non-store, will currently get 250,000 free listings per month.

One of the few benefits of Managed Payments (it's actually not that bad once you get used to waiting a couple of days for the funds to be transferred).

edit - meant to reply to the OP, not you springy.  Sorry  Woman Happy

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

ebay and perhaps we might have mislead you a little there.  

You can't actually see the 250,000 listings.

What happens is you don't get charged for listings anymore once you have Managed Payments;   and your counter remains "stuck" on whatever your original listing limit was, it never changes.

For example, my counter says I have 1500 free listings (because i have paid for a feature store)  but it never moves from there, no matter how much I list.

If you add a new listing, and it still says 40, you will know what I mean.

And everybody definitely gets free listings - it says so in the Managed Payments site.

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Excessive Listing Fees

GTC listings  are counted every time they roll over.  you currently have  148  listings, whiich is well over the 40 free ones

It is 40 free listings, not 40 sales

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Edit above,,  should read  178 listings

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Am I paying a listing fee for listings which are renewing? 

The answer is yes... Another hidden Ebay trap for the unwary. You have to watch your ending times. A way around it is to end your listings before they can be renewed.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

My interpretation of 40 listings per month would be that if you are not a shop, you could have 40 different ads for free. And that after that, you would be charged a listing fee.

If you have 178 listings, that would be well over the 40 limit?

I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as 40 more free listings on top of what is already in the system.

I am not sure about what happens when ads roll over as I am not a seller. But by the sounds of it, not all of yours have rolled over for free.

There may be a way around it, in that I believe it is perfectly legal to have more than one ebay account. I am not sure what the maximum number is though. Maybe 4 or 5? Someone else will be able to tell you or else ebay help.

So you could possibly open a couple of new accounts and spread your items out.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

You will no longer have the problem when you transfer your account across to Managed Payments.

Every seller, store or non-store, will currently get 250,000 free listings per month.

One of the few benefits of Managed Payments (it's actually not that bad once you get used to waiting a couple of days for the funds to be transferred).

edit - meant to reply to the OP, not you springy.  Sorry  Woman Happy

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Hi all - thank you all very much for your reply I really appreciate it. As you say it is a trap for the unwary and I had come to the conclusion before reading this that I would have to end my listings that weren’t selling. I really don’t sell enough volume or high value items to justify constantly paying relisting fees.

And yes opening several accounts could also be a solution so thank you for that idea as well.

However, the last solution to transfer to Managed Payments is the answer from what I’ve read of it so far and confirmed what I thought would be the best outcome.

I’m out of pocket about $150 and was quite upset thinking I would have to end this just as I was getting going, but I will transfer to Managed Payments ASAP and problem solved!

Thank you all again and kind regards
Debra Burns
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Hi Springyzone

You say that "You will no longer have the problem when you transfer your account across to Managed Payments. Every seller, store or non-store, will currently get 250,000 free listings per month."

I'm a non-store seller in Australia, and I was wondering if you could be kind enough elaborate on this for the benefit of the less well informed. I've never heard of Managed Payments before reading your post that I can remember, and there is no reference to it on "My eBay". There is an option to use "Automatic Payments" for eBay fees. Is this the same thing?

Also, about a month ago eBay insisted I receive payment by direct bank transfer. Maybe this is is Managed Payments? If not, what is it and how do I access it.?

The only thing I've noticed since going to direct debits is that my free listings counter has been stuck on 40. If I have 250,000 free listings why woiuldn't this show on the counter instead of 40? Does the 250,000 only apply in certain countries?

I think one thing is clear, eBay needs to improve their communication about these matters. Or perhaps they make the system deliberately opaque so that sellers are duped into paying avoidable listing fees.

Hoping you can clarify, thanks

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Hi gutterpunkz05, up until the end of last year non-store sellers got 8  free relistings that did not count against the 40, I myself have had up to 250 items listed at one time.

This has now changed, maybe the eBay servers are overloaded and they need to reduce their listings. Whatever, it means less profit for them.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Excessive Listing Fees

Ebay would have sent you an email asking you to register for managed payments and then ebay will inform you when you have been successful in registering.

Ebay will then inform you again that you're now on MP.

But until ebay inform you that you're on MP it's business as usual for you with only 40 free listings per month.

But when you're actually on MP then you have 250 000 free listings.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply