Extremly Poor Sales & Worseing why?

What is go Try sell vey good condition Cd's & Extremly  Good Condition Dvd's At Low prices But Getting Less & Less wathchers & Very low amount buyers

I do say I will combine postage as low as possible & I have postage Feedback of 438  (Should be well above 700 if all left feedback) 

Are Dvd & Cd's just dont sell anymore?

I feel just as well through them in bin and give it away 

I am lucky sell couple items month.   goes from 10 down about 2 now in month

D'oh
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Extremly Poor Sales & Worseing why?

the truth is even though nobody will say it outloud is the glory days of selling & buying on here is over.

ebay up there fv fees to 9.9% and listing fees add up very quickly hench most sellers only use there free listings and stop after them.

aussie post cost have risen so much over the past few years on top of that paypal takes there % on total which gets paid into your account which includes a % of postage cost. so for a seller to sell there item and cover all the cost involved we have to start auctions at a much higher price hench bargins are few & far between. these times there is facebook that most places have now buy , swap & sell sections where you can get great buys and able to pick up so no postage cost.gumtree is an other so fact is why would a buyer pay nearly retail price for a listing here the add postage and the hassel of transactions that sadly sometimes go wrong. for sellers to again have a chance of selling fees need to be dropped example if fv fees stay at 9.9% then scrap the listing fees and give sellers a chance. many will not agree with this but you cant hide the facts that ebay just got to greedy and is killing off what was a great thing online buying & selling to what its now becoming to hard for sellers and with out sellers there will be no buyers. 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Totally agree

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

While I agree that eBay fees and particularly postage hikes don't help we are talking about DVDs and CDs which come under media and if you have a store BIN listing fees after freebies are used are only 5c not 20c and can generally be posted at letter rate either $1.20 or $1.80.  unrepentantly Auspost will increase these shortly but at the moment they are OK.  eBay don't want auctions and their pricing reflects that, so you may need to consider a store.

Many of the regulars keep talking about the death of DVD and BLR but like TV which never actually caused the death of cinema and while CDs mostly replaced Vinyl they still has a strong niche market and are making a come back, so it may be quite a while before streaming replaces DVDs/BLRs.  People still like things that are tangible that they can hold and play.  Also for audiophiles BLR has lossless audio with many movies in 7.1 audio, something that streaming services don't yet offer.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

I think I agree with you.  I sell things occasionally on ebay but they never really sell for much.  I think part of the issue is pricing - the reality is that some things are just so much cheaper from Asia.  I am definitely a buyer who always looks for a bargain and if I see something that I want for less than half the price from Hong Kong for example, i will happily wait the shipping time. I sometimes wonder how Australian Ebay businesses are surviving.  The other thing that I notice is the number of people selling items labelled 'vintage' and 'antique', without really knowing what that means.  I have been buying a lot more things from Etsy these days and sell any items I want to sell via gumtree.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I do buy some things from ebay, but it sure doesn't feel like the old days when there seemed to be a lot more home sellers around.

What I have noticed though is the absolute explosion of other businesses onto the internet and that I would guess is what is cutting into ebay sales.

Eg Where in the past, I often used to look at clothes on ebay, some brands now have their own online clearances. I was looking at a couple just the other day, then had a look at ebay and really, the ebay offerings looked a bit tired in comparison.

Then you have your daily deal sites which send out emails every day with ads, and often a cap put on postage costs.

There's gumtree which is free-works on big items, not so well on small.

Just about everything I have bought on ebay in the last year has been from  sellers who are obviously running  small businesses and they have mostly all been excellent. It's just that buyers have a lot more choice of sales sites now.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

In ebays rush to reward their favourite sellers and punish the rest (by hiding their adverts in best match) they have inadvertently created a website that is stale .. so when a newbie ebayer or inexperienced internet user is confronted with almost the exact same webpage search result time after time after time, then after two or three days of this insanity they get bored and go elsewhere (possibly back to B&M but definitely looking elsewhere) .. congratulations ebay, you will never know how much money you are ignoring by stiffling sales in your enthusiastic rush to promote cronnies and insiders in best match and stampling on and destroying others sellers/businesses who attempt to affiliate themselves with your website .. .. overall best match is a slap dash fly by night operation which is well past its use by date and a very shoddy, dark and IMHO criminal operation which benefits scam artists (they can stay on now that best match has sorted them out - right?) business insiders, ebay insiders, sycophants (ebay convention brown nosers) and other assorted rogues and narssisists who enjoy the power of theft and pulling the wool over gullible suckers eyes ..

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

What percentage were fees before they went up to the current rate please?

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@diecastmodels2014 wrote:

the truth is even though nobody will say it outloud is the glory days of selling & buying on here is over.

ebay up there fv fees to 9.9% and listing fees add up very quickly hench most sellers only use there free listings and stop after them.

aussie post cost have risen so much over the past few years on top of that paypal takes there % on total which gets paid into your account which includes a % of postage cost. so for a seller to sell there item and cover all the cost involved we have to start auctions at a much higher price hench bargins are few & far between. these times there is facebook that most places have now buy , swap & sell sections where you can get great buys and able to pick up so no postage cost.gumtree is an other so fact is why would a buyer pay nearly retail price for a listing here the add postage and the hassel of transactions that sadly sometimes go wrong. for sellers to again have a chance of selling fees need to be dropped example if fv fees stay at 9.9% then scrap the listing fees and give sellers a chance. many will not agree with this but you cant hide the facts that ebay just got to greedy and is killing off what was a great thing online buying & selling to what its now becoming to hard for sellers and with out sellers there will be no buyers. 

I agree that eBay got WAY too greedy with fees.

I also think killing off low cost auctions, cut off a signficant stream of newbies (in my markets anyway) attracted to auctions and scoring a bargain and/or trying ebay or internet buying for the first time without a lot of dollars at stake.  I know thats how I started, and many of my buyers historys also used to tell this tale too.

I would also add that eBay seem to forget when they changed the price structure last year that sellers are buyers too, and I know myself that my eBay spending is now a meer trickle of $$ compared to the significant funds I spent on eBay purchases.  I have actively sought out other suppliers and other retailers where I am not treated like carp as a seller and a buyer.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply